Anderson installation nightmare

We are British manufacturers of EV charging points. We use industrial grade electronics to give our product an unrivalled aesthetics and reliability. Discover why we are worth driving home to.
Orchard

Anderson installation nightmare

Post by Orchard » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Just had my Anderson A2 22kw installed today by Smart Home Charge. The good news is that the unit looks really well engineered, looks great and has neat cable stowage.

The guys turned up without any 3ph cable or a decent drill to go through the wall, and yes I did send lots of photos and emails to Anderson’s and SHC.

So they beatled off to get those things, and then got things fitted neatly after they got back. To be fair they diligently fitted and neatly fixed things, apart from one side panel which was incorrect and would not fit at all.

Finally once powered up they couldn’t connect to any of the phones we had. Oh and the iPhone app doesn’t work and needs updating. I’ve been on to Anderson but no reply yet.

Nice unit, but without the apps working it’s a bit oversold. We’ll see what happens to resolve things, luckily my lovely I-Pace isn’t quite here or I’d be properly grumpy

bluenun

Re: Anderson installation nightmare

Post by bluenun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Sounds like a bad day all round. Not sure what you mean about the iOS app being broken as it works fine for me?

I’m sure you know already, but the car will only charge at 7kw on a 22kw unit. It’ll be more future proof but not much benefit for now.

Orchard

Post by Orchard » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Sure, I’m future proofed with 22kw and I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace

Post by ***** » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Orchard wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm
I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace
Well you know more than Jaguar are telling the dealers. You will also be aware that even if they do offer it in a future version of the I-Pace, it is not backwards compatible as it would need a major hardware upgrade to existing cars?

Maybe the XJ will get it, but I doubt it as by the time it is out the CCS Rapid Charger base will be very strong and the need for slower 22kW charging will not exist.

With overnight charging of a 80kWh battery, 7kW charging is fine - my opinion:-)
Last edited by ***** on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ****** » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Chewy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Well you know more than Jaguar are telling the dealers. You will also be aware that even if they do offer it in a future version of the I-Pace, it is not backwards compatible as it would need a major hardware upgrade to existing cars?

Maybe the XJ will get it, but I doubt it as by the time it is out the CCS Rapid Charger base will be very strong and the need for slower 22kW charging will not exist.

With overnight charging of a 80kWh battery, 7kW charging is fine my opinion:-)
Agree with all of this. 7 kw is plenty and I have never heard a rumour about faster AC charging coming to I-Pace. But as Chewy said, even if it did it would require new hardware in the car. This is not something that could be patched via a software update.

aquiss

Post by aquiss » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Orchard wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm
Sure, I’m future proofed with 22kw and I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace
The I-PACE is equipped with a 7kW single phase AC on-board charger, so as others have said, if Jaguar opt to increase this in the future, you will buying a new I-Pace that has hardware to support this.

You will also, if not done already, have to increase the power to your home meter from single phase to three phase, for anything beyond 7kW.

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 pm

I had similar issues when I first got my Andersen charger - none of it worked properly.

Even now I'm still having issues with my unit and the Director (Jerome) just flat out ignores all of my emails.

Really poor customer service from Andersen - in my experience they just don't give two shits about their customers.

I ordered the "nearly black" unit on their website, which just happens to be the one shown on their main homepage, with the Porsche plugged-in to it.

I ordered this colour because my garage doors are a matte black colour the same as the unit looks on Andersen's website. In real life the unit is nowhere near as black as that, and is more of a blueish grey colour. They confirmed that my unit is definitely the right colour that I ordered and said they're unwilling to do anything about the fact that it looks nothing like the photos on their website. They won't even change the main homepage image, so they're still advertising a dark black unit which can't even be ordered - it doesn't exist.

Also my unit keeps disconnecting (despite being hardwired), it keeps flashing a red light on the front for some sort of power warning and randomly the interior light keeps coming on for no reason and staying on permanently until I switch the power off at the trip switch and back on again.

Overall, not a good experience with Andersen at all. I still need to ring them to get my unit sorted, it's annoying me to have to keep turning the power off to it on an almost daily basis. :roll:
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

StuEVs

Post by StuEVs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 pm

I've just signed up to the forum....but on reading the last post here (I know it's a little old) I felt compelled to write my first post! I can't disagree more re. the support from Andersen (I'm not saying your experience isn't as you describe for you - but mine has been completely different).....

I had my A2 installed at the end of June (I think I was one of the first of the new version of the units to be installed) - and the service throughout the order process, throughout the entire installation and after-sales has been fantastic from Andersen. I'm particularly fussy, so was even asking very specific questions about RAL codes of their paint colours during the order process - and they happily went off to find out and helped me colour match to my Hormann garage doors. I had a fairly complex installation through a narrow non-accessible roof cavity - and the virtual/remote consultation through that process was excellent. The outcome of that was that they thought it would be a non-standard installation with a small additional amount to pay; but when installation day came, the installer took his time to really think about moving circuits on my fuse board to accommodate the install as a standard installation - which he was able to achieve; and refunded the additional amount I'd paid for the non-standard element.

Yes; I've had similar experiences detailed on this forum, post install, with the unit going off-line - however; this doesn't actually impact the ability to charge - just the smart features. However; I also e-mailed the CEO about what I'd found/observed in terms of the specifics of what was happening - and clearly stated that I appreciated they were a start-up & that if they wanted me to help with providing such detail I was happy to. Fast-forward to now; I've spent some time over the past months testing amends to the firmware 'in the field' for them and providing feedback - they've been great all the way through; and frankly I'm more than happy to support a start-up with a great product. 2 weeks ago they pushed me a completely new firmware build and it's worked flawlessly ever since - no drop-outs at all.........so hopefully you'll all get this version pushed to you shortly (if not already done) and you'll get all the smart features working as expected and no more disconnects.

Sorry for the long message - just wanted to share my super positive experience of Andersen - I wish all companies did customer engagement like I've experienced with them....

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Andersen have turned it around for me also, but only after some social media rants. Finally the software guys got in contact with me and talked to me like an actual human being, rather than assuming I was too stupid to understand the product. Once I started speaking to those guys it's been a whole different story.

Like you, I'm getting early access to new firmware etc and they're actually implementing suggestions that I've made (stealth mode) and multiple timed charging per day.

I also printed out to them that the clock on their servers was wrong after the clocks went back earlier this year, so everyone who hadn't noticed was paying full rate for an hour and missing an hour of cheap rate for about a month. Andersen took quite a while to fix it and didn't advise customers of the issue, so many probably didn't even realise!
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

StuEVs

Post by StuEVs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm

RJUK wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:23 pm
Andersen have turned it around for me also
Glad they've come good for you too :D

Always makes me feel better when I look at our neighbours ugly white plastic box on the front of their house (think it's a ChargeMaster) - then turn around and see my Andersen :)

Return to “Andersen EV – Stylish EV Charging Points”