Another new owner

New to the Jaguar I-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Gadget

Another new owner

Post by Gadget » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am

Hi All,

I picked up my new (second hand) First Edition in Photon Red last week and am absolutely loving it so far.

I was a little nervous at first due to never haven driven an electric vehicle before and having an avid dislike of automatic gearboxes but I decided to take the plunge and I'm very glad I did. No problems with the gearbox as I just consider it a single speed manual and the button layout makes sense (front button to go forward) as opposed to other automatic gearboxes.

I've not driven it that much due to the lock-down but am gradually getting to grips with the ins and outs thanks to the advice of others on the forum and watching videos on "YouTube". Have managed to connect to Android Auto but not used it yet and have gone through a couple of different memory sticks until i got one that worked properly with the audio system.

The only real questions I have are regarding the data SIM for the car (apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but couldn't find the specific answer)...

I'm trying to decide between getting the "Three data SIM" that others here have recommended or just sticking with the "Ubigi SIM" that I got with the car.

The SIM from Three seems like the best value by far but I can't find anywhere that clearly states what actually uses data? I know that the satnav will use quite a bit but I don't use that too much and would switch off the sat view to use less data anyway. I like the sound of the "live" traffic updates and rerouting so will probably leave those options on as I can't imagine them using too much data.

What else in the car uses data? I have seen the option to let the files on USB update their track tags etc so I imagine that this would but what about software updates, do those use the data connection or can they be restricted to Wifi only?

Does the standard tracker use data as I need to have that feature for my insurance?

Will i lose any features if I swap to a "Three" or other SIM? Not actually created an account with "Ubigi" yet as I thought I'd see what others experience and opinion was first?

Thanks to everyone on here for all the help they have (unknowingly) given me so far and to any help with the new questions...

Gordon
I-Pace First Edition, Photon Red, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Wheels, Panoramic Roof.

fa147

Re: Another new owner

Post by fa147 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi Gordon,

Congratulation on your new addition, you are going to throughout enjoy it if you are a car guys... In the past the expression would have been petrol head or gear head, but an EV doesn't have either :D

I know other will answer the question of what the data is used for and whether or not the tracking system needs the sIm, but I would think it does not as a thief can easily know to steal the car and then remove the SIM.

However, from my perspective as far as using the Ubigi or using 3/Vodafone/EE/etc. the question is your coverage. You want to make sure whatever you have in the car gives you good coverage in the area that you mostly are bt also when you go to far flung places, you also have coverage as you use the sim in the car for navigation. As such i would not necessary prioritise the amount of data and cost over the coverage... it lovely to have 200gb of data a month but useless if you can't use any of that in nearly 50% of your communicate because it is on, I don't know, Gif-Gaf... or Sponge Bob Square Pants 3G.. you know what I mean.

I hope the little that I have mentioned helps.

Please do feel free to post a picture of your new pride and joy and don't forget to have a read of the forum I-Pace Tips as it is full of useful information.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1035

Also, don't forget a signature so that when you do post questions, we can see the details of your car quickly.

Enjoy.

Farhad
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B1_20.30.2-578440 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Gadget

Re: Another new owner

Post by Gadget » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi Farhad,

Thank you for the reply.

You make a very good point and it's one that I had not really considered... I'll have to check the coverage at home and at the destinations I usually travel to before I decide. I'm not desperate at the moment anyway due to lock-down but I thought I'd seek advice from the experts :D

Will sort out my signature and post a pic of the car soon...

Gordon
I-Pace First Edition, Photon Red, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Wheels, Panoramic Roof.