Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

What is SoC and why does it matter?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pi-Pace 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've seen SoC referred to in the fantastic Tips section but have no idea what it stands for or why it's important other than people seem to be limiting their charging to 80%.

Can you explain what it stands for and why charging to 80% rather than 100% is mentioned, please?

Sorry if this is a naive question but I only got my car yesterday! :)

Nick

#2 ·
Hello Pi-Pace.

It is great to hear from you, and fantastic that you have found your way to this forum.

You have made an excellent choice by selecting the I-Pace, one of the better Cars with an electric powertrain available.

It would be interesting to hear why you decided on the I-Pace and not a Tesla, or perhaps even a Kona or Niro.

I guess we are a little forward in some of the terms we use on the forum, SoC being a good example.

SoC simply means State of Charge, the level between 0% and 100% to which your battery is charged.

A very good thread to look at is

https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1217

There is a reference there to a video that explains a lot about electric vehicle batteries, well worth watching. Thanks go to @samsoir for that one.

Please enjoy your car and I am sure that there are enough people on the forum to be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

#3 ·
State of charge (SoC) is the equivalent of a fuel gauge for the battery pack in a battery electric vehicle (BEV), hybrid vehicle (HV), or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). The units of SoC are percentage points (0% = empty; 100% = full).
Continuesly charging a battery to 100% and discharging to 0% has an impact on how many cycles the battery can take before reaching the
EOL ( Technical End of life -70%). To avoid this most electric car manufacturers have som kind of battery management system the actually prevents you from reaching 0% and charging it to 100%. In the case of the I-pace there seems to be a lot of different charging strategies, depending on who you ask. From a technical/theoretical point of view the optimal cycles would be to go from 70 to 20 % when discharging
And 20 to 70% when charging. This would get, theoretical again, around 6000 cycles in optimal conditions.

#4 ·
Marcom said:
State of charge (SoC) is the equivalent of a fuel gauge for the battery pack in a battery electric vehicle (BEV), hybrid vehicle (HV), or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). The units of SoC are percentage points (0% = empty; 100% = full).
Continuesly charging a battery to 100% and discharging to 0% has an impact on how many cycles the battery can take before reaching the
EOL ( Technical End of life -70%). To avoid this most electric car manufacturers have som kind of battery management system the actually prevents you from reaching 0% and charging it to 100%. In the case of the I-pace there seems to be a lot of different charging strategies, depending on who you ask. From a technical/theoretical point of view the optimal cycles would be to go from 70 to 20 % to
Or 20 to 70% when charging. This would get, theoretical again, around 6000 cycles in optimal conditions.
Thanks for taking the time to explain Marcom. I really appreciate it.

#5 ·
Chewy said:
Hello Pi-Pace.

It is great to hear from you, and fantastic that you have found your way to this forum.

You have made an excellent choice by selecting the I-Pace, one of the better Cars with an electric powertrain available.

It would be interesting to hear why you decided on the I-Pace and not a Tesla, or perhaps even a Kona or Niro.

I thought long and hard about the Tesla Chewy, but the cost, the distance from mine to Bluewater, the iPad and the less than luxurious interior and finally Tesla's apparent disregard for it's owners when it crashed the price recently, steered me towards a British brand with support in Norwich, knobs to twist and an interior finish more aligned to what I'm used to.

It's taking a little bit longer than I thought to understand the nuances of driving an all eletcric vehicle, but I'll get there.

Once again, thanks for your reply and the link.

All the best
Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.