SMETS2 & PV

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Blackseries

SMETS2 & PV

Post by Blackseries » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Just wondering if anybody with PV's has had a SMETS 2meter installed yet?

If so how is it?

I'm hoping to go with an off peak provider - but have heard SMETS1 and PV's is not a happy mix - plus would have to be replaced anyway.

Wondering if SMETS2 is any better.

Chewy

Re: SMETS2 & PV

Post by Chewy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Only in 2019 would a car forum have a question like that :-)
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-19.24, H228

Blackseries

Post by Blackseries » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Just a quick update.

Decided to take the plunge ….. and have started the switch To Octopus Go.

Being told my SMETS2 meter could be installed within 2 months.

So lets see how SMETS2 gets on with our 4kWh PV array ……..the Zappi … the Immersun ….. and the I-Pace …… I really hope they all play nicely!

Anyone thinking of switching to Octopus Go for 4 hours @ 5p per kWh ….. feel free to use my referral code:-
"share.octopus.energy/umber-shrew-968" ……….. for £50 off your first Octopus bill.

Jim_M

Post by Jim_M » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm

My SMETS2 meter is being installed next week. I also have a PV array plus a Tesla Powerwall so will know very soon how well they work with the new meter. The installation is with my current supplier but I plan to switch to Octopus - but looking to use their Agile tariff (Go is a bit too restrictive providing only 4 hours at cheap rate - doesn't go very far with a 7Kw charger on an I Pace). Agile has the potential to provide even lower overnight tariffs for longer dependent on the wholesale cost of electricity with the possibility of being paid to take the power if the wholesale price goes negative!!
MY20 I-Pace SE, Firenze Red

pedro1664

Post by pedro1664 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am

Jim_M wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
My SMETS2 meter is being installed next week. I also have a PV array plus a Tesla Powerwall so will know very soon how well they work with the new meter. The installation is with my current supplier but I plan to switch to Octopus - but looking to use their Agile tariff (Go is a bit too restrictive providing only 4 hours at cheap rate - doesn't go very far with a 7Kw charger on an I Pace). Agile has the potential to provide even lower overnight tariffs for longer dependent on the wholesale cost of electricity with the possibility of being paid to take the power if the wholesale price goes negative!!
I have been waiting some months for a new meter, with no info on when it will come... the whole point of moving to them was for the GO tarrif... grrr

Where about in the UK are you? i am in Berkshire and they say it engineers availability!!
I-Pace HSE, Silicon Silver, 22" 5056 Black Pack
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

pedro1664 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am
Jim_M wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
I have been waiting some months for a new meter, with no info on when it will come... the whole point of moving to them was for the GO tarrif... grrr

Where about in the UK are you? i am in Berkshire and they say it engineers availability!!
When I had my charger installed I emailed Octopus a couple of times to remind them I was waiting for a smart meter, they came back to me and sent an engineer out within a week, not one of theirs but a sub contractor. Then, they sent me a credit to my account of ca.£40 to cover me for any loss I had incurred through not being on Go sooner. Actually, I had only lost about a week of over night charging, and even then not every night, so they refunded me a lot more than the loss I would have actually incurred.

I would keep chasing them and then tell them you have had to use a more expensive tariff as they could not fit a smart meter in time, see what they offer, worth a try anyway. I find if you politely chase them and enquire about ETA's etc they do come up with the goods and seem quite willing to offer a bit of compo.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 to S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

pedro1664

Post by pedro1664 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

I would keep chasing them and then tell them you have had to use a more expensive tariff as they could not fit a smart meter in time, see what they offer, worth a try anyway. I find if you politely chase them and enquire about ETA's etc they do come up with the goods and seem quite willing to offer a bit of compo.
[/quote]

Good advice, will do... Thanks
I-Pace HSE, Silicon Silver, 22" 5056 Black Pack
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Blackseries wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm
Just a quick update.

So lets see how SMETS2 gets on with our 4kWh PV array ……..the Zappi … the Immersun ….. and the I-Pace …… I really hope they all play nicely!

Anyone thinking of switching to Octopus Go for 4 hours @ 5p per kWh ….. feel free to use my referral code:-
"share.octopus.energy/umber-shrew-968" ……….. for £50 off your first Octopus bill.
Sorry to dig up a somewhat old post, but I just wanted to ask how your setup was going?

I am about to purchase a charger and am torn between a Zappi 2 + hub or an alternative recommendation of a Wallbox Pulsar. The first is more expensive but has more capabilities when I come to install PV but I don't know if at the time it is best to go for a Zappi and just buy the slightly cheaper Wallbox Pulsar at the moment...

Thanks
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.99.155

Blackseries

Post by Blackseries » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:36 pm

fa147 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Blackseries wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm
Just a quick update.

Sorry to dig up a somewhat old post, but I just wanted to ask how your setup was going?

I am about to purchase a charger and am torn between a Zappi 2 + hub or an alternative recommendation of a Wallbox Pulsar. The first is more expensive but has more capabilities when I come to install PV but I don't know if at the time it is best to go for a Zappi and just buy the slightly cheaper Wallbox Pulsar at the moment...

Thanks
I bought my Zappi back in December when the Zappi 2 had just been announced (and in very limited supply) so I went for the version 1 and TBH most of the time I leave the charger in Eco++ mode and when there is sufficient sun it chargers the car - which has been fine this summer.
Its very much plug in and leave - so for me, that wants things as straight forward as possible the Zappi suits me fine.
I do have a hub but I haven't installed it yet - as the sun pretty much keeps the car topped up - or has done since April.
I was due to get my SMETS 2 meter installed yesterday - but the install was cancelled.
TBH I was rather surprised by the install date as it was only 9 days after I had joined Octopus and requested it - as I'll be away for a couple of months its not too much of an issue for me - I just wanted it in place for the winter when I will use the night time rate - so hopefully I'll get it installed when I get back in November.
Not sure that helps very much - except to say I'm very happy with my Zappi / PV / Immersun / I-Pace combo

fa147

Post by fa147 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Everything helps in one way or another.

Have you performed (or needed to perform) times charging of any sort with the Zappi and has it worked with the I-Pace?
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.99.155

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”