Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

53K views 198 replies 51 participants last post by  Pat28 
#1 ·
I'm getting the opportunity to meet with a representative from the I-Pace engineering team in two weeks. I'm compiling a list of questions for the occasion and figured I'd let people here give their input if anyone have anything in particular they want answered. I'll try to keep the list of questions up to date here.

- What is the focus of the I-Pace engineering team moving forward.
- How does the IVI team work? What sort of devops and QA do they have in place.
- Is the MCU hardware the limiting factor in terms of infotainment performance?
- What is the current state of SOTA.
- Are issues such as creep mode resetting, jerky reversing cam, missing My EV tile, etc known to the team?
- When is support the Max SOC API coming to the I-Pace.
- Why cant the cruise control engage at lower speeds? Other vehicles do this. Can this be implemented in software?

#3 ·
Thanks for taking this on, my thoughts below in addition to what you have already:

I think the issue with the reversing camera can better be described as "delayed" rather than " jerky" but if others see a jerky video then perhaps describe this as "jerky/delayed".

What about an update on the Hybrid battery issue which seems to be affecting quite a few owners and dealers are struggling to resolve within reasonable time scales.(I believe this is to do with the 12volt system).

Regarding the Apps, I currently have two on my iPhone, the original one and the more recent one. Whats going on with this, are there plans to remove the oldest App and develop the most recent one?

#4 ·
Since huge parts of the car is software related, will Jaguar release a bug reporting system for users/owners?

#5 ·
One of the main aspects of BEVs is charging speed and the I-Pace is no exception. We can find ways of living with the infotainment (although we should not have to) but when are we going to see the promised 100kW charging rate and can it be sustained for longer?

Furthermore, are there plans to increase the charging rate to over 100kW and if so when?

The faster we can charge the sooner we can leave public charging stations (providing they are 100+kW rates), as we tend to use them on long distance trips.

#6 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I'd like to suggest that they find a means of merging Adaptive Cruise with Adaptive Speed Limiter so the car alters speed when in cruise control in accordance with changing speed limits. Obviously with the ability to switch that off.
Mmmm. Before the implement that, they really need to improve the sign-recognition: many times on the highway (130) the max speed is indicated as 30. Easy way to implement the famous tesla-phantom-braking in the i-pace..

#7 ·
Guess this thread will explode to a wish-list / bug-report list.

So biggest question: do they read the fora? And do they change their priorities according?

what disturbs me the most (even very dangerous):
- correction of lane-departure, especially on narrow roads, but it also reacts to shadows on the highway

what would like being added:
- camping mode i.e. airco / fan / infotainment stays on while the "car" is switched off (while leaving the car, when the kids are still inside)

#9 ·
Bart said:
Guess this thread will explode to a wish-list / bug-report list.

So biggest question: do they read the fora? And do they change their priorities according?

what disturbs me the most (even very dangerous):
- correction of lane-departure, especially on narrow roads, but it also reacts to shadows on the highway

what would like being added:
- camping mode i.e. airco / fan / infotainment stays on while the "car" is switched off (while leaving the car, when the kids are still inside)
I think this is the most critical issue i.e. DO THEY READ THE FORUM ? WHY THEY NEVER COMMUNICATE ?

#10 ·
OK, this might be just me but I would really like the ability to see the cameras that show the front wheels at speeds up to about 30mph.
I have to go through lots of width restriction bollards and to have to slow to zero to activate the cameras and for them to switch themselves off so quickly as speed builds (admittedly after H228 they stay on to slightly higher speeds) is a pain in the a****.
The fact that the latest generation of JLR products have cameras & screens for mirrors means screens showing moving pictures of the outside of the car can't be illegal - so why switch them off - or at least make it user configurable if they stay on or not.
Could you ask them if this would be possible?

#11 ·
Some form of communication with JLR that also gets feedback would really help.
Also announcement as to what we'll see in releases along with their ETA.
No PR speak please. The level of comments in this forum must have shown to JLR that there are owners who know about software. Get their help to resolve issues or even field test the new releases.
JLR has to change its way of dealing with customers. Social Media is not enough (i'm not and never will be on social media). They know who has their car and their email addresses. Tell us what is going on.

Chewy's list of faults should be a really good starting point.

#12 ·
SammyD said:
Some form of communication with JLR that also gets feedback would really help.
Also announcement as to what we'll see in releases along with their ETA.
No PR speak please. The level of comments in this forum must have shown to JLR that there are owners who know about software. Get their help to resolve issues or even field test the new releases.
JLR has to change its way of dealing with customers. Social Media is not enough (i'm not and never will be on social media). They know who has their car and their email addresses. Tell us what is going on.

Chewy's list of faults should be a really good starting point.
I totally agree. The lack of communication from Jaguar is mind blowing.

#13 ·
One question only. Why did the head of technical stuff at the oulton park event assure me that the space saver spare wheel would be fitted under the floor (with standard not air suspension) - but when the car arrived it was on top of the floor nicking a chunk of available space?

Rather irritating and causes everyone who sees the boot to laugh at me

First world problem but annoying

#14 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I'd like to suggest that they find a means of merging Adaptive Cruise with Adaptive Speed Limiter so the car alters speed when in cruise control in accordance with changing speed limits. Obviously with the ability to switch that off.
Seeing how often the displayed speed limit in the car differs from the actual speed limit, there is no way I'd even consider to enable that.

One thing I would like to know is if they consider adding features via software - e.g. wireless CarPlay - or if it's just tuning and bug fixing.

Things like that build loyalty and future purchases... knowing that the car will improve after you buy it.

#15 ·
norpace said:
Goshdarnit said:
Seeing how often the displayed speed limit in the car differs from the actual speed limit, there is no way I'd even consider to enable that.

One thing I would like to know is if they consider adding features via software - e.g. wireless CarPlay - or if it's just tuning and bug fixing.

Things like that build loyalty and future purchases... knowing that the car will improve after you buy it.
They just need to implement it just like the limiter function.

#17 ·
ev_stu said:
Can we unlock a car that is charging without the charge port stopping the charge? All previous BEVs I have owned did not have such a poorly implemented charge port unlocking system.
I never have that problem and can open the doors without stopping charge.

Are you pressing the unlock button on the keyfob twice quickly because you have 2 stage opening enabled? Pressing the keyfob twice while in charge is telling the car to stop/release the charging cable.

#18 ·
ev_stu said:
Can we unlock a car that is charging without the charge port stopping the charge? All previous BEVs I have owned did not have such a poorly implemented charge port unlocking system.
If you're DC charging, you can unlock the car without stopping the charge. Just a single press of the unlock button (key fob or keyless entry button) will do that.

#19 ·
Will add it to the list of things to check when I put it in for H228. I only press unlock once and it kicks me off. I can hear the charge port locking pins disengaging. If I press one of the rear doors to unlock it seems to avoid the issue. Would it have killed them to have a specific unlock button for the charger?

#20 ·
Goshdarnit said:
ev_stu said:
If you're DC charging, you can unlock the car without stopping the charge. Just a single press of the unlock button (key fob or keyless entry button) will do that.
ROFL. Well, you can but not always. Sometimes unlocking the door will stop the charge and the charger will say that the car stopped it.
I've seen this on ... wait for it.... don't get impatient.... Ah, you guessed it... Ecotricity chargers (the old type) but not on CYC who use the same charger. Strange that eh!

#21 ·
I also want the ability to lock my car, even if my frunk is open. I don't dare to use the frunk in the winter time after I got into this problem. Car wouldn't accept that my frunk was closed, and therefore I had to leave my car with the handles out, unlocked. So the car was unlocked, and showing it at long distance.

#22 ·
Two questions that effect us as owners, that an engineer might be able to answer:

• Does the JLR software engineering team have a set, regular maintenance release schedule for putting out software updates, or is it more... organic?

• Now that the model year 2019 and 2020 IPace models have shipped, is the software in "maintenance mode", meaning that only bug fixes to existing functionality will be released via SOTA updates? Or is your team planning on "feature releases" for existing models as new functionality is added for the 2021 and later model years?

Here's a few questions that I'm curious about, just because I was a developer:

• How are software bug fixes for a specific module used across the fleet reported, repaired, and distributed back into the software that is released for a specific model car?

• The in vehicle software appears to be shared across multiple JLR vehicles but with different features implemented on a per-model basis. How are the model specific builds created? Does the IPace line have a dedicated group of developers who started from a branch of the core OS, made changes, added features, and are now responsible for creating, building, testing, and releasing the software just for the IPace? Or is it more like one development team for all JLR models, with specific members assigned to work on, test, and maintain the model specific changes for the IPace as the larger project continues to be developed for the fleet?

#23 ·
ev_stu said:
Will add it to the list of things to check when I put it in for H228. I only press unlock once and it kicks me off. I can hear the charge port locking pins disengaging. If I press one of the rear doors to unlock it seems to avoid the issue. Would it have killed them to have a specific unlock button for the charger?
In my experience, pressing the unlock button once on the key will kill the charging session, so when I'm charging I only ever use the buttons on the doors to lock / unlock (neither front nor rear door buttons kill the charging).

#24 ·
Many interesting questions already posted here.
But another thing I miss, is to se the actual charging speed in kW, both in the car, and in the App/API.
Most other cars do this.
Can this also be shown in the I-Pace?

This is especially nice to have when fastcharging, and not standing by the charger able to read the display there.
However a live update of the charger speed in the app could tell us better when the charging speed is low enough to return to the car and end the charging at an appropriate time.

The current % / hour is both difficult to understand, and seems very unreliably (unaccurate and/or delayed numbers)

#25 ·
fantonsen said:
Many interesting questions already posted here.
But another thing I miss, is to se the actual charging speed in kW, both in the car, and in the App/API.
Most other cars do this.
Can this also be shown in the I-Pace?

This is especially nice to have when fastcharging, and not standing by the charger able to read the display there.
However a live update of the charger speed in the app could tell us better when the charging speed is low enough to return to the car and end the charging at an appropriate time.

The current % / hour is both difficult to understand, and seems very unreliably (unaccurate and/or delayed numbers)
I second that.

#26 ·
Thirded, with a request also to have a permanently displayed %SoC, by far the most useful parameter to assess range, much better than GoM.
As the problem with GoM is that it averages over some unspecified amount of previous driving, which is unlikely to be similar to the driving on a road trip where range is an issue, it would be great to have a "since start of this trip" GoM figure displayed, saving the mental arithmetic required to calculate remaining range from %SoC and "this trip" average kW-hr/100M.

And +1 to many of the other requests above, especially re feedback/communication/bug reporting/release notes etc and when do we get 100kW charging.

And a footnote about the whole unlock to stop charge thing: on my first experience of the car on an extended demo, I couldn't work out how to disconnect the cable; and it's not in the user manual!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.