Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Harry's Garage I-Pace review

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  oop north 
#1 ·
I always love his reviews

#3 ·
IRace said:
No ipace owner ever said after two failed DC fast charge attempts: Let's go to Ecotricity :p
😂😂
Not a bad review, and I do watch most of his YouTube's. he is right on the charging network, most of use here have looked into the charging networks and worked it out. Harry here is very motor savvy but not so experienced in using the charging network and just shows how much of a challenge it is going to be in converting people. And again showing how Tesla have got it right.

#4 ·
I think his review is fairly balanced but I wish he had ended with:

"The current state of the public charging is not where it needs to be and Tesla are closest to getting it right. However, for those that are able to install at home/work charging and don't need to travel more than 200/220 miles a day, public charging may only be a problem once, twice a year when you come to travel longer distances and, given all the other benefits of an EV, those instances can easily be forgiven/tolerated."

#5 ·
fa147 said:
I think his review is fairly balanced but I wish he had ended with:

"The current state of the public charging is not where it needs to be and Tesla are closest to getting it right. However, for those that are able to install at home/work charging and don't need to travel more than 200/220 miles a day, public charging may only be a problem once, twice a year when you come to travel longer distances and, given all the other benefits of an EV, those instances can easily be forgiven/tolerated."
What you say is very true but...
The old argument that says.... But I just go everywhere when I want to with ICE. I don't have to think/plan ahead for charging when it is beyond one battery range.
I had this thrown at me yesterday while on a course at West Dean College. I counter by saying...
"How often do you actually do that?"
"I don't know but I can if I want to"

It is that mindset we have to overcome

The article in Saturday's Times wasn't much better. They went on about the extra weight of EV's causing more brake and tyre dust. That totally ignores the effects on regen braking which is especially effective when using High Regen. One pedal driving is a joy.

#7 ·
I am also a subscriber to his channel, but I think he did show a lack of knowledge regarding electric vehicles and the I-Pace, which is not surprising if he is new to it. He said it was not his vehicle, so it is likely that the GOM had been reset and was not attuned to his driving. He seemed unaware that the vehicle modifies the GOM as it learns driving style, and more significantly, regular routes. He seemed surprised that travelling faster on motorways is more fuel hungry than travelling slower on non-motorway routes. It is nothing to do with the lack of regeneration on motorways, simply the increased consumption due to air resistance at faster speeds; ICE cars also suffer reduced fuel consumption as average speed increases. Perhaps as he gets used to it, if he is keeping it, and gets used to forward planning and avoiding Ecotricity (reliability) and Ionity (price) he will be able to use it more and be happier with it.

#8 ·
elbocko said:
... He seemed surprised that travelling faster on motorways is more fuel hungry than travelling slower on non-motorway routes. It is nothing to do with the lack of regeneration on motorways, simply the increased consumption due to air resistance at faster speeds; ICE cars also suffer reduced fuel consumption as average speed increases.
I don't think he was surprised, as he could explain why it was happening. And ICE cars compensate to some extent for the increased drag by using higher gearing for motorway cruising.

#9 ·
It's not that an ICE car compensates for highway speed through its gearing. It's just overall so inefficient at low speeds that the consumption difference is smaller. As EVs are so efficient at low speeds, you really notice the increased drag on the highway in your consumption.

#10 ·
But the issue with EVs is not their efficiency or otherwise at motorway speeds, it's the time taken to re-charge once their are depleted. If the charging time was the same as a petrol/diesel car then it wouldn't matter how efficient or inefficient they were.

As such range becomes an issue because the shorter the range the quicker you have to stop and be stopped for longer. This is why efficiency is such a topic of conversation with current ICE owners looking at EVs. If you ever ask an ICE owner how efficient their current car is, they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "I don't know/I don't car", which really suggest the main factor against EV adoption is not cost but time.

Nonetheless, what he missed in his piece was that most of the time (95-98%) EV users save time because they charge at home when the car is doing nothing else. Which means they don't have to drive to "fill-up" stations most of the time. Of course then that means that your commute has to be less than 200+ miles, but apart from sales/marketing people, mkst people's commute is much less than 200+ miles.

Therefore, the inconvenience of the long journeys taken 2-3 times a year are more than surpassed with the convenience and benefits gained from the rest of the 95-98% of the time, and that is what was missed from his conclusions.

#11 ·
fa147 said:
Therefore, the inconvenience of the long journeys taken 2-3 times a year are more than surpassed with the convenience and benefits gained from the rest of the 95-98% of the time, and that is what was missed from his conclusions.
This.

This is what most EV skeptics never seem to understand. I actually spend less time thinking about "refueling" now than I did back when I had an ICE car. It obviously depends on your driving habits but for the majority of people out there, given that you can charge at home, range just isn't really an issue 99% of the time.

There will always be a vocal minority who have corner cases where EVs just won't work, but for most people an EV is just a better alternative.

That said, charging infrastructure must improve significantly in order to sway the minds of skeptics.

#12 ·
fa147 said:
Nonetheless, what he missed in his piece was that most of the time (95-98%) EV users save time because they charge at home when the car is doing nothing else. Which means they don't have to drive to "fill-up" stations most of the time. Of course then that means that your commute has to be less than 200+ miles, but apart from sales/marketing people, mkst people's commute is much less than 200+ miles.
I don't think he missed it - he stated it near the end when he said it was good always waking up to a car with a "full tank". And he also made the point that it was a great alternative for the typical "low mileage from home" use, but if he wanted to munch motorway miles he'd use his filthy diesel.

#13 ·
Indeed charging infrastructure needs to, but I suspect somewhat of a cycle here. Charging doesn't improve because people aren't told about the cities of EVs because the people reviewing don't have all the fact. In turn lower number of EVs mean charging companies can not see a significant case to spend money on their charging infrastructure, "and on, and on, and ariston" for those that remember that advert her in the uk. :)

#16 ·
It's a shame that Harry's vid to some extent just reflects the "this is the first time I have driven an EV" routine. There's such a steep learning curve with an EV - going through it with an i3 made it relatively easy with the iPace. Although I am still finding long journeys a bit stressful - neither polar rapid in chesterfield was working last Friday (and from Zap-Map it looks like neither have works for a couple of months. Only been in a year) and Edinburgh is a bit of a Stretch in a day. Ho hum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.