Votes: 11 15.7%
  • <t>My range is worse</t>

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • <t>I don't know</t>

Votes: 13 18.6%

H264 - Range Improved?

16K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
H264 was supposed to improve range in cold conditions by better management of the battery temperature and also by releasing a bit more of the available battery capacity.

There has been confusion over whether owners are seeing an improvement or not.

For my part, I started out this morning with the battery on 97% and the GOM suggesting a range of 250 miles. I have driven 110 miles and the GOM says I have 137 miles of range left, so pretty accurate. This was with no preconditioning and ambient around 6degC.

I would suggest that my I-Pace has seen a small improvement in range, but perhaps not the 8% suggested.

#2 ·
As the bad weather has set in my GOM had settled down to 201 miles from the autumn when I got the car where it was 235 ish at 100% charge.
Since H264 my range at 100% has gone up to 250 miles. I'm aware the GOM will have been reset during the update but I've had three big charges from 20% to 100% in the two weeks since the update and the GOM has not changed it's guess after any of those three and it appears pretty accurate to my mileage in that time. Early days I guess.

#3 ·
I'm in my first charge post H264 and have driven 147 miles over four days in trips of between 12 and 35 miles, all driven at speed limits (about 20 miles has been driven at 70mph, the rest mostly 50mph with some 30/40mph). The GoM currently indicates 93 miles remaining suggesting a range to empty of 240 miles. Only one precondition session was used prior to the first departure. Temperatures have ranged between 2degC and 8degC, mostly 4-5degC. Before H264 I would have struggled to get much over 200 miles in similar conditions. Reduction in the GoM indication has tracked the miles driven pretty accurately.

#4 ·
Post H264 (mid December) my efficiency has improved - despite around 5 degree weather with light rain I am getting more regular efficiency results I previously only got last summer. See 4 city trips (including my lunch trip today) and 2 longer distance trips all made in the last month.
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Number

I see the most improvement at lower speeds - as speed goes up the effect of H264 reduces.
Further proof for me is my efficiency trend graph which shows so far in February I have driven more efficiency and at higher average speed compared to Nov-19 despite weather getting a bit colder.
Dec & Jan show higher consumption due to my cross Europe X-mas trip, if I filter those out Dec was 239wh/km at 69.9km/h and Jan was 220wh/km at 71.5km/h.
View attachment 480

Attachments

G
#7 ·
Pre-H264 I ran a series of range tests on a 37 mile (60 km) county trip at 50MPH (80 km) average speed in 30°F (-1°C) using cruise control. Using climate control and using WattCat for consumption figures, the I-Pace attained a range of 187 miles (301 km). Post-H264 I ran the same test and attained 184 miles (296 km) so basically the same as before.

The GoM is not accurate at all especially between 60% - 100% SoC. It starts at 255 miles (410 km) and drops quickly at a rate or 2:1.

#8 ·
GoneNuts said:
Pre-H264 I ran a series of range tests on a 37 mile (60 km) county trip at 50MPH (80 km) average speed in 30°F (-1°C) using cruise control. Using climate control and using WattCat for consumption figures, the I-Pace attained a range of 187 miles (301 km). Post-H264 I ran the same test and attained 184 miles (296 km) so basically the same as before.

The GoM is not accurate at all especially between 60% - 100% SoC. It starts at 255 miles (410 km) and drops quickly at a rate or 2:1.
You have a significantly different result to some others posting here indicating that there is something odd about your test or the state of your battery. So far I've seen a very noticeable improvement, but I don't use rapid chargers.

#9 ·
I don't know.

At some point after buying the car, my GOM got stuck reporting 201 miles at 99% charge. After the h264b update this month, I have the 'new style' instrument graphics, and my reported full charge range has returned to what it was on the day I took delivery of the car, about 253 miles.

As for actual range... In the one year and 8800 miles I've owned the IPace, I've plugged into a public station exactly one time, not because I needed it, but because I wanted to try it out. In this same year, I've seen the car drop into "you should find a charger soon" mode exactly one time. What is the default for that, 40 miles? I couldn't tell you.

The range improvement from h264 is a complete non-issue for me, because the IPace has always had sufficient range.

#10 ·
I drove a return trip couple of days ago striating with 100% charge. Reached the destination with 50% SOC, charge up to 60% before drive to home. Arrived 10% left so total 100% for that 345km which actually longest I've ever reach for one charge. Condition +2C and half of the trip there was light rain. Me best before this was 320 in summer (rainy day too).

G
#11 ·
Captain.Plummet said:
You have a significantly different result to some others posting here indicating that there is something odd about your test or the state of your battery. So far I've seen a very noticeable improvement, but I don't use rapid chargers.
Thanks for the post. ;) Zero change in range is okay with me as some owners have reported a decrease. WattCat shows 82-83 kWh at 100% SoC so everything looks okay and I have fast charged just once in June. I'm hoping the GoM will slowly settle to semi-accurate. I too had the 201 mile bug that was well below my real range and eventually it came up. Not worried at all and still loving my car!

#12 ·
GoneNuts said:
Captain.Plummet said:
Thanks for the post. ;) Zero change in range is okay with me as some owners have reported a decrease. /quote]

Not on this forum according to the poll above.

#14 ·
According to my experience the correct answer (for me) is that I really don't know. In other words if there has been an improvement it's not noticeable at least for my driving conditions.
Winter in Italy has been so far more than mild and this could be a factor. I rarely experience cold weather so far so I may have not noticed H264 improvement for this reason.
Another point is that I either drive in the absurd traffic of Rome or I'm travelling on highways mostly at 130 km/h (even something more). So perhaps energy economy is killed by traffic in one case and by speed in the other and this could be the reason too i don't see significant improvements.
What I'm sure is the the Gom is really useless. I get 355 - 360 km after full charge but real range is significantly less and what bothers me is that it takes forever to adjust its guessing to a different driving condition. My X3 took 30 to 50 km in highway to adjust the expected range, but after that it was pretty accurate. Why the I Pace Gom can't be the same is a mystery to me.

#15 ·
I'm with GoneNuts (and not just in username) and Kermit on this one: Post-264, the GOM seems overly-optimistic with significant in-use downward adjustments. Then, at the end of the day, range seems on average pretty much the same as before. EPA rating has remained the same, seemingly for a reason; and implementation of H264 appears to be mostly good marketing -- very pleasant but inaccurate showings in GOM.

#16 ·
I've now emptied a battery (to10%) and have covered 232 miles in temperatures of 4-8degC. This gives me a theoretical range of 257 miles while the GoM said 262 miles at 100%. That, in my view, is as close to accurate as I could expect. It's also a good fifteen miles more range than I was getting in December in temperatures of 12-14degC. Some people seem to be having a very different experience however terrain, wind speed/direction, driving style and battery condition are bound to be the most significant factors. Just one or two of those could knock as much as 30% off the overall range.

#18 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Wind is a hugely underestimated factor by many people. It will affect range much more than wheel size, temperature or wet roads.
Absolutely. 50mph SoG into a 50mph wind is the same as driving at 100mph in terms of consumption. You could do that today in the UK as we have storm Dennis blowing.
Unfortunately driving with the wind is not inversely beneficial as drag has an exponential effect.

#19 ·
So I'm not sure if my car has H264 or not because I collected it on Dec 20th.. i 'think' it does- theres nothing showing on topix, and it has the new type display. I've driven it over 3000 miles now & the GOM has settled down to 230 miles, which I think is pretty accurate, and a figure I'm reasonably happy with in the english winter weather! Just this week I did a round trip of just over 200 miles without a charge, and arrived home with 10% remaining - despite most of that trip done in the dark, wind & the rain with headlights & wipers on.
Personally, I find the GOM pretty accuate- after all, the car doesn't know how you're going to drive it, what the outside temp might be, or if it will be driven at night, so all in all I'm pretty happy with the range estimates.
My last 2 trips:
100m @ 34.5kwh/100miles
103m @ 36.8kwh/100miles
The first one was in around 8deg, and the 2and one a bit colder, around 3deg avg.

#20 ·
I got my H.264 update on 19th of December and I see a clear improvement in range. Since then I have driven more than 5000 km and my average consumption was 24.6 kWh / 100 km. In the same period last year I drove almost 4000 km and the average than was 26.6 kWh. That means an improvement of 10%. The average speed was nearly identical (92 vs 93 km/h) but the average temperature was higher (last year is was 5 Celsius and now it was 7). What else is different is that now I drive mostly in Eco mode. All in all I am very happy with the update.

#21 ·
This time last year I was doing well to achieve a range of 180 miles and I was very disappointed. This winter I'm getting a range in the region of 230 miles. In the summer I was getting about 235 miles.
Two things have changed; I fitted 18in wheels and had H264 installed. I think that the wheels have contributed about 10 miles range and the remaining 45 miles is down to H264.
However, I agree with GoneNuts that the GOM is a little more optimistic than it was.
Before H264 I had no chance of completing a return journey of 200 miles without stopping to charge, now I would be very confident of not needing to charge.

#22 ·
Thincat said:
This time last year I was doing well to achieve a range of 180 miles and I was very disappointed. This winter I'm getting a range in the region of 230 miles. In the summer I was getting about 235 miles.
Two things have changed; I fitted 18in wheels and had H264 installed. I think that the wheels have contributed about 10 miles range and the remaining 45 miles is down to H264.
However, I agree with GoneNuts that the GOM is a little more optimistic than it was.
Before H264 I had no chance of completing a return journey of 200 miles without stopping to charge, now I would be very confident of not needing to charge.
Great you are getting range although I do think the 18" wheels have a greater effect than H265

#23 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Thincat said:
Great you are getting range although I do think the 18" wheels have a greater effect than H265
Well, I fitted the 18in wheels in the Summer and have now done nearly 10,000 miles on them. I was pleased with the modest range increase but the GOM was still stuck on 201 miles at 100% charge up until January when I was one of the first to get H264 installed. Since then at 100% the GOM has never been below 250 miles.

As far as I am concerned the 18in wheels are so much better than 20in because they give a better ride, make the steering lighter, make it much less likely to curb the wheel rims and tyres cost a lot (about £100) less. The range gain of about 10 miles by itself would probably not be worth the effort and expense but combining all 5 benefits makes them well worthwhile.

#24 ·
Some of the range improvement is reckoned to come from more use of the battery empty buffer and some from the front to rear axles torque split in ECO. Most of the above posts do say whether you are range testing in ECO?

#26 ·
Great thread on 264 guys - but there is a missing ingredient!

When you post your results in miles on a charge, its equally important to know how many Kw it took to replenish that driving session.

If anyone has the capability It would be very interesting to see just how much of the 84 kw were using to get 200+ miles.

Thanks In advance - Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.