Driver assistance feature/camera

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
electric beagle

Re: Driver assistance feature/camera

Post by electric beagle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:15 pm

ACB5 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 pm
If it helps I have an email from jaguar customer services saying that MY21 will have steering assist. I asked twice to make sure the answer was correct and they repeated it was.
Would be good if you could share this on me maybe.

I read the features in the brochure when I switched my order from MY20 to MY21 there was no warning that the brochures were incorrect or that the feature set of the MY21 had regressed like this it fundamentally is not on.

ACC without steering assist is just a half arsed feature it's not acceptable and I shall not be standing for it. I shall wait to see what is being proposed but I do t expect much unless we all start rejecting our cars.

I just am not prepared to put up with crap like this on principle however much I like the rest of the car.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:23 am

I would not be surprised if Steering Assist has caused accidents and has been deleted for that reason, particularly Emergency Lane Keeping, it is supposed to deactivate under 40mph, mine does not, on narrow lanes it is dangerous, trying to steer you back into the center of the road.

Lane Keeping does work on my car but I don’t like it and prefer to steer, it just feels unnatural, Adaptive Cruise, again I don’t use preferring standard CC which I use a lot. Personal preferences aside there are so many warnings about the limitations of the system, which mean that you cannot trust it to work when you need it. Park assist is comical, the limited steering lock on the IPace make it useless, however the 360 camera and sensors do work and help to manual park.

For me it would be no loss but Jaguar have been very misleading in their publications so some recompense is due. Complaining is not easy for many, in most cases it is the finance company that own the car and they are very reluctant to make an issue of faults, unless it is major and the car is unusable
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:23 am
I would not be surprised if Steering Assist has caused accidents and has been deleted for that reason, particularly Emergency Lane Keeping, it is supposed to deactivate under 40mph, mine does not, on narrow lanes it is dangerous, trying to steer you back into the center of the road.

Lane Keeping does work on my car but I don’t like it and prefer to steer, it just feels unnatural, Adaptive Cruise, again I don’t use preferring standard CC which I use a lot. Personal preferences aside there are so many warnings about the limitations of the system, which mean that you cannot trust it to work when you need it. Park assist is comical, the limited steering lock on the IPace make it useless, however the 360 camera and sensors do work and help to manual park.

For me it would be no loss but Jaguar have been very misleading in their publications so some recompense is due. Complaining is not easy for many, in most cases it is the finance company that own the car and they are very reluctant to make an issue of faults, unless it is major and the car is unusable
I don't see why Jaguar would uniquely have a problem with steering assist given that pretty much every other major manufacturer offers it. In the other car it works extremely well and makes longer journeys less tiring. Same with ACC and queue assist.

For the earlier models which have it I would assume it behaves in the same so that if no steering wheel input is detected it sounds an alarm, shakes the wheel and ultimately disengages?

As for ACC which does work pretty well for me, I just don't see how standard cruise control makes any sense. Having had it on my last 6 cars and virtually never used it because it makes o sense on UK roads. ACC is very useful and without it cruise control makes no sense.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm

If you like ACC heed the warnings, if the slow car you have been following pulls out or turns off the IPace will accelerate briskly, it’s very easy to get caught out. Braking would cancel CC high regen doesn’t so ACC is still active.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

scm

Post by scm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:24 pm

I don't think "progress" should mean a fight between the car and the driver as to what is the right thing to do.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm
If you like ACC heed the warnings, if the slow car you have been following pulls out or turns off the IPace will accelerate briskly, it’s very easy to get caught out. Braking would cancel CC high regen doesn’t so ACC is still active.
All cars with ACC do this in my experience it's worse with queue assist when you are in traffic you just have to know the limitations of the car and stay alert as you are still responsible for driving it.

I think the times it is useful far outweigh the edge cases where it behaves oddly but predictably you can see cars ahead of you moving you know how the car will respond to that.

Ultimately you are not forced to use it so luddites can turn it off ;)

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:42 pm

LOL, I don’t think too many luddites buy an IPace, when you have driven more you will understand why there are so many warnings in the IGUIDE

jpbates

Post by jpbates » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm
If you like ACC heed the warnings, if the slow car you have been following pulls out or turns off the IPace will accelerate briskly, it’s very easy to get caught out.
It is brisk if in dynamic mode, quite gentle in Eco mode I find. On motorway I tend to use Eco and find ACC fine (not so in Dynamic)
MY20 16th July HSE Firenze Red, Pano Roof, HUD, Black pack, 5055 18", Air&Adaptive, Front Fogs, Ebony Sports Seats.
S20C_20.43.1-618886; 19.2; BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE; 08.030.0115.0153
Zappi 2.0 Untethered. share.octopus.energy/lemon-wasp-593

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:42 pm
LOL, I don’t think too many luddites buy an IPace, when you have driven more you will understand why there are so many warnings in the IGUIDE
Do you really think it behaves worse than other cars with the same functionality? I would admit that the LKA is suboptimal on normal country roads but LKA with no Steering Assist is a weird approach anyway (and part of my issue with the missing feature).

I have done about 300 miles thus far with ACC engaged and it didn't behave any worse than any other ACC enabled car I have driven when cars ahead move out of the way. ACC is designed to maintain a speed, limited by distance from the object in front it always accelerates when the object in front moves or its not working properly, so I don't see the specific iPace problem. Why is it worse than other ACC implementations?

greencard20

Post by greencard20 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Some updates from my side: I'm yet to try the driver assistance on the motorway but have had few attempts to understand what's included and what's not based on my A/B road trips.

It feels like steering assist is available ie when it goes over the lane marking, get the red display in the cluster and feels like the vehicle is bringing me back within the lane. However, I'm still struggling to work out if this is how Jag's steering assist works (Note: I'm very well used to Merc's driver assistance features and well aware of how it works and what they call etc). But I don't get any 'GREEN' steering wheel icon in the cluster, so that means I do not have that. Is my assumption correct? May be that's lane keeping assist I'm talking about!

Secondly, I was expecting route based speed adjustment (loved that in my prev car) ie ACC on and basically car does adapts to the speed limit from 70 to 50 to 30 or whatever. This is definitely not available as far as I know.

Still trying to figure out how adaptive speed limiter works and the benefits....will keep trying!

I will have to do some motorway trips this week and try out everything and see how it performs so let's see.

Last but not the least, otherwise so far so good and I'm loving the car (does anyone know how to cancel schedule charging from the app? I tested and it worked but don't know how to cancel ....oops)
21MY I-Pace / HSE / Santorini Black with full black pack / Pano roof / PIVI Pro................... 8-)