I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Tophe74

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Tophe74 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:51 pm

well when u have a 5m long garage then 30cm is a big deal :)
Everybody has differents needs or specs to folow.
I think model S and i pace are different enough to respond to differents needs.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am

Tophe74 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:51 pm
well when u have a 5m long garage then 30cm is a big deal :)
Everybody has differents needs or specs to folow.
I think model S and i pace are different enough to respond to differents needs.
I also ruled out a Model X as it was too big to fit in my 5m garage. Surprisingly my current car, a Range Rover Sport, fits in no problem.
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19A_19.20.4-363281 || Telematics: Version 14.2

johnd

Post by johnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am

@Gdank: Thanks for your suggestions - always interesting to talk new car options with others. But, probably like most people, I've got my own idiosyncratic priorities for my next drive, which is why my shortlist is as it is. (I hesitate to add to the OT-ness of this new thread, but just to answer briefly...)

I'm someone who really prefers smaller cars - there's pleasure in their compactness & efficiency, they're often more practical for small parking spaces, narrow roads, smaller turning circle etc and a well-designed smaller car is always going to be more chuckable and hence more enjoyable to drive energetically in my book than a larger one. Should say that I don't have a large family or dogs or run an antiques business and so something smaller suits me fine.

How do you define smaller? Well there's obviously multiple parameters like length, height, width, weight etc, but in general within a class (eg SUV) size tends to scale roughly with length so it makes sense to use length as the most useful single metric.

My car before last was a CR170 (diesel) Yeti and this has come closer than anything else I've owned to my ideal car - large enough to take four in reasonable comfort, go-anywhere (within reason) 4WD practicality, decent performance & handling and the only obvious downside is the limited bootspace, though I never found this a problem - you learn to pack vertically or if not travelling four-up then fold a seat or in extremis literally take out one or both rear seats. And this is all in 4.2m car. Anything smaller starts to become too compromised and actually the main offerings in this class like Tiguan, Q3 etc have moved up to around 4.4m in length.

Previous car was a Q3 (4.4m again IIRC), which was well-made and fine but with very staid styling and anodyne character. My present Macan (4.7m) is what's made me realise that this is really bigger than I'd ideally prefer and no I haven't really got used to it over time - if anything it's reinforced my view that small is beautiful. And yes I know of course that the I-Pace is much the same size. But the attractions of the I-Pace like excellent performance and buying into an EV felt like being worth the compromise on size. But this would be the pretty much the maximum in size that I'd entertain. As it happens I do also have a 4.7m long parking space at the holiday house, so that's one minor practical limitation.

So I'm in the market for a smaller, premium, non-diesel 4WD SUV with excellent performance, that does a minimum of a genuine 25mpg (not for cost reasons, but to take some account of CO2 concerns). As per my email above, this doesn't leave too many options beyond I-Pace. JLR don't make anything else that appeals - no offence to anyone but F-Pace is just too big and gross, E-Pace just looks clumsy. Tiguan and the pending new Q3 (which does look like a major step forwards in styling both in and out) are both 4.5m cars and Ateca is slightly shorter IIRC. Just not much else out there in the marketplace that appeals. I'm rather allergic to BMW and Merc's interior styling really grates. Hence my shortlist!
Last edited by johnd on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

DrPhil

Post by DrPhil » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 am

You could consider buying a Volvo XC40 :-). It should come as a BEV within one year.
i-Pace SE, 20" , Air Suspension, Pan. Roof, light Oyster, Sillicon Silver, ordered March 19, delivered on 11October ‘18

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 am

:D :-) so funny - this topic was started because we were discussing range in "press review" topic and now in the "range" topic all that is discussed is which cars to buy and why with key element being length of the car :? : :o
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

johnd

Post by johnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 am

DrPhil wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 am
You could consider buying a Volvo XC40 :-). It should come as a BEV within one year.
Yes, thanks, I was about to edit my post to add XC40 as a possible and which I'd forgotten about. But XC40 seems designed for comfort rather than performance. It's an interesting option, but not sure I could live with the quirky dash design. I know, I know, that's probably not a good rational reason for passing it up but there's inevitably some emotional response to a design.

dh1968

Post by dh1968 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 am

:D :-) so funny - this topic was started because we were discussing range in "press review" topic and now in the "range" topic all that is discussed is which cars to buy and why with key element being length of the car :? : :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You are so right Jelle !! It's an annoying habit by people to hijack topics.

PS: I am perfectly ok with the range of the i-Pace, even if it turns out to be around 300-350km with a normal/sporty driving style in real life. For my daily work commute (75km a day) it is more than enough and I will charge/top-up overnight at home. Still deliberating the charger to install at home, but I will discuss that in the "home charging" topic ;) . If necessary, I have a brand new Fastned 175kW station on my daily route, so I don't foresee any issues.
i-Pace First Edition full black, 22inch

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 pm

johnd wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Tophe74 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 pm
I don t understand why ppl make so much analyses with EV range.
Its like ice cars, some use 5l for 100km and some 10. Depends of weight, aerodynamic, power and further more on driving style. Nothing new here.
Well, I can tell you why I'm rather fixated on range, but others may well have a different point of view:

There's a journey that I personally need to do reasonably regularly for which I need a reliable range of 220-230 miles all-year round and with no convenient prospect of charging en route. I want to be able to drive reasonably how I please, which is neither going crazy nor Cat-footing around (and sometimes I'll be in a hurry, other times I can afford to take it more leisurely). If I can't do this journey reliably then a lot of the pleasure of owning the I-Pace will be lost and I might as well choose a different car (almost inevitably a petrol model).

Right now, it looks like it's very marginal as to whether I can achieve this, eg the I-Pace app is telling me 200 miles range.
John

If I was in your shoes, I would be contacting a local JLR dealer, or any JLR dealer for that matter that would work with you, telling them your predicament and asking if I could borrow an I Pace for a day, I would then drive that journey and see for myself how it performed, if it does happen to fall short, then press the Recovery button and get someone out to give you a charge, at least that way you will be able to prove to yourself if it is a suitable car for you, not having to rely on third party comments and possibly wasting your money.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 to S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

johnd

Post by johnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:18 pm

ChrisMc wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 pm
If I was in your shoes, I would be contacting a local JLR dealer, or any JLR dealer for that matter that would work with you, telling them your predicament and asking if I could borrow an I Pace for a day, I would then drive that journey and see for myself how it performed, if it does happen to fall short, then press the Recovery button and get someone out to give you a charge,
That is indeed the plan. Problem right now is that I'm not even sure that test drives have started at my local dealer (maybe they have, just - I need to find out this week) but what I've been told is that initially test drives will all be accompanied 20-30 minutes round the block affairs and their single demo car will be fully committed to this, at least until the backlog of promised test-drives is cleared.

So, I may well have to wait a month or two before a longer loan car becomes possible.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:01 pm

johnd wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:18 pm
ChrisMc wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 pm
If I was in your shoes, I would be contacting a local JLR dealer, or any JLR dealer for that matter that would work with you, telling them your predicament and asking if I could borrow an I Pace for a day, I would then drive that journey and see for myself how it performed, if it does happen to fall short, then press the Recovery button and get someone out to give you a charge,
That is indeed the plan. Problem right now is that I'm not even sure that test drives have started at my local dealer (maybe they have, just - I need to find out this week) but what I've been told is that initially test drives will all be accompanied 20-30 minutes round the block affairs and their single demo car will be fully committed to this, at least until the backlog of promised test-drives is cleared.

So, I may well have to wait a month or two before a longer loan car becomes possible.
Yes, I agree short test drives might only be available just now at many dealers, but I would be asking anyway. I have one booked for early October (originally mid September but I had to change dates) and was told as long as I gave them about 3 weeks notice then I should be able to take as long as I wanted.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 to S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”