I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
EDi99

Re: I-Pace range

Post by EDi99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 am

It would be nice to have a view as this one from the I-Pace for comparison. It shows that energy usages depends on various criteria. Same, driver, same car, same average speed, same distance but different usage.

Sheet 1.jpg

EDi99

Post by EDi99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am

In addition - this shows more detail. Only trips above 20km distance.

Sheet 1 above 20 km.jpg

mjc

Post by mjc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 am

JonB wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 am
Picked up my car yesterday. Screenshots of software versions below. Not sure why no information is shown on battery software version but at least the telematics and infotainment versions are clear.
I don't think I am experiencing camera lag either,though I am admittedly being extremely cautious, and I was also told that 100kwh charging is available though the dealer didn't seem 100% sure.
I am not sure why the dealer would not have installed the 18D_18.47.5-269316 software (which will call itself In Control Touch Pro Software, instead of Infotainment Software). You may want to ask your dealer about that.
I-Pace HSE delivered 14/12/2018 - Farallon Black, Air++, oyster interior, panoramic roof, 20" std wheels

sjur

Post by sjur » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm

FENorway wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm
Chimpils wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm
Wow that's nice. Suppose you'll get 450++ in the summer then. Do you have a S? Air? Panoramic? 18"?
19" Nokian wintertyres.
First Edition.
Weight difference between base S and First Edition is not more than the weight of 1 person.
I would think 95% of range potential comes from smaller wheels. 22" is a range-killer.
Got an eMail from JLR today. They say that the I-Pace S with 18'' wheels can expect about 13% longer range than HSE with 22''
I'm OK looking un-cool with my 18'' wheels :-)

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 pm

sjur wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm
FENorway wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm
Chimpils wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm
Wow that's nice. Suppose you'll get 450++ in the summer then. Do you have a S? Air? Panoramic? 18"?
19" Nokian wintertyres.
First Edition.
Weight difference between base S and First Edition is not more than the weight of 1 person.
I would think 95% of range potential comes from smaller wheels. 22" is a range-killer.
Got an eMail from JLR today. They say that the I-Pace S with 18'' wheels can expect about 13% longer range than HSE with 22''
I'm OK looking un-cool with my 18'' wheels :-)
Yep, and putting an extra 2psi of pressure in the tyres also improves range slightly, with little or no detriment to ride quality or tyre life.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

I think there’s a big difference between the required behaviour on a longer-than-usual trip and a very-long-trip. The difference is because on a road trip, you are reluctant to let the SoC get below maybe 20% in case the charger you are relying on isn’t available and you have to divert. Also, on a road trip, you probably only want to recharge up to 80% because the last 20% is very slow. So, the distance between recharging stops on a very long trip is perhaps 60% of the actual achievable range.

But if you start from home with a full charge and pre-conditioned, and your destination at the end of the day is either home again or a destination with 100% certainty of an overnight charge, then you can use 95%+ of the battery capacity with reasonable confidence.

Let’s say you are confident that you can get 200M out of the car, from 100% to 0% SoC, starting fully pre-conditioned. The required driving style and charging strategy is then as follows:

Trip distance <100M: Charge to 80% (! q.v.), pre-condition, drive to have fun.
Trip distance <150M: Charge to 100%, pre-condition, drive to have fun.
Trip distance <190M: Charge to 100%, pre-condition, drive a bit more gently, monitor, but expect to get to destination without a charge en route, albeit perhaps down to <5% on arrival.
Trip distance 190-310M: Plan for a single en-route charge, ideally from c20% SoC (to give the safety margin required in case the planned charger is unavailable) but only up to the SoC required to get to the final destination with a minimal SoC (5%?). A single 20%-80% charge should add 120M (80%-20%=60%x200M), hence 190+120=310M with 5% on arrival at the “safe” destination. But if you only need an extra 50M, you only put in the required amount to just get you to your safe destination.

On an infinitely long trip, you indeed have to stop every 120M for a 20%-80% charge. On a nominally 50kW charger, which in practice probably adds more like 42kW-hr = 50% SoC = 100M range per hour, this is indeed tedious, and to my mind, unacceptable. I’d use an ICE rather than do this. 100kW charging (if in fact it is ever possible) improves things in terms of the duration of each stop, but you still need to stop just as often.

The point I am, rather laboriously, trying to make is to point out the big difference between a no-charge or one-charge trip and a multi-charge trip, because of the extra 35-40% of battery available to you with the first two, because you have set off at 100% and can safely arrive with 5%. An hour or so charging on a 300M trip is ok. 4hr on a 600-mile trip is not (for me, at least).

I make no claim that these numbers are correct (another 7 weeks until I get my car!), but I think the principle is valid.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm
I think there’s a big difference between the required behaviour on a longer-than-usual trip and a very-long-trip. The difference is because on a road trip, you are reluctant to let the SoC get below maybe 20% in case the charger you are relying on isn’t available and you have to divert. Also, on a road trip, you probably only want to recharge up to 80% because the last 20% is very slow. So, the distance between recharging stops on a very long trip is perhaps 60% of the actual achievable range.

But if you start from home with a full charge and pre-conditioned, and your destination at the end of the day is either home again or a destination with 100% certainty of an overnight charge, then you can use 95%+ of the battery capacity with reasonable confidence.

Let’s say you are confident that you can get 200M out of the car, from 100% to 0% SoC, starting fully pre-conditioned. The required driving style and charging strategy is then as follows:

Trip distance <100M: Charge to 80% (! q.v.), pre-condition, drive to have fun.
Trip distance <150M: Charge to 100%, pre-condition, drive to have fun.
Trip distance <190M: Charge to 100%, pre-condition, drive a bit more gently, monitor, but expect to get to destination without a charge en route, albeit perhaps down to <5% on arrival.
Trip distance 190-310M: Plan for a single en-route charge, ideally from c20% SoC (to give the safety margin required in case the planned charger is unavailable) but only up to the SoC required to get to the final destination with a minimal SoC (5%?). A single 20%-80% charge should add 120M (80%-20%=60%x200M), hence 190+120=310M with 5% on arrival at the “safe” destination. But if you only need an extra 50M, you only put in the required amount to just get you to your safe destination.

On an infinitely long trip, you indeed have to stop every 120M for a 20%-80% charge. On a nominally 50kW charger, which in practice probably adds more like 42kW-hr = 50% SoC = 100M range per hour, this is indeed tedious, and to my mind, unacceptable. I’d use an ICE rather than do this. 100kW charging (if in fact it is ever possible) improves things in terms of the duration of each stop, but you still need to stop just as often.

The point I am, rather laboriously, trying to make is to point out the big difference between a no-charge or one-charge trip and a multi-charge trip, because of the extra 35-40% of battery available to you with the first two, because you have set off at 100% and can safely arrive with 5%. An hour or so charging on a 300M trip is ok. 4hr on a 600-mile trip is not (for me, at least).

I make no claim that these numbers are correct (another 7 weeks until I get my car!), but I think the principle is valid.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to write down such a detailed piece of information.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter.

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 am

That's exactly how I'm thinking about the i-Pace range vis-a-vis getting to the mountains from the Bay Area. For those of you who don't live here, the closest Sierra access is about 150 miles East of here in the Northern vicinity of Yosemite National Park. I probably have a 7kW overnight charger where I'm headed. So instead of a 300 mile trip it's two 150 mile trips; the wrinkle being that it's an elevation gain of 6000ft (or 1800 meters, ahem, metres) to get there. I'll be curious to experience the penalty on elevation gain. [I'm sure the Tesla fanboys have that all figured out but I'm too lazy to scrutinize their forums for that]

Aaaanyway, change of topic:
If we're frustrated with the suboptimal range of the iPace with a 90kWh battery pack, what are the Daimler fanboys going to think about the range of the EQC 80kWh pack, on a car with basically the same specs as the iPace???
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g2585 ... -2020-ces/

Discuss

EDi99

Post by EDi99 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am

For a long one-day trip of appr. 1.000 km a schedule of driving between 2 and 2,5 hours followed by between 20 and 30 minutes charging is very relaxing. Ample time for a coffee or toilet visit. What we've learned over time is that it is better to stop more frequently and charge shorter compared to charge above 80% and drive longer between stops.

To be able to drive like that, it's needed that there are:
- enough, frequent charge locations with multiple chargers (otherwise there is a risk you have to wait).
- chargers should be (>) 100kW - otherwise it takes too long to charge
- reliable chargers (preferably with online real-time info about availability) - that enables you to arrive at 5% SoC or lower.
- a battery size large enough to take you appr. between 225 and 250 km with max 80% SoC, in almost any weather condition (otherwise you have to stop to often)

Usually on such a trip we depart at 100% SoC from home or hotel (a fast enough in-car charger is needed for that ) and also stop for lunch or dinner for more than 30 minutes allowing us to charge up to 100% SoC again. Recently we dit a trip Amsterdam-Berlin (800km) with just one lag of 300km between stops (avg 122 km/hr) - all others were appr. 200km or shorter.

emgf

Post by emgf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 am

EDi99 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am
For a long one-day trip of appr. 1.000 km a schedule of driving between 2 and 2,5 hours followed by between 20 and 30 minutes charging is very relaxing. Ample time for a coffee or toilet visit. What we've learned over time is that it is better to stop more frequently and charge shorter compared to charge above 80% and drive longer between stops.

To be able to drive like that, it's needed that there are:
- enough, frequent charge locations with multiple chargers (otherwise there is a risk you have to wait).
- chargers should be (>) 100kW - otherwise it takes too long to charge
- reliable chargers (preferably with online real-time info about availability) - that enables you to arrive at 5% SoC or lower.
- a battery size large enough to take you appr. between 225 and 250 km with max 80% SoC, in almost any weather condition (otherwise you have to stop to often)

Usually on such a trip we depart at 100% SoC from home or hotel (a fast enough in-car charger is needed for that ) and also stop for lunch or dinner for more than 30 minutes allowing us to charge up to 100% SoC again. Recently we dit a trip Amsterdam-Berlin (800km) with just one lag of 300km between stops (avg 122 km/hr) - all others were appr. 200km or shorter.
I totally agree with your charging strategy
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”