I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jelle v/d Meer

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Just received an email with a letter attached advising/explaining the change in WLTP range from 480km to 470km.

Translated from Dutch:
we were informed by Jaguar that the Jaguar I-pace has undergone new tests, now with production-ready cars. All this in the context of the new WLTP. This shows that the range of the Jaguar I-pace is 470 km instead of the previously announced 480 km.
Jaguar strives for an open and honest communication and asked us to inform you about this. At the same time, Jaguar wishes to apologize for this change. Furthermore, this new test does not result in any other technical characteristics.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

Tophe74

Post by Tophe74 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:03 pm

OMG ! We lost 10km ! I ll cancel my order :)
If just one day i can do 470km with i pace i ll be more than happy. But i doubt it. 400 seems to be doable but with egg under foot.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Tophe74 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:03 pm
OMG ! We lost 10km ! I ll cancel my order :)
If just one day i can do 470km with i pace i ll be more than happy. But i doubt it. 400 seems to be doable but with egg under foot.
Indeed but the bigger part was that the WLTP range reduced from concept/pre-production to final production version. It would have made more sense that it went the other way.
Now the hope is that OTA will fix whatever went wrong in some of the range tests down with pre-production models.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

emgf

Post by emgf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 pm

I saw on a Tesla forum the way they do the range math :
Provided that
— 90% is the daily recommanded battery charge
— 80% is your driving efficiency coefficient ( could be higher or lower )
— 470 km is the JLR optimum range
Then your practical range is : 0,9x0,8x470 = 338 km .
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018

sjur

Post by sjur » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm

That may be.
I sold my 4 1/2 yr old Tesla when I ordered the I-Pace. THe I-Pace became the car of choice when I was assured that it could easily match Tesla's range. Here's what I have experience with my Tesla model S 85:
I have a cabin in the south of Norway, on the other side of the country. To get there I have to cross two mountain passes, climbing two times from sea level to about 1300m. I've done this the last four summers. Temperature varying from 18 to 7 degrees celcius. The road standard is poor and the speed has mostly been between 60 and 80 km/h with three passengers and stuffed trunk and frunk. The trip is 435 km and I have topped up the battery to 100% before each trip. I have never had any problems making the 435 km without having to stop to charge. GOal has been reached with between 3 and 6 % rest - reasonably drained, in other words - but keeping it's promised range.
It is correct that you should not charge more than 90% on a daily basis (actually 80% is the recommended daily charge) to and you should drip charge every day - this to prolong battery life. Before a long trip, there is no problem charging to 100%.
I have had my test drive in the I-Pace and it is a fantastic car. It seems to far better built than Tesla and it has much more punch than the model S85.
However:
I wouldn't have sold the Tesla and bought the I-Pace if I had known that the I-Pace is nowhere near the Tesla-range. And it definitely doesn't feel any better getting a 3-4month delay in delivery.
I REALLY hope Jaguar find a solution that takes the car closer to the wltp-range. :(

CaliDave

Post by CaliDave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:19 pm

If my recollection is correct, the autoblog.nl video review states that some test drives from the Portugal event saw a 270 mile range for the iPace.

I know there's some potential concern about Portugal being pre-production . . .

mca2

Post by mca2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 pm

sjur wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
[...]
It is correct that you should not charge more than 90% on a daily basis (actually 80% is the recommended daily charge) to and you should drip charge every day - this to prolong battery life. Before a long trip, there is no problem charging to 100%.
[...]
Bit off-topic and I’m new to EVs, but will this be done automatically? Or do you have to program it?
Firenze Red HSE with AAS, AD, AdSR and Black Screens of Death every 2 weeks

CaliDave

Post by CaliDave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am

Correcting my earlier post.

autoblog.nl suggests a mid-200s range (normal driving).

jake stumph, also reviewing in Portugal, reports hearing others get 270 miles.

Hrakso

Post by Hrakso » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm

The range surely will improve with new software which JLR is now working on? Tesla also had to launch a few software updates to improve their range?

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Just read this article and I'm not sure if it's been posted elsewhere:

https://insideevs.com/heres-how-far-the ... harge/amp/
or source: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electr ... ctually-go

The Jaguar I-Pace has an official WLTP range of 298 miles. The trip Top Gear was about to take is 291 miles. It features city driving, some back roads, motorways and a few stops necessitated by a real-world need for the driver to take a break. The trip is finished with some precarious accelerator pedal usage, braking as the last resort, slow in and slow out of every possible road scenario. The I-Pace manages to reach the southern tip of the British Isles with a single charge. However, there are some caveats to the whole situation.

The Jaguar I-Pace had to be charged once to ensure the vehicle wouldn’t be left stranded on the road. They’ve popped by a charger to add 10% to the battery, but the vehicle actually reached the finish line with 11% of its battery power remaining. That means 99 percent actually used. The crew attained the rated WLTP range. But only crawling along, denied heating, A/C, stereo, HUD, lane-assist, wipers, headlights. The actual driving range for any sane person not dwelling about the aforementioned driving modes will certainly be less.

Not bad for a large, chunky vehicle who’s range calculating software is still in beta. The new driving range test is more realistic than the old and we reckon it’s gonna raise a lot of dust in the EV industry in the forthcoming months. Largely because it still seems less accurate than EPA figures.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”