Ionity Network

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Chgokev

Re: Ionity Network

Post by Chgokev » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 am

Shell Recharge (Newmotion) seems to have negotiated a new rate.
Now shows £0.61 for Ionity in my app.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:14 am

Chgokev wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 am
Shell Recharge (Newmotion) seems to have negotiated a new rate.
Now shows £0.61 for Ionity in my app.
I believe ChargePoint are still the cheapest at £0.58. Still extortionate though! :lol:

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:56 am

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 am
electric beagle wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:35 am
Given the small number of Ionity chargers outside the south of the country how would a subscription make sense for most of us anyway?

Isnt the BP rollout of 150kw chargers more likely to be useful in the UK?
You get those rates on all networks that accept PlugSurfing, not just Ionity.

Also, with Leeds, Perth and Gretna (and one under construction in Glasgow) there are a lot of people who could make good use of Ionity outside of the South of England.
Don't forget Darwen (where my RFID card refused to work and there was no other means to make a payment).

High capacity charging is good but only if reliable and with a decent geographical spread to make long distance travel less of a lottery

I shall continue to fire up the Quattro for longer distance trips until there is a decent and reliable infrastructure to make electric viable. Hoping that BP start to deliver theirs.

Although if long distance trips were a priority for me I would probably have done the sensible thing and bought a Tesla S
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:38 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:56 am

Don't forget Darwen (where my RFID card refused to work and there was no other means to make a payment).

High capacity charging is good but only if reliable and with a decent geographical spread to make long distance travel less of a lottery

I shall continue to fire up the Quattro for longer distance trips until there is a decent and reliable infrastructure to make electric viable. Hoping that BP start to deliver theirs.

Although if long distance trips were a priority for me I would probably have done the sensible thing and bought a Tesla S
I’ve made many long distance trips in my I-Pace with zero issues. I honestly feel the infrastructure is perfectly functional at the moment. It needs to expand, not so much to improve it for current users, but to accommodate the increased number of EVs that will be on the road in the future. It requires a bit more planning than a petrol journey for sure, but that will almost certainly be the case for years to come. I’ve actually found my long distance trips on the Jag much more relaxing and enjoyable than in any ICE vehicle over the years.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:52 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:38 pm
electric beagle wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:56 am

I’ve made many long distance trips in my I-Pace with zero issues. I honestly feel the infrastructure is perfectly functional at the moment. It needs to expand, not so much to improve it for current users, but to accommodate the increased number of EVs that will be on the road in the future. It requires a bit more planning than a petrol journey for sure, but that will almost certainly be the case for years to come. I’ve actually found my long distance trips on the Jag much more relaxing and enjoyable than in any ICE vehicle over the years.
I think it depends on trip types and driving style too. So my long distance trips would be something like Preston to London at quiet times in circa 2.5 hours or less. That just isn't possible in an EV and unless it's easy to stop off at something high capacity that allows rapid gain in SoC it doesn't seem possible to come even close to it
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

AGT

Post by AGT » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:53 pm

I agree with ADD.

I make regular Edinburgh to London trips and this route is now well covered by reliable ultrafast charging - Ionity at Gretna, e-On at Preston, e-On at Birmingham, Ionity at Milton Keynes and BP at Hammersmith. Each of these also has a workable Plan B which I have never had to use. The provision of decent charging on or very close to the motorway is much better than when I first got my I-Pace and used the A1 to drive to Londonbfor the thrill of free ultrafast charging courtesy of Fastned in Sunderland.

If you add in Ionity at Maidstone and Perth and, I think, the new ultrafast at Wallyford just off the Edinburgh bypass (I've not been there ) then you could start at the Channel and use ultrafast charging until you glide to a halt somewhere in the Scottish Highlands. I acknowledge that it is not cheap but I am happy to pay for the pleasure of using the Jag on long trips.

The biggest risk is those white jelly mould things swarming around "our" chargers!

AGT

Post by AGT » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:06 pm

That's a bit speedy - an average of almost 90 mph.

For sure non-Tesla EVs don't really work driving that fast with our charging network in the UK. The reason why I quite like driving the I-Pace up and down to London is that you can't drive fast no matter what your car and the realistic average speed is in a spot where the I-Pace is quite efficient.

We took our I-Pace to Austria earlier this year. The Ionity provision along the road was great and you could drive the car fast, stop to charge back up to 80% and go again. That worked but even a 5 minute detour off the autobahn to charge would have made that a pain.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 pm

AGT wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:53 pm

The biggest risk is those white jelly mould things swarming around "our" chargers!
A good number of them are dull black but yes totally agree.

The current number of DC 50kW chargers means that we can't just get in and drive everywhere outside the cars range at a moments notice. We have to plan our journeys at least the first or second time we make them. After that we know where the Plan B and Plan C chargers are located and the stress levels/range anxiety drops right off. (unless we want to go north of Perth or into west Wales)
Planning really takes very little time at all for a simple A-to-B trip.

There was a recent article on CleanTechnica where they listed the numbers of chargers across most of Europe. For DC chargers, we
have (from memory) over 1500 50kW+ currently installed and the numbers are growing weekly. TBH, unless you are at a place where vehicles are going to be parked for 3+ hours, then installing AC chargers is a bit of a dead loss.

With the developing situation it seems that most of us will be parked at home for a good portion of what remains of 2020. The sooner this year is over the better.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20C since 11th Dec 2020 Maps : whatever is current/can be bothered to download

RobN

Post by RobN » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:12 pm

I agree with ADD, AGT & others who say long distance in the I-Pace works in the UK. It’s not perfect, but with a bit of planning (ZapMap or ABRP) it’s not anxiety inducing.

My concern is there are just too many providers so you need a wallet full of cards and a dozen (or more) apps on the phone! I also worry about congestion at chargers, especially as BEVs become ever more popular. Although we all want more BEVs and less ICEs on the road I do worry that charging capacity may not always be in step with demand.
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

Chgokev

Post by Chgokev » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:16 am

New prices appearing in the app. £.0.92/kWh. Absolutely outrageous. This is double the cost of petrol to travel the same distance. Shameful for a company that is having 20% of its infrastructure build out paid for by the EU. (€38m!!)

Seems Shell Recharge / Chargepoint are the cheapest to access the Ionity network now.