Transform your I-Pace; switch regen to low!

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
mikew

Transform your I-Pace; switch regen to low!

Post by mikew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I did a trip on Friday that involved some fairly narrow roads and villages with lines of parked cars to squeeze past.

It was dark and I found myself keeping further from the nearside of the road and and the lines of cars than I would normally do. I was being overly cautious. I tried to analyse why I was doing this and eventually came to the conclusion that it was the steering feel that was giving me a lack of confidence.

Turning the steering wheel to make minor direction adjustments I could feel it trying to resist the change. It felt a bit like having a fast spinning toy gyroscope in your hand and trying to twist it on its axis... the harder you twist the more it resists. I tried a few deliberate small changes and the feeling of resistance was unmistakable and always there.

I didn't feel confident that I could place the car with total precision, so was giving the side of the road and other cars a wide berth.

Wondering about the cause I started to think about the return trip to Manchester airport I'd done a week or so previously. On that trip I'd had no such issues and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of driving the car.

So what was different? The only thing I could think of was that I'd put the car into low regen mode in the belief it would maximise range on the long motorway sections. Surely it couldn't have anything to do with that? Well, try it anyway...

In low regen mode the steering was transformed! The feeling of resistance was completely gone. I tried some more deliberate small changes of direction and found it was simplicity itself to place the car with total confidence.

In addition the car felt more settled on the road; less fidgety and with a stronger feeling of just gliding along effortlessly.

So I left it in low regen mode. And then I noticed something perhaps even more remarkable. It was a very cold day and for the whole journey I'd been hovering around a pretty lacklustre 46 kWh/100 miles. The consumption was dropping like a stone; I only had seven miles to go, but by the time I got home it had dropped to 43 kWh/100 miles.

Is it possible the car has better economy in low regen mode? I'll need to do some more tests, but I can well believe it. There are just so many occasions when you can keep it coasting with zero consumption or light regen. On the approach to roundabouts and closing on slower traffic... it is amazing what you can achieve with a little anticipation.

Further tests aside, I can tell you that I'm already a convert, but would be most interested in other members thoughts.
Last edited by mikew on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 15.2

FENorway

Re: Transform your I-Pace; switch regen to low!

Post by FENorway » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Yes it is definitely possible that low regen is better for range.
Actually it's most likely to be best. Low regen and coasting is giving best range for all EVs I've owned/tested.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 1022 19B_19.40.4-436082 and 14.2

mjc

Post by mjc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Depends on your driving style... If you naturally drive with very little use of the brakes, then I think low regen can definitely be beneficial to economy, but if you find yourself using the brakes more as a result of transferring from high regen to low regen, you will not see any benefit, and may get worse consumption.
I-Pace HSE delivered 14/12/2018 - Farallon Black, Air++, oyster interior, panoramic roof, 20" std wheels
InControl Touch Pro Software Version: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics Software Version: 14.2
:?

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

mjc wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm
Depends on your driving style... If you naturally drive with very little use of the brakes, then I think low regen can definitely be beneficial to economy, but if you find yourself using the brakes more as a result of transferring from high regen to low regen, you will not see any benefit, and may get worse consumption.
Inevitably you have to use the brakes more and especially around town and in traffic. You can't coast all the way to a halt at every roundabout; at least not if you want to avoid annoying the hell out of following traffic!

But I believe the first part of the brake pedal's travel is all regen? The economy gauge certainly dives into heavy regen as you press the pedal. So maybe you are recovering nearly as much energy as high regen mode would have done? Plus you are getting 100% benefit from your momentum for every metre you coast.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.

mjc

Post by mjc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 pm

mikew wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm
mjc wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm
Inevitably you have to use the brakes more and especially around town and in traffic. You can't coast all the way to a halt at every roundabout; at least not if you want to avoid annoying the hell out of following traffic!

But I believe the first part of the brake pedal's travel is all regen? The economy gauge certainly dives into heavy regen as you press the pedal. So maybe you are recovering nearly as much energy as high regen mode would have done? Plus you are getting 100% benefit from your momentum for every metre you coast.
You are correct. I must admit that I have not yet tried the high regen on my car (although I used that extensively at Millbrook). Loving the way the car drives on low regen, and needing to remember to use the brake when coming to a full stop - to prevent rolling back. :D :shock:
I-Pace HSE delivered 14/12/2018 - Farallon Black, Air++, oyster interior, panoramic roof, 20" std wheels
InControl Touch Pro Software Version: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics Software Version: 14.2
:?

Bart

Post by Bart » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:43 pm

mikew wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:18 pm
Is it possible the car has better economy in low regen mode? I'll need to do some more tests, but I can well believe it. There are just so many occasions when you can keep it coasting with zero consumption or light regen. On the approach to roundabouts and closing on slower traffic... it is amazing what you can achieve with a little anticipation.

Further tests aside, I can tell you that I'm already a convert, but would be most interested in other members thoughts.
I've been driving in low-regen-mode from the beginning.
Other EV's like nissan leaf have shown that low-regen has better economy than high regen, and I think for rather obvious reasons:

imagine two more or less identical scenario's:
- assuming city-traffic
- two i-paces, one in high regen (1) other in low (2).
- same distance, say 400 m travel.
- energy is what counts, not time

Car (1) travels at "cruise-speed" for say 350 m. After that accelerator is released, and high regen kicks in.
Car (2) travels at "cruise-speed" for say 200 m. After that accelerator is released, and low-regen kicks in.

Energy consumption / waste:
Car (1 AND 2): 400 m of rolling resistance, assume constant over the distance travelled (so can be discarded)
Car (1) has higher air resistance, as it is traveling for a longer distance at high "cruise-speed", and uses more energy than car (1)

As high regen can not be 100% efficient car (1) has to use more energy than car (2).

Other thoughts about it?

Other than economic driving, it gives a more stable driving (less car-sickness), and you don't have your braking lights behaving like a stroboscope..

Also in low-regen you don't have to use your brakes that often, as you plan ahead and try to read the road/traffic.
Corris Grey, Black Exterior Pack, 20" 5-split spoke 5070, Air-suspension, HUD, DAB+,
Heated Windscreen, Heated Steering Wheel
--
In control (OTA): S19B_19.40.4-436082
Ordered 04-2018, Delivered 12-2018

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Bart wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:43 pm
mikew wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I've been driving in low-regen-mode from the beginning.
Other EV's like nissan leaf have shown that low-regen has better economy than high regen, and I think for rather obvious reasons:

imagine two more or less identical scenario's:
- assuming city-traffic
- two i-paces, one in high regen (1) other in low (2).
- same distance, say 400 m travel.
- energy is what counts, not time

Car (1) travels at "cruise-speed" for say 350 m. After that accelerator is released, and high regen kicks in.
Car (2) travels at "cruise-speed" for say 200 m. After that accelerator is released, and low-regen kicks in.

Energy consumption / waste:
Car (1 AND 2): 400 m of rolling resistance, assume constant over the distance travelled (so can be discarded)
Car (1) has higher air resistance, as it is traveling for a longer distance at high "cruise-speed", and uses more energy than car (1)

As high regen can not be 100% efficient car (1) has to use more energy than car (2).

Other thoughts about it?

Other than economic driving, it gives a more stable driving (less car-sickness), and you don't have your braking lights behaving like a stroboscope..

Also in low-regen you don't have to use your brakes that often, as you plan ahead and try to read the road/traffic.
Thanks Bart, I agree completely with your reasoning.

But what about the steering resistance in high regen mode? Any ideas on where that is coming from? My feeling is that it is concerned with how the front motor is behaving.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:19 pm

FENorway wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:32 pm
Yes it is definitely possible that low regen is better for range.
Actually it's most likely to be best. Low regen and coasting is giving best range for all EVs I've owned/tested.
Agreed. I drive my Outlander pretty well all the time using the regen (5 levels via flappy paddles). You hardly need to touch the brakes.
But... (there is always one isn't there?) you do tend to notice the terrain a lot more.
Going along the A281 from Guildford to Horsham will use a different amount of battery that going the other way. Northbound and apart from the uphill section at Bucks Green is more economic that the other direction especially the section from Bucks Green to Horsham. Yes I know the road very well (I used to work at Dunsfold).
The Hogs Back (A31) is the same. East to West is far, far more economical than West to East. That's easy as you are slowly climbing towards Guildford...
That's why I'd love to have contours in SatNav mapping/ route planners. That would allow some complicated maths to work out the energy cost of different routes. With EV's, it is not all about distance. You have to consider terrain as well.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

jason.birchall

Post by jason.birchall » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:32 pm

If braking is firstly regen anyway then I'd prefer low regen mode and to be able control braking and therefore the amount of regen myself in realtime. Tried low regent mode on motorway as in high regen mode the car felt it was lurching between coasting, accelerating and braking. Will try low regent for a while.
Last edited by jason.birchall on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IPace model S
White, Pano Roof, Black 20 inch wheels, black pack.
Looks and drives great, but is really unreliable.

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm

When we went on the public roads from the Millbrook circuit we tried high regen which as a passenger made me feel a little car sick. Normally I don’t suffer with that ever! :cry:
Farallon black HSE, 20” wheels , oyster interior

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”