Tesla - Oh Dear..

The place to discuss everything else..
Chewy

Tesla - Oh Dear..

Post by Chewy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 pm

This guy really loves Tesla and EVs ....

Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-19.24, H228

Goshdarnit

Re: Tesla - Oh Dear..

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

What a complete rhymes with sock.

I do think the Tesla "solution" is absolute nonsense and they deserve to be sued for it. But this guy is an idiot.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm
What a complete rhymes with sock.

I do think the Tesla "solution" is absolute nonsense and they deserve to be sued for it. But this guy is an idiot.
If you take him for what he, he is quite amusing. He doesn’t take himself seriously :-)
S19A-19.24, H228

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Don't feed his clickbait existence by posting this crap.
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S19B_19.35 Tele 16.2 Maps 100.153
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Terry60 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm
Don't feed his clickbait existence by posting this crap.
Sorry I find him amusing. However, I will refrain from posting links on here.
S19A-19.24, H228

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm

While the video is a bit of a rant he does raise an interesting point...
You paid for the car so does Tesla have the right to downgrade the configuration at their whim while you sleep and therefore have not specifically agreed to.
It could be seen as computer tampering and therefore illegal in many places.

I have to ask if Tesla has the same lawyers as Apple. Apple have similar problems with batteries on some iPhones so they throttled the CPU speed to preserve battery life. Apple got sued as well.
That's life I suppose.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 am

I think:

If it has become apparent that some change is needed, to preserve battery life
and it is within the "Warranty "loss"
then no leg to stand on ... and better to have improved software that preserves battery than allow more damage / degradation to be done.

I'm sure it is very annoying for owners though

This may well turn out to be an issue with other Marques too ... most "big battery" EVs are relatively new, so no long term data yet available.

Original Leafs lost, what?, 50% of battery capacity (mostly because they had no active battery management cooling). Did those owners "Class Action" too (IDK)?

I'll take a side bet ... future version of the software reduces the "loss" significantly / somewhat. Tesla have a history of "I want to change from A to A*2 or A/2" and what they do is change to A*5 ... or A/5 ... and then when there is outcry throttle back to the, original intended, A*2 or A/2 and everyone goes "Oh! That's OK then" ... whereas an initial change to A*2 or A/2 would have met with the same outcry.

Staffing levels
Price drop
and so on

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am

Jaguar should take heed of this.

There is a rumour put out by a member on the forum that Jaguar are to relax the thermal management on the I-Pace to achieve a gain of 20 to 30 miles in the summer giving a range for most people of 300 miles?

Well, as the norm for drivers on the forum is around 240 to 250 miles, this increase in range would have to be substantially more than that to give 300 miles.

People purchased the I-Pace knowing the range of the car. Jaguar say a realistic range is 230 to 240 miles.

The battery management in the car looks after the battery by putting tight control limits on the temperature range that the battery is allowed to operate at. Tesla uses 18degC up to 55degC as it’s acceptable control range. The I-Pace is much tighter than this, though Jaguar has not stated fully what it is. In no way can this control regime be considered “over cooling”.

Clearly tighter temperature control of the battery requires more energy to maintain it, and hence a hit on range. The BMS has to work harder if the car is pushed harder, hence the hit on range. My driving style for range has the effect of negating some of the hard work the BMS is put to in trying to maintain a close tolerance battery temperature. Acceleration is one of the biggest killers of range, it consumes vast amounts of energy, and rapidly heats the battery. Keeping your acceleration to a slow rate will negate both these factors and extend range.

For Jaguar to reduce the BMS control could very well open a big can of worms later in the life of the I-Pace.

I would rather stay where I am with the BMS on this issue and accept that the car does what it does.
S19A-19.24, H228

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 am

Chewy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am
Jaguar should take heed of this.
Tesla have "relaxed" some things when they found that tolerances were better than expected (or maybe, for sceptical-me!, when there was a marketing need)

e.g. the whole fleet of Cooking Versions was lifted from 5s 0-60 to 4s

If Jaguar find similar they could do likewise. (Or maybe they did the engineering testing right in the first place :) )

Bit the same (to my mind) with the 100kW charging which has been "Imminent" for a while (maybe its actually happening now with SOTA? I've not been playing close attention)

I think 20 - 30 miles would be handy for iPace. My onlookers-view is that folk here are often charging well into Taper (side note: might be there is no Taper at 50kW ... but there will be at 100kW). I only do that in Tesla if I absolutely have no charging opportunity ... my journey is shorter if I charge only up to Taper, driver faster, and charge more at nest charging-stop. Charging into Taper wrecks the journey time (charging below 100kW is similar outcome of course)

So IMHO 100kW + no need to charge into Taper [because of extra 30 mile range] would improve journey time (on "out of range days")

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 am

Chewy, Thanks for the great Tesla link yesterday, when I got back from the pub last night it really amused me, I think it is something to do with the brutal honesty of the Australians – I love um.
Please don’t stop sharing these links, they are great.
Stop _ Stop Stop _ Stop, don’t read on if you think it is wrong to post link on the website off topic.

I have put a link for you here to another Ozzie news reader, some of what she says is not correct but most of it is bang on, follow at your own risk.
I Pace HSE Indus Silver MY20, S19B,20" Wheels,Red Leather,AdSR, Active Air, Adaptive Dynamics, HUD,Cabin Air Ionisation & other bits and bobs, based in the Midlands B77, UK.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”