Hyundai Joins Ionity

The place to discuss everything else..
alex_haddock

Hyundai Joins Ionity

Post by alex_haddock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 am

Hopefully means more £££ for investment. 8-)

Few more Ionity locations, the Polar rollout and good old InstaVolt and we’re cooking with gas.
i-Pace First Edition, Santorini Black, 20", 04/03/19
Known Software: 16.2 (Telematics module replaced) - S19B (dealer initiated)
H228 Completed

scm

Re: Hyundai Joins Ionity

Post by scm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 am

alex_haddock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 am
Few more Ionity locations, the Polar rollout and good old InstaVolt and we’re cooking with gas.
I thought the idea of EVs was to get rid of the gas .... ;)

alex_haddock

Post by alex_haddock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am

scm wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 am
alex_haddock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 am
I thought the idea of EVs was to get rid of the gas .... ;)
:lol:

Though in my view an EV is simply a far superior technology than ICE even today with battery limitations. I'm still not convinced that electric hobs are superior to gas ones, can we all save enough emissions from cars to allow the sin of a gas hob that little bit longer ;)
H228 Completed

scm

Post by scm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 am

alex_haddock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am
I'm still not convinced that electric hobs are superior to gas ones, can we all save enough emissions from cars to allow the sin of a gas hob that little bit longer ;)
Very true, the instant heat control is far superior! :D

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am

Why would Hyundai join Ionity - what benefit does Ionity bring for Hyundai?

The Ionity stations will anyway be build - Hyundai does not need to join for their EV customer to be able to use the stations. I can't foresee a future where only Ionity manufacturers cars can charge at Ionity meaning Jaguar or Tesla owners wouldn't be able to charge - the more customers charge the better it is for Ionity.
Jaguar didn't join - Tesla didn't join yet a lot of Tesla's are using them particularly M3 as often Ionity is cheaper and faster than Tesla Supercharger network.

From Ionity side there is an obvious benefit as more money coming in. Hopefully the extra money is not going to bank account of previous Ionity partners but goes to increased speed of station roll out as well as more chargers per station.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

alex_haddock

Post by alex_haddock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am
Why would Hyundai join Ionity - what benefit does Ionity bring for Hyundai?

The Ionity stations will anyway be build - Hyundai does not need to join for their EV customer to be able to use the stations. I can't foresee a future where only Ionity manufacturers cars can charge at Ionity meaning Jaguar or Tesla owners wouldn't be able to charge - the more customers charge the better it is for Ionity.
Jaguar didn't join - Tesla didn't join yet a lot of Tesla's are using them particularly M3 as often Ionity is cheaper and faster than Tesla Supercharger network.

From Ionity side there is an obvious benefit as more money coming in. Hopefully the extra money is not going to bank account of previous Ionity partners but goes to increased speed of station roll out as well as more chargers per station.
I doubt JLR has the funds to join the club at Ionity. I can only assume that Hyundai see that they'll drive their (apparently successful) EV range sales even faster if people can actually charge. They may also see some long term profit but who knows that.

Or, most likely, they have an exec living in the UK who had to try Ecotricity and that sealed the deal.........
H228 Completed

norpace

Post by norpace » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 pm

scm wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 am
alex_haddock wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am
I'm still not convinced that electric hobs are superior to gas ones, can we all save enough emissions from cars to allow the sin of a gas hob that little bit longer ;)
Very true, the instant heat control is far superior! :D
Try electric induction cooktops... and no need to ever look back.

scm

Post by scm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 pm

norpace wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 pm
Try electric induction cooktops... and no need to ever look back.
Sorry, when you've got used to parking a Jaguar, looking back is an automatic reflex! ;)

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”