How clean is an EV?

The place to discuss everything else..
Buzzer

Re: How clean is an EV?

Post by Buzzer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:10 pm

I’m not going to comment on this thread. But just to say Gosgdarnit I find your contribution on the forum is certainly appreciated,
i-Pace SE Black, Ivory interior, 360 camera, 20" wheels
other.... cars Lotus, Westfield, Classic Range Rover.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:01 pm

I find it a huge shame that two of the most prolific contributors to this forum are at war on this topic.

Chewy threw a perfectly valid question into the ring, with an invitation to “Discuss - or not”.

Whether you agree or disagree with the points he made, he did not deserve the vitriol served up by GDI. I assume I am missing something else in their communications which led to Chewy being blocked, but as far as this thread is concerned, I find GDI’s responses disproportionately antagonistic.

I posted earlier about the fact that what matters is the lifetime “costs”. I’ve found the report I was referring to:

https://www.lowcvp.org.uk/assets/workin ... report.pdf

and it’s 19t CO2 for an EV cf 24t for an ICE. Better, but not hugely, which is exactly the point Chewy was making.

Those of you who generate your own electricity from PV etc are doing a great job, but it’s irrelevant to the EV argument - your PV generation saves the same amount of CO2 whether you charge your own EV or just push it into the grid.

Those of us driving today’s EVs aren’t “saving the planet” - yet. We are the early adopters who are encouraging and enabling the mass take up of the technology which just might help STP in a decade’s time.

So, GDI and Chewy: please kiss and make up; your contributions to the debate are too valuable to lose.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S20B1_20.30.2-578440 & anon (never upgraded at dealer)

oop north

Post by oop north » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Blimey. Not been here for a few days. With all this childishness on display I am not sure I will bother coming back :roll:
it’s here! Arrived 29.04.19, HSE, MY20, Caesium Blue, tan interior, black bits

scm

Post by scm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:01 pm
Those of us driving today’s EVs aren’t “saving the planet” - yet. We are the early adopters who are encouraging and enabling the mass take up of the technology which just might help STP in a decade’s time.
Of course the planet doesn't actually need saving - it'll carry on perfectly with or without mankind. ;)

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 am

Very true, i think we can safely ignore this latest Doomsday Cult.
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

Tophe74

Post by Tophe74 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:17 pm

If your child got a cancer I don't think saving the planet would be your first goal. And Co2 are not responsible of cancers but other particles are.
As we say, small streams do big reavers. EV are a good start. Not the best I know but better than ice for sure.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18