Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Congestion Charge

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  SammyD 
#1 ·
Thought I might avoid the Congestion Charge when driving my I-Pace into London recently.
But no, It seems you have to register the car with TfL a couple of weeks before you arrive, and provide documentary evidence that it is exempt from the charge. Oh, and pay them a £10 fee for registration, which is only valid for 1 year.
As I had no plans for further drives into London it was easier just to pay the £11.50 CC.
TfL have no problems obtaining your details from DVLA to send a penalty notice if you don't pay by the following day, so why can't they automatically recognise from the number plate that your electric car is exempt from the charge?
Easy money I suppose.

#2 ·
What cheating money grabbers they are. Before I saw this post I thought that the next time I go to London that's one thing that I will not have to think about! Wrong again.
A bit like the government reducing the new car grant by £1000.00 when there is the prospect of more EV 's being registered.

#3 ·
If it really is a congestion charge then all vehicles should pay it. even EV's take up space on the road. A pollution charge is a different. matter.

By reducing the EV grant the "government" has shot itself in the foot. For every potential EV buyer put off by the reduction the treasury misses out 20% VAT on what could be a considerable amount of dosh.

#4 ·
Sparks said:
If it really is a congestion charge then all vehicles should pay it. even EV's take up space on the road. A pollution charge is a different. matter.

By reducing the EV grant the "government" has shot itself in the foot. For every potential EV buyer put off by the reduction the treasury misses out 20% VAT on what could be a considerable amount of dosh

So why did a great number of black cabs go electric?
Reducing exhaust gas pollution is a good thing.
An incentive of zero "congestion charge" for those willing to do this should be recognised

#5 ·
Sparks said:
By reducing the EV grant the "government" has shot itself in the foot. For every potential EV buyer put off by the reduction the treasury misses out 20% VAT on what could be a considerable amount of dosh.
Ah, but then they continue to rake it on from petrol sales ....
They've also shot themselves in the foot with their punitive car tax regime - anyone paying nearly £500 a year to tax a "gas guzzler" isn't going to leave it at home and take public transport!

#6 ·
Quick question. I've registered my iPace and it now correctly shows on my account as no ULEZ/LEZ charge on my account. However it still says on the checker that might need to pay the congestion charge but going through to that it is exempt as an electric vehicle. So long as it shows on the ULEZ checker do I need to register it anywhere else for the congestion charge, I don't think so as it was all one registration (its just annoying it doesn't explicitly state on the bleeping checker that it is ULEZ/LEZ/Congestion exempt)? Any reassurance from someone who has done this and driven into London a few times without charge would be welcome.

Edit - Terrible website but now found the part that says don't need to pay ULEZ but do need to pay congestion charge.
Edit 2 - I've now had an email with a PDF saying I've got 100% discount on the Congestion charge but might need to pay the ULEZ

So the combination of the website that says now ULEZ exempt (but have to pay CC) and the PDF which says I have 100% discount on paying the CC then I think I'm there....What a mess.

#7 ·
When I check my I-pace on the tfl site it says I have to pay the ULEZ charge, they have had my V5 for the congestion zone discount, yet all the ULEZ checkers say I-Pace is exempt.

I've now had to send my V5 again for the ULEZ as I know they will charge me.

#8 ·
I registered, sent v5 etc and got TFL email confirming valid exemption as paid £10. I wrote to them saying do I need to notify when going into London and had confirmation back that there is no need to register each time as that means we have to pay the £15.

Another point to note.... When parking in Westminster use Ringo to pay for 10min and stay 4hours but be very careful because Camden and other boroughs have NO discount.

#9 ·
Jamesward said:
I registered, sent v5 etc and got TFL email confirming valid exemption as paid £10. I wrote to them saying do I need to notify when going into London and had confirmation back that there is no need to register each time as that means we have to pay the £15.

Another point to note.... When parking in Westminster use Ringo to pay for 10min and stay 4hours but be very careful because Camden and other boroughs have NO discount.
the TfL website is a crapshoot. Conflicting information all over the place. Links that send you around in circles.

I have looked into taking my I-Pace into Notting Hill but I've just given up and I'm going to take the Motorcycle. Yes, it pollutes but I know that it is exempt.
As has been said about the Home Office... TfL is not fit for purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.