Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Another question to JLR CRC

17K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  OMR 
#1 ·
Good morning CRC , used to be Becci , but not so sure who replies now .
In the thread/topic concerning the current situation with100KW charging there was a recent post saying that there is a new update H159-V3 which needs to be installed into our I-Paces .
This then enables OTA updates , and 100KW charging ability .
Could you please confirm if this is accurate info ,
and what do we need to do next ?
Could you also possibly advise us all how future updates etc will be made common knowledge ,
should we receive some sort of contact from JLR , or our dealers ?
thanks
Malcolm

#27 ·
Chewy said:
An answer from Jaguar that doesn't provide an answer.

The majority of purchases of the I-Pace are from 2018. How is anyone other than Jaguar supposed to know if a car is MY19?

The statement says all I-Pace cars support OTA updates then goes on to say they have to be MY19.

I know my car has old software in it, delivered Dec 2018. I took the car into my local Jaguar Dealer on Dec 31st. They spent 3 hours updating the software, then I drove away with EXACTLY the same old software that I arrived with.

How do we determine what MY our cars are and if they support OTA updates?

The only advice my car has ever given me about a software update is for the SatNav Maps being out of date and then advising that I purchase a 32GByte USB memory stick and go to my computer and home internet to download a huge amount of data and then plug the USB stick into my car so it can update the maps!!!! What is the the point of OTA updates and connecting my car to my home WiFi if it is unable to use it to update its maps?
Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your post.

The model year can be determined by the 10th character of your Vehicle Identification Number. The letter [K] would identify your vehicle as 19MY.

Unfortunately you will not be able to receive OTA updates if your vehicle is 18MY or below.

I am concerned to hear of your experience with your retailer, should you wish for me to investigate this further then please may i request that you send me a PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your personal contact details
The retailer you have been in contact with

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#29 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Chewy said:

The majority of purchases of the I-Pace are from 2018. How is anyone other than Jaguar supposed to know if a car is MY19?

The statement says all I-Pace cars support OTA updates then goes on to say they have to be MY19.

I know my car has old software in it, delivered Dec 2018. I took the car into my local Jaguar Dealer on Dec 31st. They spent 3 hours updating the software, then I drove away with EXACTLY the same old software that I arrived with.

The only advice my car has ever given me about a software update is for the SatNav Maps being out of date and then advising that I purchase a 32GByte USB memory stick and go to my computer and home internet to download a huge amount of data and then plug the USB stick into my car so it can update the maps!!!! What is the the point of OTA updates and connecting my car to my home WiFi if it is unable to use it to update its maps?
Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your post.

The model year can be determined by the 10th character of your Vehicle Identification Number. The letter [K] would identify your vehicle as 19MY.

Unfortunately you will not be able to receive OTA updates if your vehicle is 18MY or below.

I am concerned to hear of your experience with your retailer, should you wish for me to investigate this further then please may i request that you send me a PM with the following information:

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan,

Thanks for contacting me.

Don't worry about my Dealer - they are fine and working through the lack of information and training they are provided with by Jaguar on the I-Pace. It is a new owner-philosophy that Jaguar itself has to understand. We are all very keen to know everything about our cars, perhaps more so than previous type of Jaguar owners (though I have owned several in my time) - not sure if I am putting this across correctly, but I am sure other I-Pace owners know what I mean.

Your statement -

"Unfortunately you will not be able to receive OTA updates if your vehicle is 18MY or below."

This could be VERY concerning for some owners who will now be checking the MY of their I-Pace. Does this statement mean that cars that are designated 18MY and below will NEVER get OTA Updates?

Fortunately for me, mine has "K" in the 10th character.

My car is booked in for a second attempt at a software update on 13th January for a couple of days to ensure it gets done correctly. This is clearly costing my Dealer time and the loan of a car while they do it. Perhaps you could inform us all what are the latest software version numbers and what issues are resolved in the update (assuming this is not a secret)? I can then let them know what I expect to see when the car is returned to me.

Look forward to your reply.

Chewy

#32 ·
Anyway they have to update our MY19 cars because it's not new things but fix for things that was supposed to work (incontrol, pollution filters. Reverse light, OTA, 100kw charge ...). So it's like u have mechanical default. So they have to fix it.

#33 ·
Chewy said:
CRC@Jaguar said:
Chewy said:

Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your post.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan,

Don't worry about my Dealer - they are fine and working through the lack of information and training they are provided with by Jaguar on the I-Pace. It is a new owner-philosophy that Jaguar itself has to understand. We are all very keen to know everything about our cars, perhaps more so than previous type of Jaguar owners (though I have owned several in my time) - not sure if I am putting this across correctly, but I am sure other I-Pace owners know what I mean.

Your statement -

"Unfortunately you will not be able to receive OTA updates if your vehicle is 18MY or below."

This could be VERY concerning for some owners who will now be checking the MY of their I-Pace. Does this statement mean that cars that are designated 18MY and below will NEVER get OTA Updates?

My car is booked in for a second attempt at a software update on 13th January for a couple of days to ensure it gets done correctly. This is clearly costing my Dealer time and the loan of a car while they do it. Perhaps you could inform us all what are the latest software version numbers and what issues are resolved in the update (assuming this is not a secret)? I can then let them know what I expect to see when the car is returned to me.

Chewy
Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your response.

After further investigation i can confirm the following correspondence.

I-PACE has been manufactured from the outset with hardware to enable software over the air updates. For vehicles manufactured before the end of October, an update to your vehicle, delivered by our service department, is required to activate this capability.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#34 ·
Thank you for the clarification Dan. My question would then be, knowing the various reported glitches in the software that have been reported widely on this forum and to dealers, when can we start to see these OTA updates appear.

All I have read so far are owners reporting problems to the dealers and then having to have these updates applied by the dealership. Doesn't seem very over OTA to me.

#35 ·
Chewy said:
I read in the manual that the map updates can also be done over Wi-Fi.

#36 ·
Baikar said:
Chewy said:
I read in the manual that the map updates can also be done over Wi-Fi.
Nope.

#38 ·
The only way to update your map is to purchase a 32GB USB memory stick, go to the website, download an application. Then it will copy the maps to the USB stick - this will take an age as the download is about 29GB. You then plug the USB stick into one of the USB ports under the armrest and wait for about 30 mins while it updates your maps.

For what ever reason, you have to download maps for the whole of Europe and Russia.

Basically a farce. My Tesla updated itself using the home WiFi connection with no problems.

I prefer my I-Pace to the Tesla, but Jaguar has a steep learning curve to get through to provide the sort of service that owners of premium electric cars expect.

#39 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Chewy said:
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your post.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan,

Your statement -

Chewy
Good Morning Chewy

Thank you for your response.

After further investigation i can confirm the following correspondence.

I-PACE has been manufactured from the outset with hardware to enable software over the air updates. For vehicles manufactured before the end of October, an update to your vehicle, delivered by our service department, is required to activate this capability.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Another non-answer.

I have sent you my contact details by PM. You have not called me or PM back.

Can you please let me know what the latest versions of the software are for the car so that I can be sure when the dealer returns it to me that everything is as should be. Can you also let me know what issues have been fixed and features added, again assuming that this is not a secret.

I need to know before 13th Feb as the car goes in then for the update for the second attempt.

#40 ·
Chewy said:
The only way to update your map is to purchase a 32GB USB memory stick, go to the website, download an application. Then it will copy the maps to the USB stick - this will take an age as the download is about 29GB. You then plug the USB stick into one of the USB ports under the armrest and wait for about 30 mins while it updates your maps.

For what ever reason, you have to download maps for the whole of Europe and Russia.

Basically a farce. My Tesla updated itself using the home WiFi connection with no problems.

I prefer my I-Pace to the Tesla, but Jaguar has a steep learning curve to get through to provide the sort of service that owners of premium electric cars expect.
Hi Chewy

My car told me there was a map update available. I went to the website address it gave on the screen. When I visit that and sign in I have to add my car but then that's it. No where to select a download. When I click on the maps tab it tells me to add a car. I then go around and around in circles. What website did you download from?

#42 ·
Go to Jaguar.here.com

You will need to have, or set up, an account.

Login.

Click on "Maps and Services". Enter "NO" to the three options on the small dialogue that appears if it does, unless you want to be hounded.

You will then come to a page that lets you download maps.

Click on the relevant "GET LATEST VERSION" button for your region.

It will ask to download and setup up the "download manager". After it has completed the installation of the "download manager" nothing appears to happen and you will have a job locating the program after it is installed.

What you need to do is click the "GET LATEST VERSION" button again and this time it will fire up the download manager. You will need to put a clean, preferably formatted, 32GB USB memory stick into your PC and let it download the files to that stick. Do not remove the memory stick until the transfer is complete, this may take a considerable time depending upon your internet speed.

Once you have it, you need to go to your car and put it into either of the USB ports in the arm rest cubby hole, not the ones under the Climate Control Knobs as these are for power only.

Then turn on your car. After a short period of time it should detect the USB stick and prompt you to carry out the update. Just follow the onscreen instructions. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR CAR DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS.

You can drive while it updates as it will take about 40 mins, but you will lose SatNav capability during the update. Remember NOT to get out of your car as this will turn it off (there is a way around this by putting the car into neutral and manually activating the park brake), but best to be sure.

Once the update is complete you can remove the USB memory stick. On completion, the SatNav will reboot and you should be fine.

#46 ·
I think the problem is that the files downloaded constitute nearly 30GB of data.

They use a download manager to cope with lost connections. It remembers how much it has downloaded so it does not have to start again when reconnecting.

In addition to that I believe they encode the files somehow so you can only use them on your car.

#47 ·
Well, I got a reply from Jaguar about the software versions for my car so I can ensure the dealer puts the correct version on when doing the update tomorrow, unlike the last time when they put on the same old software that I already have....

"The information you require is currently available on Topix, which is available to customers as part of a subscription service.

Unfortunately without a subscription to this service I am unable to share the details of the bulletin that is in line with your latest software update."

So I have to pay money to Jaguar to find out what software should be running in my car. This is worse than a joke!!!!

I am seriously considering moving the car on now, I really cannot he bothered with them if this is how they think customers should be treated.

G
#48 ·
Chewy said:
Well, I got a reply from Jaguar about the software versions for my car.....

"The information you require is currently available on Topix, which is available to customers as part of a subscription service.

Unfortunately without a subscription to this service I am unable to share the details of the bulletin that is in line with your latest software update."

So I have to pay money to Jaguar to find out what software should be running in my car. This is worse than a joke!!!!

I am seriously considering moving the car on now, I really cannot he bothered with them if this is how they think customers should be treated.
From the answer you've been given they don't appear to be updating the Online Service History with that information. I would have thought that should be the obvious place for it. You need that sort of information in the future if you sell it privately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.