BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
MarcusUK

BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

Post by MarcusUK » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am

<t>I’m getting my MY20 on 24th and it’s my first EV. I’ve had a Chargemaster wallbox fitted. That was an interesting time consuming experience for someone who doesn’t know his amps from his volts from him watts. <br/>
<br/>
So I’m going to get their card/App and I guess pay the £7.50 a month, although most of my charging will be done at home. I see motorway services are generally Ecotricity. I guess I need to register with them too? Anyone got any experience with Ecotricity?</t>
MY20 I-Pace due 24/4/19. Black, black privacy glass, black wheels, Mars red leather seats. Oxford UK 8-)

Baikar

Re: BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

Post by Baikar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am

Three words, avoid, avoid, avoid.

MarcusUK

Post by MarcusUK » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm

As good as that heh? How in that case do you charge up on a long motorway trip? Most service stations seem to have Ecotricity
MY20 I-Pace due 24/4/19. Black, black privacy glass, black wheels, Mars red leather seats. Oxford UK 8-)

SteveA

Post by SteveA » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Ecotricity chargers do seem to have issues for some although I usually manage to get a charge but avoid certain chargers which are either frequently out of service or drop out during a charge. You get to know which after over 3 years driving EV's.

Get the ZapMap App on your phone and you will see all the 50KW chargers if you filter on those. I mainly use Polar Plus on a monthly subscription of £7.85 and 10.8p per KWhr, charge activated by RDIF card. My other favourite is PodPoint which can be found at many Lidl stores (currently free), charge activated by Phone App. I also have a Charge Point Genie RDIF card but don't get to use that one much. For me Ecotricity tends to be for emergencies so I have the App ready if needed and I am an Ecotricity customer so get a cheap rate. I am finding that with the IPace long range, most charging is at home whereas my last car (BMWi3) I would frequently charge while out and about.
I Pace EV400 SE, Yulong white, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 03/2019
InControl: S19A_19.11.4-330884 || Telematics: Not sure as version not showing

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

MarcusUK wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am
<t>I’m getting my MY20 on 24th and it’s my first EV. I’ve had a Chargemaster wallbox fitted. That was an interesting time consuming experience for someone who doesn’t know his amps from his volts from him watts. <br/>
<br/>
So I’m going to get their card/App and I guess pay the £7.50 a month, although most of my charging will be done at home. I see motorway services are generally Ecotricity. I guess I need to register with them too? Anyone got any experience with Ecotricity?</t>
When Ecotricity works, they work well. When they are a little bit sick you can often get a free charge but depending on themcan be a bit risky. You must have a 'Plan B' in case the charger is a) U/S b) in use or c) ICE'd. I use them because they are generally right where I'm going.

It would be nice if Ecotricity were to get the hardware that their chargers use sorted. They are far too unreliable.
Only having one CCS charger at a Service area is not good and will only get worse going forward. In many cases, there is a bank of Tesla Superchargers mostly sitting idle.
Eventually we will need between 50-100 fast chargers(if not more) at every service area. That will take a lot of investment and I'm not sure if Ecotricity has the money to do it. The Grid power demands will be considerable even with say 2MWh of battery to back it up.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:30 pm

MarcusUK wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am
<br/>
Have used them plenty of times.
My preferred charger. Only one issue up north. They set it to free charge. Issue resolved.

ChargePoint and genie have been a 100% pain

Never got a charge started in less than 20 minutes.
I actively Plan routes away from them now. Shit.
2019 First Edition.
Photon Red

custom home screens magically duplicate or disappear :)

19a.19.11 : I wish I had kept 18D :(
Telematics 16.2
Updated BCM
Remote app works perfect now.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 pm

SammyD wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

It would be nice if Ecotricity were to get the hardware that their chargers use sorted. They are far too unreliable.
It would also be nice if when they did work they actually delivered 50kW rather than 38kW.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Chewy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 pm
SammyD wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

It would also be nice if when they did work they actually delivered 50kW rather than 38kW.
Yep. Think he best I got was 44kwh.
Like I said. For me they have been almost faultlesss
2019 First Edition.
Photon Red

custom home screens magically duplicate or disappear :)

19a.19.11 : I wish I had kept 18D :(
Telematics 16.2
Updated BCM
Remote app works perfect now.

MarcusUK

Post by MarcusUK » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone for all of that it’s a great help to a newcomer. Thanks

alex_haddock

Post by alex_haddock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 pm

I use Polar/Chargemaster whenever I can as the 10.8p makes paying the subscription well worthwhile to me (helps with no home charger having 2 x fast and 1 x rapid both less than a mile away). Tend to be fast and reliable but downside is normally just one rapid per site and in locations (hotels etc) that are very prone to being ICE’d. Where possible I plan for Instavolt as fallback, typically two per site, typically not as likely to be ICE’d and the 35p charge puts off the freeloaders and Hybrids a bit. Also reliable and fast. Ecotricity as last resort or non essential top up.
i-Pace First Edition, Santorini Black from 4th March ‘19.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”