Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Direct Line Insurance?

7K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Volkswarren 
#1 ·
Trying to sort out insurance at the moment - LV= is looking the cheapest @£500 and also includes flat battery recovery and cover for home charger/cables, not that I put too much value on either of those extras.

I was keen to also get a quote from Direct Line as I know they effectively include gap insurance for the first year for new cars (i.e. if your car gets written off in the first year, you get a brand new replacement) - sometimes I've found DL's quotes to be very competitive, other times they've been way off. However, I just couldn't get a quote - the website just kept crashing right at the end and saying it couldn't process my request (though it worked fine when I tried a different dummy vehicle). I tried several times, but same result every time.

Has anyone had any luck getting a quote through Direct Line? I guess I could phone them but that seems sooooo 20th century.

#2 ·
I managed to get a quote from Direct Line, but it wasn't particularly competitive at £750.

That's against a quote of £510 from LV and £445 from Aviva.

Insurance is a complex game though - so many variables.

#3 ·
Yeah, just got a quote from Direct Line over the phone and it was £800, or £930 with my no claims protected. I'll give Aviva a go but it's looking like LV might be best. It also looks like DL don't do their 1st year free gap insurance any more anyway which would have been my main reason for goind with them if prices were similar.

#7 ·
NightFox said:
Tried Aviva but they won't insure unless the car is garaged due to the value of the vehicle - unfortunately my garage is pretty much serving as a home gym these days.

I'll give Performance Direct a shot though, thanks
Yes, I was already with Aviva, but they wouldn't cover the I-Pace because it wasn't garaged at night. Went with LV in the end.

#8 ·
You could try Privilege as they are the posh end of Direct Line. I have been with them for years. When I rang about swapping my 328i estate for the I Pace, they said it would add £100 to the premium making in £520ish p.a. which seems reasonable for outer London. Car is parked on the drive as the garage is now a wood store! I asked about theft precautions and they said they did not rate it as a high theft risk with EVs (presumably no bloody use in Nigeria!)

#9 ·
I went with LV, they came out best when I was shopping around a few months ago.

#10 ·
Churchill were cheapest for us at £362 and automatically cover the car new for old for the first 12 months.

#11 ·
ChrisMc said:
I went with LV, they came out best when I was shopping around a few months ago.
Really pleased with the posts on this topic. I am with LV now on my F Pace. They were the cheapest last November.
When I get my reg number for the I Pace I'll swap the insurance. I was a bit worried it might be extortionate but you've put my mind at rest.
Thanks guys.

#12 ·
Some how I paid £220 in January for protected no claims with Admiral Direct. Their website couldn't quote the model at the time but their phone service was easy and helpful. 50 year old male with wife named - only about 8K per year though.

#13 ·
maldives9 said:
Some how I paid £220 in January for protected no claims with Admiral Direct. Their website couldn't quote the model at the time but their phone service was easy and helpful. 50 year old male with wife named - only about 8K per year though.
Wow, that's good! My situation is pretty much the same as yours - 50, clean license, wife included, full protected no claims, low mileage. I'd become accustomed to the fact that practically any car I got an insurance quote for was always about £300 with a choice of insurers so hadn't really put any thought into the cost of it when I did the I-Pace sums, so I was a bit surprised/disappointed when then cheapest I could get was around £500 with LV, everyone else wanting well upwards of £700.

#14 ·
It's worth checking the fine print of the motor insurance new-for-old cover. If you're buying the car on a PCP, you might well find that the finance provider doesn't accept a replacement vehicle and will want a cash settlement instead. You'd need then to check with your motor insurer what that would be - unfortunately a growing number of motor insurers will only pay out to market value, which means you don't have GAP cover in year 1 when you thought you did. Same is true if a replacement vehicle is unavailable (e.g. if it's an obsolete model or if a factory build would take longer than you're prepared to wait) - what's the cash alternative?

Even if everything looks OK, there are very few GAP providers who will offer policies for vehicles owned for more than 3 or 6 months (and those that do use unrated off-shore underwriters in Gibraltar or Denmark, five of which have gone bust since 2016), so you might find yourself unable to obtain GAP for subsequent years - most providers now only offer immediate-start policies.

Huge savings on GAP insurance can be made by shopping around online (rather than buying from dealers) but read the small print and check the underwriting carefully.

#15 ·
Graculus said:
It's worth checking the fine print of the motor insurance new-for-old cover. If you're buying the car on a PCP, you might well find that the finance provider doesn't accept a replacement vehicle and will want a cash settlement instead. You'd need then to check with your motor insurer what that would be - unfortunately a growing number of motor insurers will only pay out to market value, which means you don't have GAP cover in year 1 when you thought you did. Same is true if a replacement vehicle is unavailable (e.g. if it's an obsolete model or if a factory build would take longer than you're prepared to wait) - what's the cash alternative?

Even if everything looks OK, there are very few GAP providers who will offer policies for vehicles owned for more than 3 or 6 months (and those that do use unrated off-shore underwriters in Gibraltar or Denmark, five of which have gone bust since 2016), so you might find yourself unable to obtain GAP for subsequent years - most providers now only offer immediate-start policies.

Huge savings on GAP insurance can be made by shopping around online (rather than buying from dealers) but read the small print and check the underwriting carefully.
Yep, good points. My 3-month old Freelander 2 got written off in the floods in 2007. Direct Line were happy to replace it with a new one, but I wanted the same colour which had been a limited edition launch colour and DL could no longer source that, though my local LR dealer had one within their own network. DL said they'd give me the cash instead, but this was only the trade price (i.e. what they would have paid for my replacement car), which was several thousand below retail price, even with a good discount. Luckily my dealer was fantastic and took the view that they'd already had their profit out of me, so sold me the replacement at their cost price.

Nice username by the way ;)

#16 ·
Just gone with LV= in the end, after what seems like weeks and weeks of comparing quotes.

Interesting that the policy documents show my engine capacity as 125 litre! vrrRRROOOMMMM!!!!!!!

I hadn't spotted that the windscreen excess was £190 though :shock:

#17 ·
I'm struggling to find anything below £611, though my use includes full business use and it's a company lease. Not sure if any of you guys use it for business?

Best so far for me is Privilege, through ComparetheMarket. Weirdly, Privilege won't insure me on their website or if I call them... Go figure.

#18 ·
I have been with DirectLine for over 15 years and have always found them competitive. I acquired my i-pace part way through my insurance year, so I stayed with DirectLine, even though it seemed a little expensive. My renewal this year was just under £600 so I did some direct comparisons.

Jaguar Insurance wouldn't give me a quote as my i-pace is not kept in a locked garage overnight. - How many people do this ?!!

Performancce Direct mentioned in this thread was over £700.

LV were less than £400.

Risk factors apart from the i-pace itself are clearly unique to individual circumstances, but my comparisons were all like for like for me.

So this reinforces earlier comments that LV are competitive.

#21 ·
direct Line wanted over £500 extra over my LR disco 4 to cover me for the remainder of my policy 3 months in, would of made my yearly policy with them over £1200
19yrs protected no claims though I did have an accident 4.5 years ago so thats still a mark against me.
Aviva were not the cheapest but the best package. circa £800

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.