iPace ordered but now have Tesla doubts...

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
oop north

Re: iPace ordered but now have Tesla doubts...

Post by oop north » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am

scapegoat wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm
https://insideevs.com/reviews/359473/vi ... -pace/amp/

Interesting comparison that seems to indicate the Tesla pips the Jaguar - but that both are great cars.

Test drive booked for Wednesday and will make decision then.
Not sure what to advise, exactly, but I didn’t like the iPace when I had a standard test drive (10 miles down the motorway and back). I was sold on it when I did the jaguar art of performance event at oulton park. I doubt that’s possible in your drive but do have a bit of a go on some twisty roads if at all possible. That will give you a better flavour of the jag than a bit of motorway
it’s here! Arrived 29.04.19, HSE, MY20, Caesium Blue, tan interior, black bits

emgf

Post by emgf » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm

oop north wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am
scapegoat wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm
https://insideevs.com/reviews/359473/vi ... -pace/amp/

Interesting comparison that seems to indicate the Tesla pips the Jaguar - but that both are great cars.

Test drive booked for Wednesday and will make decision then.
Not sure what to advise, exactly, but I didn’t like the iPace when I had a standard test drive (10 miles down the motorway and back). I was sold on it when I did the jaguar art of performance event at oulton park. I doubt that’s possible in your drive but do have a bit of a go on some twisty roads if at all possible. That will give you a better flavour of the jag than a bit of motorway
I agree 100% : I was convinced as well by attending JLR art of performance on a race track and the best I-Pace experience happens on twisty roads
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018 , S19A_19.20 , 16.2

Paulsouthport

Post by Paulsouthport » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Me too. I've driven several Model S in the past. My first accompanied 1 hour i-pace test drive didn't convince me. The subsequent "take it for the weekend" test drive is what sold it to me above the Tesla.

scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Appreciate the discussion and comments.

It’s a really tough decision - there are factors both ways at the moment (pre-test drive for the Model
3).

I only had the standard accompanied Jaguar drive, but it was enough to get me to order it and be as excited as I have ever been about a new car.

That excitement is mainly linked to the transition to EV, but I loved the looks, the tech was a step forward for me (Skoda and Mini currently), and performance is amazing (quicker than a previous Porsche I owned).

The downsides were minor and happy to ignore - technology being laggy; cost (more than I wanted to spend but worth it for a decent premium family EV) and the charging infrastructure not being quite there (good enough for my lifestyle).

Tesla offers better tech, better performance, better (quotes at least) range, SOTA that works, lower costs, and bigger storage (although awkward to use with small opening).

On paper the Tesla seems to be the perfect choice...but I find myself not fully convinced. I almost hope that the test drive puts me off.

scm

Post by scm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:07 pm

scapegoat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 pm
On paper the Tesla seems to be the perfect choice...but I find myself not fully convinced.
But you don't want a car to drive on paper? ;)

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 pm

if you read the Tesla forum all users love driving it.
if you read the iPace forum all users love driving it.

I suspect that some/much? of that is transition from ICE to EV, its such a joy to drive EV compared to ICE. And its 2-3P a mile for "juice" :)

I haven't been in an iPace, but I'm happy to assume it is the better handling car etc. for drivers who drive :)
Jag buyers like the cabin, build quality etc.
Tesla buyers either like the minimalist design, or don't care enough to reject it.

All that said: I rarely "drive". Mostly I trog along motorways at 70, except when traffic / roadsworks gets in my way. I also spend a fair amount of time in bumper-to-bump nudging towards the next junction/rounadabout/etc

For that I find AutoPilot works extremely well - I arrive far more refreshed than ever I did in previous cars. If your driving is mostly "tedium" like mine then I recommend you consider any difference between the two car's abilities in that arena.

Unless you will be frequently out of range then the Range issue is a red herring (provided you have off road parking and will install a wall charger). You'll leave home with a full tank, so unless you are going a long way just "drive it"

The newness of Model-3 will have some issues:

Limited number of insurers offering policies (be careful you aren't quoted for a LHD import as that won't be legal, and surprisingly? the pukka RHD quotes are higher!) Summary: "not much choice"

Spare parts - Tesla Achilles heel at the best of time, but whilst they are fulfilling the backorders for Model-3 I doubt there will be much in the way of Loan vehicles for anyone that needs service (well ... unless they loan you a P100DL perhaps? :)

Also there are differences in Spec between SR+ and LR/P- - things like Spotify and maps having satellite view are not available in SR+ - all part of the Tesla Upsell to encourage buyers to take the next-model-up which has more Software-only profit. Something to watch out for if you were thinking of a bottom-end model. (Basic Long Range model not yet available, so for like-for-like range you would currently have to take a Performance Model, which will carry an insurance uplift too (no idea how that would compare with iPace - might be best to compare quotes for both)

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am

TeslaDriver wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 pm

I haven't been in an iPace, but I'm happy to assume it is the better handling car etc. for drivers who drive :)
The differentials in each of the front and rear drives providing Torque Vectoring to each wheel is something that improves "spirited" driving and road holding.Tesla do not offer this.

The subframe and entire floor structure are made from steel in the tm3, this was done to reduce cost. The I-Pace uses Jaguar's advanced aluminium technology throughout.
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, H228

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 am

Chewy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am
The differentials in each of the front and rear drives providing Torque Vectoring to each wheel is something that improves "spirited" driving and road holding.Tesla do not offer this.
Thanks. Back when EVs were only on a drawing board I assumed they would be one-motor-per-wheel ... and all sorts of opportunities for sorting me out when i made a muddle in a bend on black ice :)
The subframe and entire floor structure are made from steel in the tm3, this was done to reduce cost. The I-Pace uses Jaguar's advanced aluminium technology throughout.
Layman's question: what's the difference (other than weight), is there some stiffness benefit or something like that?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:54 am

The Model 3 is certainly the sportier drive. It's a low slung saloon while the I-Pace is a crossover. The I-Pace is more comfortable around town thanks to the great air suspension but I find the M3, especially the Performance version (which is still cheaper than the base I-Pace), more fun to drive.

The use of aluminum is primarily a weight saving measure.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy | I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: N/A | InControl: S19A_19.11.4-330884

m0deller

Post by m0deller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Chewy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am
TeslaDriver wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 pm

The M3 has track mode, which uses braking to close the open diff - transferring torque to individual wheels. This is pretty standard these days on performance cars which don't have LSDs. I thought the I-pace did the same?

The M3 is ~1800kg .. so still much lighter than the I-pace. Unfortunately JLR produce heavy cars despite using aluminium , f-type being another example say vs a 911.

I-pace is a fab car which I covet :-)

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”