Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

EV Depreciation after 100,000 miles

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  anorak 
#1 ·
https://insideevs.com/news/424602/which-electric-cars-depreciate-less-uk/

Vanarama, a British leasing company, decided to check ten popular EVs in the UK and measured their depreciation with the AutoTrader car valuation tool.
The I-pace does great initially but as the mileage go up the I-pace depreciation accelerates

The second best EV in terms of value retention is the Jaguar I-Pace, as you can see above. It has a depreciation of 14 percent after 5,000 miles. Unluckily for the British brand, Vanarama decided to recheck the numbers after 100,000 mi.

While the other EVs seemed to keep a pace, the I-Pace had a noticeable drop after 20,000 mi and kept losing value faster than the other EVs, which explains why it went from second place to ninth after 100,000 mi. It was the worst performance among all the electric cars evaluated.

#2 ·
Read the article and wonder how they came up with these numbers.
There are NO I-Paces yet AFAIK with a 100.000 miles driven, so how would they now. Same goes for cars like the Etron etc.

The simple fact that the VW E-Up scores highly make me doubt the numbers very much. The E-Up would be about the last type of EV a serious buyer would get. Low performance, short range make it a 'car' with very limited uses.

Only time will tell. For now, I am not worried about the resale value of my I-Pace. Would not be surprised if the nex I-Pace, or whatever Jaguar will call it, will be my next EV.

#4 ·
Depreciation at the top of the price range is always high and reflects the running cost and repairs, as well as model desirability. If the IPace turns out to be long term reliable and replacement aftermarket batteries are available they should be no worse than other brands. There may well be many less cars on the road in 15 yrs time or cars may not be aspirational as they are now, we just don't know.

#5 ·
All their figures are a bit pie in the sky I think.

They value a £64k base I-Pace at around £55k with 10,000 miles. This is about £10k too high (check the for sale prices on Autotrader itself).

And given that any car, especially an EV, with 100,000 miles on it is likely to be 5 - 10 years old I very much doubt that it would still be worth over 50% of its list price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.