Hope my I Pace FE is reliable.

New to the Jaguar I-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
bazzaqpc

Hope my I Pace FE is reliable.

Post by bazzaqpc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

Just on one year ago, I took delivery of a new Mercedes AMG E 63 S Premium; I was so excited having waited 12 weeks for the car to arrive.
I loved the car, it was fantastic to drive and at night with the matrix headlights it was like a trip to the theatre, fantastic to watch and observe the lighting patterns, I really thought it was the best car I had ever owned and that the move from Jaguar to Mercedes was a good move, I only switched because I’d had all the nice Jags, XF, XFR, F type R and F type SVR and there was no model that appealed to me, I wanted a XE project 8 till I found out it was LH drive and basically a track car.
If you can remember last summer in the UK was great, no rain for weeks, when it did rain and I was in the Mercedes (I had owned the car for 8 weeks at this point) it had a major issue, the car said collision avoidance activated or words to that effect, tightened up the seat belts and applied the brakes.
Thinking it was a one off; I ignored it, but a couple of days later it did it again when it rained.
After this second event I returned the car to the dealer, I was told it did say in the handbook that rain can affect the sensors, I said this was a material fact of owning the car and I should have been told “that the car could go into an emergency stop situation because of rain on the sensors”, before I agreed to purchase the vehicle, I also asked where in the handbook this was outlined, the dealer couldn’t find it.
Finally the dealer agreed there was an issue and on 14th July last year had the car in to rectify the issue.
After Mercedes had been in possession of my car for 4 weeks, I advised the dealership that if the car wasn’t rectified soon I would reject it; they said “I couldn’t as I had to let them try and repair it”.
At the end of September still no car; at this point the car had been with the dealership for longer than it had been with me, so I wrote to them rejecting the vehicle, during October and November there was a lot of communication backwards and forwards between us, by this time I had already ordered my I Pace First Edition for delivery on 1st March 2019, at the beginning of December I had a call from the dealer telling me the car was fixed, they asked what did I want to do, I said have a full refund, this they agreed to and did.
Throughout this whole saga, I believe Mercedes acted well within acceptable standards, I was never without a loan car and they acted professionally to the end, I would have no issue going back to Mercedes.
Having read the comments on the I Pace forum, I am not looking forward to my new car.
I get my car in two weeks, it appears that Jaguar customer service don’t want to pass on any info regarding S/W updates, my dealer said OTA updates don’t work and won’t till mid-year at the earliest.
Well, the forum member known as “Chewy” has obviously had enough and I can fully understand his posts and frustration with JLR, I just hope mine works without issues because if it doesn`t I am now well versed on “Lemon Laws” and the grounds for vehicle rejection.
With all the issues being reported on the Forum, I wonder if the car was released too early to give Jaguar a lead over the Germans.
I have already specked an E Tron with my Audi dealer, just in case, I have a test drive in 5 weeks and the Audi salesman said I could charge my I Pace on their 150Kw charger while I`m on my test drive, I do hope the I Pace 100Kw charging is working by then.
I hope my next post says something like “Had my I Pace on the 1st March, just coming up to 6000 miles, no issues, fantastic” – but somehow I don’t think so.
I Pace HSE Indus Silver MY20, 20" Wheels,Red Leather,AdSR, Active Air, Adaptive Dynamics, HUD,Cabin Air Ionisation & other bits and bobs, based in the Midlands B77, UK.

Tophe74

Re: Hope my I Pace FE is reliable.

Post by Tophe74 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 am

Just had minor issues with my i-pace FE (no OTA, suspension knock...) But didn't go to dealer to fix it yet.
So untill now after 4000 miles the car still great. No major complain and no problem under heavy rain :)
This is the best car I ever had (BMW and Audi before).
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am

Thank you so much for your reply, I do hope mine is as good as yours.I think my experience last year with Mercedes has left me a little non trusting of car manufacturers.
I Pace HSE Indus Silver MY20, 20" Wheels,Red Leather,AdSR, Active Air, Adaptive Dynamics, HUD,Cabin Air Ionisation & other bits and bobs, based in the Midlands B77, UK.

nipri

Post by nipri » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Dear Bazzaqpc,
I have an FE Photon Red & am mightily pleased with it. Have done almost 5500miles & been very lucky with hardly any issues.
I feel in the next few weeks OTA & timed charging issues will be solved. I too had deposit for an e-tron but truth be told found the design far too common & boring.
The comments & looks get for the I Pace after 5 months of owning is still mind boggling. Just as good as an i8 looks!
No doubt you will enjoy the I Pace far more than the Audi in my humble opinion.
Best of luck in your final choice.
Warm regards,
FE Photon Red 20" Wheels, Light Oyster since 09/18.
My new Love! ;)

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, I think my problem is I have lost all faith in the motor industry, my wife had a new Nissan Leaf last November, She wanted auto drive away door locking enabled, Nissan said because the car couldn't be opened in a accident it was now illegal, so I bought Leaf spy for OS and a Bluetooth ODBii connector, went to the maintenance screen and there it was, Go from park to drive it locks the doors, go from drive to park, it unlocks the doors - perfect.

funkwhiz

Post by funkwhiz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 pm

On a forum like this it is easy to get a bad impression because of early adapters try everything and may report them as "faulty features".

In reality however, I received my car without physical issues, and the experience so far has been great. A few minor issues like auto high bean which doesn't work as I think it should (so switched it manual - no big deal), timed charging is buggy (fix will be on the way), 100kw charging (well 20% more effiecient is a nice to have but cannot be a showstopper) and configurable state of charge limit to e.g. 80% (fix will be on the way).

To me nice to have features in a very good built quality car.
First Edition | Ordered 26-07-2018 | Delivered 14-01-2019

McRat

Post by McRat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm

If I remember my timeline correctly:

This being mid-February 2019, at this point the I-Pace is over a year ahead of the Audi. IIRC, Jaguar had logged over a million miles a year ago, and had allowed the press to drive them earlier than March 6, 2018. Last summer JLR had over 2 million miles on over 200 test cars, and let the press beat the snot out of them. Up/down steep mountain dirt roads, through streams, around racetracks, etc.

The prototype I-Paces were on the road so early, that public 100+ kW CCS's were not released yet. No word if the retail Audi will accept a public ABB 350 yet.

I received my I-Pace in late Nov 2018, a little behind schedule, but there were already I-Paces in the wild in public hands. In fact, I drove my first I-Pace about a month before I took delivery. Since then I've put over 3,000 miles, including a day of drag racing and a day of autocross. I have went through water over 12" deep in the standard setting, past stalled cars with no water intrusion. I drive it like I would a Corvette when I get the chance. I tested the DCFC speed at an ABB 350 charger within a week of when they were released for public use. 84kW was most likely the peak, it averaged 72kW. I expect that to improve, but I doubt I'll be doing much DCFC charging. It's just not how I use sedans. If I want to go 250 miles+ I take a car that I can go 400+ miles in at 85-95 mph in all conditions. We have one. I don't want to stop at a specific place to recharge or add gasoline. I'll stop where I want to, not where the EV infrastructure wants me to.

There have been some bugs, but nothing that kept me from enjoying my car. There still are some bugs, but this comes standard with nearly all Year One cars. I knew this going into it. All the bugs I've observed have been software related.

But if you are worried, I know when I ordered my car in June 2018, my deposit was fully refundable.

I am very happy with my purchase and it puts a grin on my face every time I get to play with it, and it relaxes me when I'm stuck in traffic. I love this car. If it were not electric, I'd still love it, but being electric is just icing on the cake. I wake up to a 'full tank' each morning, no warmup necessary, you can preheat it in an enclosed garage, when you put the spurs to it, it doesn't attract unwanted attention like my Vettes and Cadillacs do. And it's a Swiss Army Knife of cars. Small enough to be nimble when parking or congested roads, big enough so I don't have to apologize to people who sit in the back. It handles like a performance sedan without the smallish back seats. It has a big cargo area for Costco runs or customer parts without the length other cars have. It fits in on a formal occasion, a track day, or an adventure down dirt roads without looking like a Big Box With Tires.

If you decide to get the electro-cat, I hope you have a excellent luck with it. But be aware, it bears repeating, this is a Year One car. At least this time, the clutch didn't stick to the floor and require a tow truck like my ZR1 did.
2019 I-Pace FE
2019 & 2017 Chevrolet Volts
24.2 kW self-installed 480v 3-ph solar array

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:24 pm

It is great to hear positive feedback about the I Pace, you sound like my kind of driver, I don't care about the range, I`m looking forward to thrashing the C--- out of it and hopefully flatten the battery in 140 miles, I have a Aston Martin DB9GT V12 540 BHP I think its funny that its just two years old done 4509 miles and needs two new back tyre and averages 11 MPG fantastic, the Mercedes I refer to earlier 4 L 612 BHP, I had it for 8 weeks done 2504 miles in it and managed to get the average MPG down to 14 to the gallon, I love fast cars and all motor sport F1,FE,BTCC and motorbikes of course. To me cars should be great fun, I have had a I Pace on loan for a day and yes I loved it, was nowhere near as fast as the Mercedes but a lot faster than the Aston and being rear wheel drive the Aston is only usable on bone dry roads, well two weeks tomorrow I will have it, after the positive comments I have had to my concerns I`m starting to look forward to it. Thank you all.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm

bazzaqpc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am
Having read the comments on the I Pace forum, I am not looking forward to my new car.
I get my car in two weeks, it appears that Jaguar customer service don’t want to pass on any info regarding S/W updates, my dealer said OTA updates don’t work and won’t till mid-year at the earliest.
Well, the forum member known as “Chewy” has obviously had enough and I can fully understand his posts and frustration with JLR, I just hope mine works without issues because if it doesn`t I am now well versed on “Lemon Laws” and the grounds for vehicle rejection.
Please don’t read too much into my rants. I know Jaguar monitor the site and it can be a useful place to let off steam, while getting noticed by them.

It has to be said that Jaguar are way behind Tesla when handling software issues with the car. The OTA has definitely not worked on my car. The dealer probably has no idea about electric cars and clearly did not understand that the three customer facing software modules have free upgrade and bug fixes as part of the deal when buying the car, they have been made aware of this now.

The car itself is stunning. The performance and handling are as good as a lot of “high performance” ICE cars that I have driven. The instant torque is something you get used to. When I get back into my 3.6 V8 Range Rover it is rather disconcerting to put your foot down in the expectation of carrying out an overtake, only for the car to think about it, drop a gear, make a lot of noise as the revs pick up, then decide to actually accelerate.

Hopefully you won’t be disappointed and will enjoy your I-Pace.
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, H228

Ipacelate

Post by Ipacelate » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi, I think we met at the Art of performance event in Cheltenham? Remember you saying about your Benz (I came from a CLS63).
Apart from delayed delivery of my Ipace, and useless JLR customer service related to this, I am really pleased with my car. Best car I've ever had, by miles. Big point is that it fits my lifestyle, and I had realistic expectations; I haven't had to charge away from home yet, and I think most frustrations seem to stem from this. In the UK, we were never going to be able to charge at 100kw until late 2019 at the earliest anyway, though i undrestand the frustration of our continental cousins, who have better infrastructure. Range issues are common to all electric cars, and homework should have alerted owners to this. You only have to go to tesla website to see examples of 150 miles range in current temps. Early days (less than a month), and at the risk of tempting fate, the car is faultless; quiet, fast, smooth,mega comfortable and an event. I've had it up to its sills in mud, and it goes prettty much anywhere a Discovery can. The I.T. is fine, if not groundbreaking, again homework would tell you this. Maybe only early cars were affected by the black screen thing? Other problems I've read about, i havent encountered- LED auto headlights work a treat, much better than my Benz, kick boot open thing works fine, if you read the instructions. I have no complaints at all, and suggest you get very excited and look forward to receiving your new toy!

Return to “Introductions”