Hello from Norfolk UK

New to the Jaguar I-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pi-Pace

Re: Hello from Norfolk UK

Post by Pi-Pace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:16 pm

holderone wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:34 am
If you go down the M11 along the M25 to Heathrow I recommend a good Polar 50kw charger just off the motorway. I think that would be around 110 miles into your journey.

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-A0 ... ndex.shtml
Perfect. I’ll check it out! Thanks

anorak

Post by anorak » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Pi-Pace wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 am
anorak wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm doing 150 miles on Monday for the first time in the i-Pace so I guess I'll find out!
Good stuff! Let me know how it goes please. :)
Will do.

And your Heathrow round trip distance of about 240 miles has been done before, by the mystical one they call Chewy, (in cooler weather I think) - well 220 miles with 11% left. But getting home with only 2 or 3% doesn't leave much of a safety buffer so as the man says, drive it like a Jag, charge and have a coffee break.

Pi-Pace

Post by Pi-Pace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

anorak wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 pm
Pi-Pace wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 am
anorak wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm doing 150 miles on Monday for the first time in the i-Pace so I guess I'll find out!
Good stuff! Let me know how it goes please. :)
Will do.

And your Heathrow round trip distance of about 240 miles has been done before, by the mystical one they call Chewy, (in cooler weather I think) - well 220 miles with 11% left. But getting home with only 2 or 3% doesn't leave much of a safety buffer so as the man says, drive it like a Jag, charge and have a coffee break.
:lol:

anorak

Post by anorak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:26 pm

So Pi-Pace, it was 145 miles in the end today, 72.5 each way.

Mostly dual carriageway at an indicated 68-70mph (65-66 actual speed) with about 10 miles of 30-40mph in towns.

From a full charge with 220 miles indicated range I used 34% going out and 32% coming back. 34% left when I got home with 68 miles remaining range showing. So for the 145 miles driven I used 152 miles of indicated range - not far out at all I'd say.

In fact 145 miles using 66% gives exactly 220 miles total range. No special eco driving techniques, climate set to 21 degrees and the odd enthusiastic overtake too.

Based on this 240 miles would definitely be doable if you kept to 65mph or below (if you could resist temptation).

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 pm

I can resist anything except temptation.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Pi-Pace, Hello from Suffolk UK!

As others have said, you could probably just about do the Heathrow trip without a charge, depending on where you are setting off from (Norfolk being a big place!). But without experience and hence confidence, don’t try it.

Best to wait to charge until you are well under 50%, as the charge rate slows up as SoC increases. And several chargers not far from the road around M25 to LHR, so that’s the sensible plan.

But if you end up well on your way home still needing a charge, and if you are heading up the A14/A11, be aware that the Ecotricity charger at BP Rowley Mile near Newmarket is on the SW-bound side only, no use when heading home. (On the plus side, it seems to be permanently on free vend, so if you need a break, why not stop there on the way South and get yourself enough to do the rest of the trip comfortably? But it will be a bit slow, as it only gives <40kW on a good day, and your battery will still be at 70%+.)

And there is a new multiple Instavolt installation in Thetford, 1.5 mi from A11. Haven’t used it, but Instavolt have a reputation for reliability and no-hassle charging, so a reasonably safe fall-back.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

Pi-Pace

Post by Pi-Pace » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Pi-Pace, Hello from Suffolk UK

And there is a new multiple Instavolt installation in Thetford, 1.5 mi from A11. Haven’t used it, but Instavolt have a reputation for reliability and no-hassle charging, so a reasonably safe fall-back.
Thanks for the tips Doug! Have resorted to my partner’s car for the trip to Newbury tomorrow and am still debating (with myself) whether or not to try Heathrow in April as I’ll be on my own for the return journey with no time or passenger anxieties!

Your notes about Rowley Mile and Thetford are really helpful thank you.

All the best
Nick

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Pi-Pace, Hello from Suffolk UK!

As others have said, you could probably just about do the Heathrow trip without a charge, depending on where you are setting off from (Norfolk being a big place!). But without experience and hence confidence, don’t try it.

Best to wait to charge until you are well under 50%, as the charge rate slows up as SoC increases. And several chargers not far from the road around M25 to LHR, so that’s the sensible plan.

But if you end up well on your way home still needing a charge, and if you are heading up the A14/A11, be aware that the Ecotricity charger at BP Rowley Mile near Newmarket is on the SW-bound side only, no use when heading home. (On the plus side, it seems to be permanently on free vend, so if you need a break, why not stop there on the way South and

get yourself enough to do the rest of the trip comfortably? But it will be a bit slow, as it only gives <40kW on a good day, and your battery will still be at 70%+.)

If that 40Kw is AC then only 7Kw charge will take an age remember
Farallon black HSE, 20” wheels , oyster interior

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Dtrawford wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 pm
DougTheMac wrote:
... the Ecotricity charger at BP Rowley Mile near Newmarket is on the SW-bound side only, no use when heading home. But it will be a bit slow, as it only gives <40kW on a good day,
If that 40Kw is AC then only 7Kw charge will take an age remember
No, it’s a CCS DC charger, nominally 50kW but seemed to only give 38kW when I tried it.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

Return to “Introductions”