I think I've just had it with this car...

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
sgtpeper

I think I've just had it with this car...

Post by sgtpeper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm usually just on the US forums but have been reading the UK board for a while. I'm posting this here as well as there are definitely a lot more owners abroad than there are local.

I think I'm just over owning this car...

I don't know if it's that I'm too short at 5'5 or my arms are too short but I can't find a really comfortable seating position. The steering wheel always seems to be in the wrong position. It makes my arms tired on longer drives. The back of the seat doesn't bend in the middle like my X5 Multi-Contour seats did so I don't feel like the backrest is ever in the correct position either.

I almost prefer driving the car in the off-road mode to sit a bit higher and worry less about steep inclines common in the Denver area. However, if I got above 50ish the car lowers and never raises back up. If this was more automated it would be a nice feature to make this feel more SUV - as it was advertised.

On top of that, I'm just sick of our lousy buggy tech. I've given up using the in-car nav or voice commands - even trying to call someone almost never works. I now use Carplay but even that seems to fail often for nav - especially when I have a client in the car. The signal is crap inside the car for some reason - as many have reported. Thus, the nav often can't keep up or change route while I'm driving.

The confusing profiles constantly reset on me and I lose my settings - yes I've tried setting them before a long journey and they still don't seem to stick all the time. Then the car asks me to log in all the time.

The air filtration system is horrible - I can smell the windshield wiper fluid each time I use it! I've never had that on any car that wasn't a convertible!

I know this shouldn't matter, but most people think this is the entry-level Jag instead of their flagship vehicle and it sort of drives me bananas.

I still maintain that if I had owned an X3 or similar SUV before this, I would find the luxury and refinement to be top notch. However, coming from a larger more polished SUV like the X5, this car is lacking all over the place.

Range anxiety has also become an issue for me. I get more than enough range for 3-4 days of work. However, this means I charge to 100% 2x per week which can't be great for the battery long term. I also think my range anxiety is worse because the GOM is always changing the game - I leave the house with 70 miles left and within 2 miles it tells me I have 50. Since I can't rely on this, I never know how much I really have left and I become anxious. Then I'm afraid to constantly charge the car as I don't want to hurt the battery - so it become s a vicious cycle!

I called my Jag dealer today and have asked them to figure out how much I would lose to just hand it back over to them. That's the point I'm at really.

The sad thing is I really want to love this car! On paper, it literally has everything I could want - fast, quiet, full of tech, eco-friendly, great handling etc. Unfortunately, it just doesn't fully deliver for me.

I'm really bummed out and have no idea what to even replace this car with. I'm at 1500 miles and I'm exhausted...

Thanks for reading...

Robert

Re: I think I've just had it with this car...

Post by Robert » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 pm

I am at 6500 miles and have reached a similar point. I love to drive the ipace and think its looks are amazing. But the range issues and buggy software make me hate it as well.

If only Jaguar would communicate to let us know that they are aware of the issues and are trying their best to resolve them. But in the 6 moths I have owned the car I have not had a single official communication from Jaguar. Only very slow replies from my dealer when I try to raise these issues with them.

For £80K is it too much to expect to listen to the radio on my way home from work?

Chriscanada

Post by Chriscanada » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Guys, I keep seeing Thia message about hurting the battery because charging it to 100% is bad for it, but understand that Jag does not allow us to charge to 100%. The battery charge is limited automatically to about 90% always. So trying to charge to 80% means actually charging to approximately 70%.

Thia car is designed to have a long battery life, Jag has been pretty conservative in it's battery management strategy. Really this is a self inflicted bad experience. Atop worrying, charge everyday, and drive the vehicle however you want.

Your other complaints are pretty fair. The biggest issue by far is really lack of comms from Jag. That part is jag self inflicting a poor customer experience for no reason.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Chriscanada wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Guys, I keep seeing Thia message about hurting the battery because charging it to 100% is bad for it, but understand that Jag does not allow us to charge to 100%. The battery charge is limited automatically to about 90% always. So trying to charge to 80% means actually charging to approximately 70%.

Thia car is designed to have a long battery life, Jag has been pretty conservative in it's battery management strategy. Really this is a self inflicted bad experience. Atop worrying, charge everyday, and drive the vehicle however you want.

Your other complaints are pretty fair. The biggest issue by far is really lack of comms from Jag. That part is jag self inflicting a poor customer experience for no reason.

Sorry, your numbers are ALL wrong.

However, the battery can handle charging from 10% to 100% indicated SoC for 1000 cycles on a 100kW charger with no harm to the battery. There will be natural range degradation, but not harm. Any battery range degradation will be significantly less if you stick to your home charger. As such, 200000 miles will not be an issue even charging to an indicated 100% SoC on every occasion. It is more than likely that the batteries will outlive the car and end up being in a household solar storage system once the car's life has expired.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up.

Chriscanada

Post by Chriscanada » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm

I don't think my numbers are significantly off. We are seeing about 81 kwhrs from a 90 kwhr pack, with almost all of that being allocated to the top end. That's 90% actual soc at 100% usable soc.

sgtpeper

Post by sgtpeper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 pm

The charging is probably the least of my worries. The miserable nav, voice controls and overall last gen tech is what bothers me the most.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Chriscanada wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm
I don't think my numbers are significantly off. We are seeing about 81 kwhrs from a 90 kwhr pack, with almost all of that being allocated to the top end. That's 90% actual soc at 100% usable soc.
I'll sort out the correct numbers and get them up tomorrow. I have posted them up previously on the forum somewhere.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:50 pm

sgtpeper wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 pm
The charging is probably the least of my worries. The miserable nav, voice controls and overall last gen tech is what bothers me the most.
You mean Jaguar's Next Generation Infotainment system is flawed and poorly designed? Surely not - said with tongue in cheek.

It is unlikely that Jaguar has the I-house capability nor manpower to sort out the problems with the software without asking for outside assistance. The Infotainment system was actually provided by Panasonic and modified by Jaguar. I did mention on an earlier post that a Ford Fiesta I had borrowed as a loan car while another was in for a service, had a far superior Infotainment system and EVERYTHING on it worked and no lag on anything.

sgtpeper

Post by sgtpeper » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:53 am

That's part of my issue - far lesser cars have systems that work properly. I just feel like the infotainment system is 1 or even 2 generations old. My 3-year-old X5 Diesel M-Sport had voice controls that actually worked and nav that took you to the right place every time.

On the US forums, I've posted a few of the Doug Demura videos with cars he's recently tested. The new BASE MB A-Class has an infotainment system to which you can talk in full sentences. The I-Pace doesn't even understand when I ask it to call my wife - by her full name or otherwise.

This car wants to be great but is held back by cost measures. Jaguar should have built a true halo car as Audi did with the R8. Instead, they have fallen short, missed the mark and put a lot of potential buyers off.

I still have no idea what I could even replace this car with and that frustrates me as well.

I drove the car to dinner with my wife tonight and just love the way it drives - acceleration and handling are fantastic. However, then on the drive home in the dark the electric windshield blinded me the entire way on the highway and I remembered why I hate it as well.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:12 am

Chriscanada wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm
Hi, have a read through this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1217

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”