Does anyone use the granny lead off an extension cable

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
DougTheMac

Re: Does anyone use the granny lead off an extension cable

Post by DougTheMac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm

TeslaDriver wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 am
Is there an issue of Efficiency charging at 13AMPs vs. dedicated 7kW wall charger?

unlike iPace Tesla has some parasitic usage

Perhaps also an issue if preconditioning the car whilst battery charging? I don't know how much of 13AMP that would be, but as a percentage it would be less on 7kW Natch!
A very good question. As you say, you’d expect the losses with the GC to be a higher %. If the battery is starting from cold in cold weather and has to be warmed to c30degC, that’s a lot of energy and I’d expect the efficiency to be very low at the start of the charge.

Has anyone monitored this? I haven’t even tried my GC yet.

And I don’t know where you get the idea that “unlike iPace Tesla has some parasitic usage”. I-Pace certainly will have charging losses. I think you are referring to the fact that I-Pace has a very low “vampire drain” - loss of %SoC with time when not used.

And BTW, it may have a 13A plug on it, but it is limited to 10A...
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm

And I don’t know where you get the idea that “unlike iPace Tesla has some parasitic usage”. I-Pace certainly will have charging losses. I think you are referring to the fact that I-Pace has a very low “vampire drain” - loss of %SoC with time when not used.
There is a recent video by TeslaBjorn who measured the Vampire Drain on his new Model 3.
The figures are startling if you have 'sentry mode' enabled when compared to the I-Pace
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 am

DougTheMac wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm
yes, "Vampire Drain" was what I meant to say, thanks.
SammyD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 pm
There is a recent video by TeslaBjorn who measured the Vampire Drain on his new Model 3.
The figures are startling if you have 'sentry mode' enabled when compared to the I-Pace
not sure I would have called it "startling", Bjorn measured Sentry Mode at 52 Watts.

Bjorn does have massive Vampire Drain, but I suspect that is as a result of using multiple 3rd party loggers - given that he YouTubes about such stuff.

The 3rd party loggers are a bit of a problem, the one I use takes some juggling to get it to let the car "sleep" at appropriate times, but then to NOT miss a trip that I make (i.e. if it is ignoring the car at that time).

If I use multiple loggers, and additionally if (say) my wife and I spark up a Phone APP multiple times (she uses the Tesla one, I use a 3rd party one, which i suspect compounds the problem), they can conflict enough that the car never sleeps, and then the vampire drain is "continuous and maximum"

And if I leave the car for several days, unplugged, I need to take special care to consider the vampire drain of such "convenience apps". Easiest is just to turn everything off ... but then I also don't have any data about the car either ... Proper 1st world problem :)

Tesla clearly uses more juice just sitting still than iPace, Jag has done a good job there. Model-3 seems to be better in that regard than MS / MX - Bjorn measured that "vampire drain with everything off" as 25W on his Model-3 (his test was a one-shot though, so might not be fully representative)

EdinburghEV

Post by EdinburghEV » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi - about to buy an extension cable for the granny charger from ToughLeads - how long is the cable on the Jaguar-supplied granny charger?

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”