Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions

Re: Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

Post by ****** » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 am

Yeah mine always says “connected waiting to charge” but doesn’t!

Post by ****** » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:26 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 pm
I have used this method several times now, including a time when the preferred charge period did not allow the car to get to 100%. It worked exactly the same way on that occasion. I’m not sure why mine is different to yours Baikar. Is it possible you set the departure time for the wrong date? I have almost done that myself once. Just trying to think of possible reasons here. On mine, the preferred charge end time has no noticeable impact, regardless of the car’s SOC.

I’ll be able to double check this again for you on Saturday night as I’m making an 80 mile trip on Saturday. That will deplete the battery to a point where it cannot charge to 100% in my 4 hour window. I’ll follow my usual routine and see what happens, but the previous time I was in this situation, it still worked as planned.
Ok I did test this out again last night. Charging was set up exactly as shown in my video (preferred charging 00:30 to 04:30, charger programmed to run 00:30 to 04:30, and departure time of 18:00 next day. Car was at 35% soc when plugged in at 3pm yesterday (9 and a half hours wait time). I checked multiple times up to 22:30 and car was still waiting to charge. Woke up and soc was 71% (36% gain) which means it did charge for exactly those 4 hours.

This is working consistently for me with no issues at all so far, regardless of how early I plug in or what the soc is when plugged in.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Just to add to the above preferred charging start times problems.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar same as GD, up until around the 23rd May all I had to do (Software versions S18D and 14.2) was set up a preferred charge time 00;30 to 04:30hrs (cheap rate times) on my Wallbox app and it worked every time. Dead simple!

23rd May, they updated the Wallbox app, do what I might, the timed/scheduled charging setting failed every time. About the 24th May, my car stopped talking to the In Control App, I continued to try a scheduled charge during the day and over night but nothing worked.

3rd June I had Jaguar Assist out to me and they updated the telematics software, no idea what version as it doesn't say, must be top secret now. So once that had been updated I thought I would try the wallbox scheduled charging again, results, set it 4 hours ahead, failed, set it 3 hours ahead, failed, set it 2 hours ahead, failed with this message showing in the app every time:- Connected waiting for car demand!

If I set a schedule charge time of a few minutes time and even up to nearly an hour, it worked every time, so GD's comment on his video re: car stops searching for a charge very quickly, seems to be spot on, but I am not totally sure that it is to do with the S18D to S19A software updates, because mine is still on S18D and it started going wrong following a Wallbox app update.

So, last night, I tried GD's video technique and set up times on my wallbox app, also set up precondition parameters and departure time, hoping my car would charge between 00.30am and 04:30 am on cheap rate, I plugged my cable in and went to bed.

This morning, success! the first time in over a week I had got it to charge over night and when schedule set up for longer than just a few minutes, added about 35% in the four hour time slot. I will try again tonight and hope it works again.

As I initially thought and still partly convinced some of this is to do with the app update, I have spoken to Wallbox support a number of times over the last few days, they don't have an answer, they cannot fathom it out at all, they told me to delete the app, re-install it, carry out a further firmware update etc etc, but so far to enable a scheduled charge like I used to do up to the 23rd May, nothing works.

Thank goodness GD's and Doug the Macs efforts have resolved this and I will continue using it as long as it works, but like I said, I am not convinced what this problem is and what caused it eg app update, Jaguar software update or whatever?

Thought I would pass this on in case anyone else ever has similar problems and to keep things up to date.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Post by ****** » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you. I know when mine stopped working it was a frustrating few days until I pinned down that technique in the video.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:29 pm
Glad to hear it worked for you. I know when mine stopped working it was a frustrating few days until I pinned down that technique in the video.
Yes it worked that's the main thing. Don't know what changed, but yes very frustrating when what you have been using without problems for a while suddenly stops.

My wife wonders why I have had my cable plugged in for days on end, while testing things :lol: she thinks I am trying to drain the national grid :D
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Post by ****** » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Good news at last! Timed charging seems to be fixed with the H228 update. By that, I mean that I can now control charging by just using the timer on the charger itself (smart charger obviously required). As an experiment, I plugged the car in yesterday at 6pm. The timer on the charger was set to come on at 00:30. Despite the car being plugged in for 6 and a half hours before the charger started, it charged with no problems. So the car now seems to keep looking for a charge pretty much indefinitely. I’ve tested again today, and this time plugged in at 5pm. Looks like life just got easier!

Glad it fixed something at least.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:19 pm
Good news at last! Timed charging seems to be fixed with the H228 update. By that, I mean that I can now control charging by just using the timer on the charger itself (smart charger obviously required). As an experiment, I plugged the car in yesterday at 6pm. The timer on the charger was set to come on at 00:30. Despite the car being plugged in for 6 and a half hours before the charger started, it charged with no problems. So the car now seems to keep looking for a charge pretty much indefinitely. I’ve tested again today, and this time plugged in at 5pm. Looks like life just got easier!

Glad it fixed something at least.
That's good to hear GD, maybe I will get mine updated now then, then let my friends at Wallbox know. Pity it doesn't help your Charge Place Scotland charging experience, I watched your video today, how frustrating.

Post by ****** » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:21 pm

ChrisMc wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm

That's good to hear GD, maybe I will get mine updated now then, then let my friends at Wallbox know. Pity it doesn't help your Charge Place Scotland charging experience, I watched your video today, how frustrating.
It’s early days but last night it worked great. Tonight it will have been plugged in for 8 hours before the charger starts. Hopefully it will charge again tonight. But so far it seems to be working.

And thanks. I was a bit disappointed but a part of me was expecting it not to work. Still, at least so far my “ABC” strategy seems to be working.

Ipace Ken

Post by Ipace Ken » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks Doug, great read and loved your latest vid on charging in Scotland. Unfortunately the charge problems extend deeper than just timed charges. On the 1st July new legislation made it a requirement for home charges to use off peak charging, and green electricity. Power companies can if required stop charging to EV,s at peak demand. I applaud the thinking, but here’s the rub, if the ipace stops receiving a charge for 15 minutes, then the car will not re start charging. I am part of the beta testing group for myenergi Zappi chargers, and have documented the problems with them. As it stands if you have solar PV and the daylight produces less than 1.4kw of power for more than 15 minutes the car refuses to re charge, this alone makes a mockery of legislation designed to manage the distribution and management of power in the network. I love the car, it’s the best car I’ve ever owned, and I expect teething problems after all it’s jaguars first all EV. 90 % of the niggles are just that “niggles” but timed and solar charging are what the future is all about. I wonder if JLR have said “ if they can afford an Ipace, then they won’t be worried about cheap off peak electric” I don’t need a 100% charge to use my car, in fact 25% charge per day is more than enough for my needs, so let me charge via solar or off peak tariffs. Rant over.
Ipace SE black

Post by ****** » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Ipace Ken wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Thanks Doug, great read and loved your latest vid on charging in Scotland. Unfortunately the charge problems extend deeper than just timed charges. On the 1st July new legislation made it a requirement for home charges to use off peak charging, and green electricity. Power companies can if required stop charging to EV,s at peak demand. I applaud the thinking, but here’s the rub, if the ipace stops receiving a charge for 15 minutes, then the car will not re start charging. I am part of the beta testing group for myenergi Zappi chargers, and have documented the problems with them. As it stands if you have solar PV and the daylight produces less than 1.4kw of power for more than 15 minutes the car refuses to re charge, this alone makes a mockery of legislation designed to manage the distribution and management of power in the network. I love the car, it’s the best car I’ve ever owned, and I expect teething problems after all it’s jaguars first all EV. 90 % of the niggles are just that “niggles” but timed and solar charging are what the future is all about. I wonder if JLR have said “ if they can afford an Ipace, then they won’t be worried about cheap off peak electric” I don’t need a 100% charge to use my car, in fact 25% charge per day is more than enough for my needs, so let me charge via solar or off peak tariffs. Rant over.
Thanks Ken. I actually think this may also fix your problem. The reason I first discovered the new behaviour is because my charger switched off at the end of my off peak. It came back on later on. I hadn’t used or unplugged the car and it started charging again. So after a long period of the charger being off, the car started charging again as soon as the charger started up again later in the day.

That was what caused me to investigate whether timed charging would now work. But maybe in response to the new legislation the car seems to keep looking for a charge all the time it’s plugged in. So power cuts and loss of sunlight should not cause any more problems after h228 is applied if my experience is anything to go by.