CCS Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
voisin

Re: CCS Charging

Post by voisin » Mon May 27, 2019 3:01 am

Chunky wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 pm
I have every intention of doing so. I am only making it known on the forum to warn others of the issue. It is something that JLR have failed to put in their sales blurb. It grieves me greatly to see my iPace go. I don't think that I'm alone in not being aware that all CCS points are not equal or that JLR has opted to only support some of them. A lot of time went in to selecting the iPace and from all the reviews and articles it should have been a brilliant and fun way to get around. Reality was different. I will now have to repeat the process for some other vehicle. Needless to say that a test drive around several different charging points will be part of the exercise.

If being told this news is seen as throwing toys out of pram then that is your interpretation. I do feel it right to share what I have found out since January. That's a useful function of forums. This and other threads on the forum have instances of owners not understanding why they have failed to get a charge. Don't feel threatened that someone else has an issue and be grateful that you and others now know that a road trip to Scotland carries risks not obvious when looking at Zap Map et al.
Well that's the thing at forums you only have what the person says to go with, hence the interpretation. And I'm sorry but your posts do not sound as warning. Venting at best, and maybe trying to make yourself feel better by slating the car in front of its current and future owners? Why else would you throw in comments like "I also note that BMW i3 , Audi eTron, and Tesla 3 have been able to make their cars work at all the pumps I can't use". And we're supposed to be grateful for you telling us that? :lol:

Hey, you don't need to repeat the process and drive around different charging points as according to your other posts you have "proof" of the above - so again, why don't you just go and buy yourself Tesla 3 or Audi eTron and live happily ever after. :)
I-Pace FE, 20” wheels, S18C_18.37.1, telematics 14.2

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Mon May 27, 2019 7:41 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:10 pm
I think people should be cautious about claiming that all other cars work flawlessly with the chargers. We don’t know. If my iPace worked and yours didn’t, who knows how many etrons will fail to charge.
I haven't been following it closely, but there has certainly been chatter on Tesla forums that some Model-3s have had trouble at some 3rd party CCS chargers. Once UK owner start posting such problems in UK Tesla forums I'm more like to see that chatter.

Chutche

Post by Chutche » Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Disgusted. Have tried ccs charging in Kingussie,Aviemore,Grantown-on-Spey and Nairn, none of which worked.
Has ANYONE with an I-pace got any of these to work onCCS. All worked on DC .Even tried dc for a few minutes then to CCS.
This makes a mockery of the claim that chargers are readily available——they are but do not work with I-pace.
This discourages any long journeys, though instavolt works at a price.

Chunky

Post by Chunky » Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Chutche wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm
Disgusted. Have tried ccs charging in Kingussie,Aviemore,Grantown-on-Spey and Nairn, none of which worked.
Has ANYONE with an I-pace got any of these to work onCCS. All worked on DC .Even tried dc for a few minutes then to CCS.
This makes a mockery of the claim that chargers are readily available——they are but do not work with I-pace.
This discourages any long journeys, though instavolt works at a price.
I feel your pain. I borrowed an Etron today, from Audi, and took it to some of the Rapid CCS chargers my iPace will not work at. It was able to connect and charge. To answer your question, I have been able to use some Scottish CCS units. Not the ones on your list but the latest ones from eVolt and Siemens ones. Like you I've never had a problem with the AC chargers except that they are limited to 7kW.

KennP

Post by KennP » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am

I have had my Ipace for 6 months now and can confirm that i have NEVER managed a CCS charge from either Ecotricity or CYC chargers in and around the West Yorkshire area.

I too have spent time trying to get JLR to give an explantion of why this sis so. They say they have designed it to work with the latest chargers and the car is not defective. Typical JLr response - ooh it's not our fault.

I maintain it is their fault as the chargers were there before the car came off the production line. It should be backward compatible with the chargers that exist. There is no way any of these chargers are going to be updated anytime soon and I can't see me ever being able to rapid charge on the CCS from an Ecotriccity or Charge Your Car pump.

This has serverely mpacted my use of the vehicle and in some respects I wish I didn't have it because, quite simply, it is fundamentally flawed with this issue.

I can charge on Pod Point CCS units very successfully but these are not on the motorway or A road routes causing me to make substaintial route diversions in order to get a charge other than a slow 4-8 hour one on the AC.

I feel totally letdown by JLR and want the world to know about it.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

When did you last try Ecotricity? They have updated their chargers now and I used 6 of them at the weekend with no issues.

Note: if it doesn’t charge first time, reboot the charger using the emergency stop button. That worked for me on the one that wouldn’t start from the app.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

fantonsen

Post by fantonsen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm

KennP wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am
I have had my Ipace for 6 months now and can confirm that i have NEVER managed a CCS charge from either Ecotricity or CYC chargers in and around the West Yorkshire area.

I too have spent time trying to get JLR to give an explantion of why this sis so. They say they have designed it to work with the latest chargers and the car is not defective. Typical JLr response - ooh it's not our fault.
I think this is the reason for much of the problem with the I-pace charging around europe. The software is too picky regarding the communication with the chargers.
Why have they decided that it will only work with the latest and updated chargers? Since there still are many older chargers across europe, and many of them probably will not be updated in a long time, if at all.
Is it really that hard to have a software in the car that is backward compatible with most CCS-standards?
If the communication fail with the latest CSS-standard, fallback to en earlier standard and try again.

I could understand that you in some cases would not get full charging-speed with old chargers, but in most cases it would be far better with a charging-speed of lets say 30 kW instead of a charging-fault, and no charging at all.
🇳🇴 Norway
8-) I-Pace S | Firenze red | September 2018
:arrow: InControl: S18C_18.37.1-222737 | Telematics: 15.2

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm

fantonsen wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm
The software is too picky regarding the communication with the chargers.
Why have they decided that it will only work with the latest and updated chargers?
Devils advocate:

Jaguar build charging to CSS Standard. Doesn't work with e.g. Ecotricity. On investigation find that Ecotricity, whilst it has worked fine with EVs to date, doesn't conform correctly to the standard. (Happens all the time in Software ... things get better over time as edge-cases are exposed, and understood/known ... then they invent a new standard and everyone starts over again!)

What then? Make car work with all "interpretations" of the standard (and run the risk of side effects of doing that ...), or require Vendor to make their Pump conformant?

Ecotricity (in this case) appear to be upgrading their Pumps

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Thinking about it....

The first big install of rapid chargers was carried out by Nissan in association with EcoTricity. These were chargers that were designed to work with the Nissan Leaf and the roll out was only 8 years ago. At that time CCS was a figment of the imagination as was its specification.

Rapid CCS chargers only started to become available in any meaningful amount in 2014, though they were around about 2 years before then.

The Specification for the Nissan chargers has not changed a lot since their original installation.

CCS has has grown, with CCS2 being more recently introduced.

The number of vehicles using CCS2 has grown, but the specifications have been poorly written and interpreted differently by competing charger manufacturers and EV builders.

It is only now that the mainstream manufacturers such as Jaguar and Audi are getting involved that the protocols are starting to get on an even footing. I know that with the i3 EVs I have owned, CCS charging way always a nightmare.

It is still new technology and will take a while longer for things to bed down and for assurance that arriving at a charger will result in added range to your EV.

Tesla currently has a massive advantage in charging because they make both the car and the charger. Nissan Leaf owners are also confident that the Chademo system works as well. All other EV manufacturers are reliant on getting a well defined protocol and charger manufacturers that understand it.

It will come, but older chargers probably will not fully support modern EVs unless the chargers are updated.

It is not Jaguar’s fault that the car doesn’t always charge on older chargers. It is Jaguar’s fault that they don’t make this clear to buyers of the I-Pace.
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, H228

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am

Chewy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:04 pm
Nissan Leaf owners are also confident that the Chademo system works as well. All other EV manufacturers are reliant on getting a well defined protocol and charger manufacturers that understand it.
Interestingly, I arrived at a charger yesterday (my nemesis, an old style eVolt compact rapid charger on the ChargePlace Scotland network). A Nissan driver was trying to charge there and it wouldn’t work. He gave up and moved to the AC post so I decided to give it a go, fully expecting it to fail. It worked first time! First time I’ve ever seen a Nissan fail to charge and the I-Pace to work. I quietly enjoyed the moment but don’t expect the experience to be repeated any time soon!
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Return to “Faults & Technical”