BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
DougTheMac

Re: BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

Post by DougTheMac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 pm

It’s a great shame that Ecotricity got the exclusive franchise for chargers on the UK motorway network, yet they are so generally unreliable. On a long motorway trip, all other options require a diversion. But you definitely need a Plan B with Ecotricity.
Instavolt are great, but mostly inconveniently located (many at Bannatyne Health Clubs).
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

wilco

Re: BP Chargemaster and Ecotricity

Post by wilco » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am

MarcusUK wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am
<t>I’m getting my MY20 on 24th and it’s my first EV. I’ve had a Chargemaster wallbox fitted. That was an interesting time consuming experience for someone who doesn’t know his amps from his volts from him watts. <br/>
<br/>
So I’m going to get their card/App and I guess pay the £7.50 a month, although most of my charging will be done at home. I see motorway services are generally Ecotricity. I guess I need to register with them too? Anyone got any experience with Ecotricity?</t>
I tend to charge at home but have used Polar & Instavolt both of whom have been pain free. Get the Zapmap app which will show you all the chargers on your route & also has a route planner.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. S/w 19a.11 & 16.2

DAMIT

Do not rely on Ecotricity motorway chargers!

Post by DAMIT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 am

They are dreadful and in my case rarely work. Recently got stranded at Donnington services for over 4 hours trying to charge using AC type 2, 43kw charger thinking they were fast chargers, They are NOT they only charge at max 7kw in the ipace. Which in the 45mins timed limited charge put less than 14 miles on my range! The CCS charger did not work!

Just this Sunday drove up the M1 called in at Leicester Forest East, NorthBound tried 5 times to get the CCS to charge each time just 30secs charge then cut off after just 1 mile added to range. So crossed over the road to try Southbound, exactly the same thing twice (you go through the whole process on the mobile, agree the charge tells you to plug in starts to charge 30secs later stops)

Had to abort trip, returned south called in at Watford Gap, This one worked! Added 22kw in 35mins session.

Drove down the A34 Monday called into Sutton Scotney (southbound) CCS would not charge, same problem as before tried twice gave up.

SammyD

Re: Do not rely on Ecotricity motorway chargers!

Post by SammyD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

DAMIT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 am

They are dreadful and in my case rarely work. Recently got stranded at Donnington services for over 4 hours trying to charge using AC type 2, 43kw charger thinking they were fast chargers, They are NOT they only charge at max 7kw in the ipace. Which in the 45mins timed limited charge put less than 14 miles on my range! The CCS charger did not work!

Just this Sunday drove up the M1 called in at Leicester Forest East, NorthBound tried 5 times to get the CCS to charge each time just 30secs charge then cut off after just 1 mile added to range. So crossed over the road to try Southbound, exactly the same thing twice (you go through the whole process on the mobile, agree the charge tells you to plug in starts to charge 30secs later stops)

Had to abort trip, returned south called in at Watford Gap, This one worked! Added 22kw in 35mins session.

Drove down the A34 Monday called into Sutton Scotney (southbound) CCS would not charge, same problem as before tried twice gave up.
OTOH, I've used the ones at Fleet Services (M3) in both directions without issue as well as Baldock (A1M).
Ecotricity is good (as in cheap) when they work but you really need a Plan B for the 50% of the times when they don't.

I wish Dale (CEO Of Ecotricity) would get his finger out and sort them out once and for all. Non working chargers don't invite people to switch to his company.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”