Just Leaving it Plugged In?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
NightFox

Just Leaving it Plugged In?

Post by NightFox » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

There’s so many (interesting) posts on here about only charging to 80% and limiting charging times with some very convoluted methods. However, as a prospective purchaser this isn’t really what I was hoping for.

My plan was just when the car was at home, it would be plugged in to a live charger. As I work from home much of the time, the car can sometimes just sit there for 2 or 3 days.

If I’m planning on buying on PCP and will not be keeping the car beyond 3 years, is there really any issue with just having the car permanently hooked up? (I’m not on an off-peak rate electricity tariff)

Thanks,

Neil

sciencegeek

Re: Just Leaving it Plugged In?

Post by sciencegeek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Don't overthink it. You'll soon get in the habit of plugging it in when it needs it and just unplugging whenever it's convenient. Yes you can charge to "100%" without damage. Once it reaches that it will just quit charging, so having it plugged in doesn't matter. Once you learn to love the car you might unplug at 80% or whatever because that's the nice thing to do for the next guy that will own that car.

scm

Post by scm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 pm

But don't leave it unused for any length of time at 100% charge.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

And there is some parasitic electricity consumption if permanently plugged in. Not sure how significant.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 am

NightFox wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm
as a prospective purchaser this isn’t really what I was hoping for.
I would suggest not over thinking it.

I can't speak for iPace ... nor Tesla for that matter, I'm no battery chemistry expert ... but I've read plenty, and driven over 80,000 miles in a Tesla (about 6% degradation, half of that in the first 20-30,00 miles)

Tesla provides the ability to adjust the Charging Limit and encourages "normal" charging to 90% and "trip charging" to 100%.

I read on the Tesla forums "I only charge mine to 50% to preserve battery life" and so on, but also taxi companies that have abused their batteries, charged to 100% every night and let them sit like that for hours, rapid charged at every opportunity, and had less than 10% range loss at 100-150,000 miles. An ICE is also going to get some loss of efficiency at 100,000 miles :)

Musk is on record as saying and encouraging "Come home, Plug in".

its possible that iPace chemistry will behave differently somehow, but I doubt it. The only snag is that we lack any long term data for iPace ... but Jag says "Charge to 100%" and, indeed, has not provided any easy means of NOT doing that.

Tesla has, at times and for marketing reasons, sold cars with software limited battery size - so bigger battery, but limited to about 90% of that. Those owners realised that they could therefore charge to 100% every day, whereas everyone else's daily charge was 90% ...

My understanding is that iPace battery has some "top end reserve", so seems to me to be a bit like the software-limited Tesla batteries. As such I think just charge to 100% and don't worry about it.

Another possible point is that a Tesla will reduce charge rate at Rapid Chargers on cars that have repeatedly charged at Rapid Chargers; Bjorn Nayland has YouTubes that mention it, he is a high mileage Tesla driver and rapid charges often on his trips. I don't remember him doing a specific video about that, but my recollection was that even then his car only slowed max-charge-rate at Rapid Chargers by about 10% ... so even in those sorts of extreme conditions the impact does not seem to be all that significant.

carlEV400

Post by carlEV400 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 am

Leave it plugged it....the car manages everything it needs to.

Also, unlike older EV's there is no risk associated with continual charging to 100%.

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am

It just seems illogical to me to never charge the car above 80% to avoid any degredation in the battery... by self-imposing a 20% degredation in the battery!

I think I'd also suffer from a form of range anxiety only recharging once it had run down to a certain level; it's when you get that sudden need to make an urgent trip (due to a family crisis or whatever) and you've not got enough charge. Easy with an ICE, not so easy with an EV. Of course, all this could be managed with a suitable strategy, but I'd perfer it to be something I didn't even have to think about at all.

RichT

Post by RichT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:21 am

Not disagreeing with anyone but strangely my conclusions are quite the opposite -

I don't charge to 100% each night because I find it frustrating having reduced regen for most of my 16 mile commute to work.
Having to employ the friction brakes at all just seems a waste.
Then there's also some energy wastage if the battery is cell balancing each time it gets to 100%.

In fact I've given up plugging it in at night until the charge gets down to around 35% (still over 70 miles of range which is all I had in the Leaf).
Then I have the Zappi set to put in 40 kWh by, say, 08.15 in the morning.

This works better if I need to go away for a few days as the car doesn't get left sitting at 100%.
And it's a disappointing truth that if there was a family crisis I wouldn't be using the IPace to drive Hertfordshire to Northumberland in a hurry!

carlEV400

Post by carlEV400 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 am

I think that is a really valid point RichT

Aus_ipace

Post by Aus_ipace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am

Yep, totally agree with RichT. While my commute is 90kms a day (45km each way) so the regen thing is not a big issue as it doesn't take long to reach the point where regen is available, the extra time (and electricity) it takes from 98% to when it actually stops charging is inefficient and costly and therefore I only do that once every so often. This is mainly due to the battery rebalancing that kicks in and can extend the charge by an extra hour.
Jaguar I-Pace FE Corris Grey. Built Sept 2018, delivered (finally) in Feb 2019.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”