Re: Tech Radar Lands End adventure

Post by Goshdarnit » Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 am

RJUK wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 pm
RJUK wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm somewhat intrigued by this statement. The article mentions being anxious due to the car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, plus wanting to have enough charge to get to the next closest charger if the first one happens to be broken.
I’m not sure which part of my post relates to this. None of what I said was about range consumption or broken chargers, other than the comment about “charging is already tricky enough” which in part relates to serviceability. But I was agreeing that serviceability is an issue, not disagreeing. I’m not being argumentative, I just can’t see what I said that relates to your comment.
Sorry, I think I went off on a bit of a tangent. I'm not arguing with anything you're saying, just interested in what you mean about it being a case of changing your thinking.

Genuinely interested, as it's something I'm going to have to do.
Ah right! Was feeling very confused there!

OK, what I mean is that when you have an ICE car, when the range is getting to 80 miles you start to think about fuelling up. In part, that is because nobody wants to get home with an empty tank as it means you will have to fill up at the start of your next journey. But in an EV, you come home and plug in so a low charge state is no big deal. You also tend to avoid running your ICE tank too empty because fuel gauges are iffy and you can get some debris settling in the bottom of the tank. While a GOM can be unreliable, the percentage indicator is pretty spot on. And there is no debris in the tank.

Mentally, 80 miles may not feel like much but it is actually probably 3-4 motorway service stations. They tend to be around 30 miles apart (often less though). It’s enough to drive three quarters of the way around the M25. Almost enough to drive from Manchester to Birmingham. It’s just a lot more than it psychologically feels like and after a while with an EV you find your ICE brain becomes reprogrammed to be less worried about those kind of numbers. It’s hard to explain but it just becomes less of a deal.

Well that’s been my experience anyway.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

voisin

Post by voisin » Sat May 18, 2019 1:31 am

RJUK wrote:
The article mentions being anxious due to the car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, plus wanting to have enough charge to get to the next closest charger if the first one happens to be broken.

From what I read on these forums, that thought process is completely reasonable, as despite the lack of chargers in the UK, a great many of them are broken when you arrive at them.

Unless there's something I'm missing?
With regards to being anxious due to car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, I'd say that is completely unreasonable ;)
I-Pace FE, 20” wheels, S18C_18.37.1, telematics 14.2

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 am

voisin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:31 am
RJUK wrote:
The article mentions being anxious due to the car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, plus wanting to have enough charge to get to the next closest charger if the first one happens to be broken.

From what I read on these forums, that thought process is completely reasonable, as despite the lack of chargers in the UK, a great many of them are broken when you arrive at them.

With regards to being anxious due to car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, I'd say that is completely unreasonable ;)
The thing is that only happens because they picked up a press car which had almost certainly had a GoM reset and hadn’t “learned” their style of driving. So that is another issue that goes away after owning the car for a while.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 am

So is the "fuel gauge" pretty accurate when it comes to guessing how many miles are left in the tank then?
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

johnd

Post by johnd » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

RJUK wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am
The issue isn't with the I-Pace though - it's a general EV problem that the infrastructure just isn't there yet in the same way as it is for ICE cars. Plus it's a threefold problem - reduced range compared to ICE cars, fewer fuelling stations available, and much longer times to re-fuel once you find one.
All valid points and a good summary. The one extra perspective I'd add is that it's significantly easier to have an EV if you're a 2(+?) car family than where everything must rely on one single vehicle.

If you have EV + ICE then the ICE option is always there in the background if needed. Quite a lot of EV owners seem also to keep running an ICE car which is favoured when there's a journey or situation that isn't well suited to the EV.

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am

Well the I-Pace will be my only car and one that I'll have to use for business also. My wife has an ICE car still, but I wouldn't want to go piling miles on her personal (owned) car in favour of my company lease.

Also, I'd have to amend her insurance to include business mileage for me, so it's not worth it for us. The I-Pace will need to act as my only vehicle.

If you need to have an ICE as a back up to your EV then that rather proves that the infrastructure isn't sufficient yet, but then we know that.

It is annoying how the government is taxing everyone to the hilt for using ICE cars, without providing the necessary infrastructure to support the supposedly greener alternative.
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

voisin

Post by voisin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 am
voisin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:31 am

The thing is that only happens because they picked up a press car which had almost certainly had a GoM reset and hadn’t “learned” their style of driving. So that is another issue that goes away after owning the car for a while.
I don't think this issue ever goes away, unless in addition to having the same driving style the person also drives on the same kinds of roads - i.e. only on motorways, or only on town roads, or only on small rural roads, and so on.

Once you introduce a mixture of roads in your driving routine, the effect becomes the same as when you introduce a mixture of driving styles into your routine. GOM seems to come up with some sort of average approximation, and when you then drive on motorways the miles it predicted are disappearing faster than you drive, and when you drive on town roads the miles are disappearing slower than you drive, and so on.

That's what I meant by saying it is unreasonable to get worried over the issue. In vast majority of cases - as most people tend to drive a mixture of roads - the figure displayed by the GOM is completely meaningless (and I wish there was a way to get it off the dashboard - is there??)

wilco

Post by wilco » Sun May 19, 2019 7:34 am

RJUK wrote:
Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Interesting article with some valid points. But the concept of doing the journey only using BP Polar chargers is just plain stupid. Why? The article didn’t mention being sponsored by BP. So why would you limit yourself? It’s like being low on petrol and refusing to use a Shell garage. Charging can be tricky enough without throwing in artificial problems on top.

I get what you are saying about 81 mile range anxiety being a non-issue. But I remember when I was new to EVs and I had the exact same mind set. It takes you a while to adjust your thinking, and this is what everyone who makes the switch will have to go through. You come out the other side in a much better place though!
Having not received my car yet (still months away), I'm somewhat intrigued by this statement. The article mentions being anxious due to the car eating through its range faster than the miles are being ticked off, plus wanting to have enough charge to get to the next closest charger if the first one happens to be broken.

Only that you tend to only hear about the bad news on the forum. There are always more negative posts than positive ones which I suppose is the point of it really, share the bad news & solutions/workarounds. On the subject of chargers I have yet to find one that didn't work & I suspect I am not on my own.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. S/w 19a_19.11 & 16.2?

voisin

Post by voisin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:43 am

RJUK wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 am
So is the "fuel gauge" pretty accurate when it comes to guessing how many miles are left in the tank then?
I believe so. There may be variations at the very top and very bottom battery percentages, but they appear to be small AND they appear to be in your favour (in the sense that the very top and very bottom percentages probably pack in few more miles compared to the rest of the battery percentages of the same value), in effect giving you some room.

That's why I think the EV "fuel gauge" is pretty much the same as the fuel gauge on an ICE car, with only one difference - you never really have to worry about the fuel gauge on an ICE car, but you do have to worry about it on the EV as here the "fuel tank" is twice smaller and the filling stations are scarce!

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm

voisin wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:43 am
RJUK wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 am
I believe so. There may be variations at the very top and very bottom battery percentages, but they appear to be small AND they appear to be in your favour (in the sense that the very top and very bottom percentages probably pack in few more miles compared to the rest of the battery percentages of the same value), in effect giving you some room.

That's why I think the EV "fuel gauge" is pretty much the same as the fuel gauge on an ICE car, with only one difference - you never really have to worry about the fuel gauge on an ICE car, but you do have to worry about it on the EV as here the "fuel tank" is twice smaller and the filling stations are scarce!
Thanks for the honest answer. I agree, there's certainly more to worry about with an EV, else it's not something anyone would ever talk about. If you're willing to plan ahead and "make the effort" though, then an EV can be very rewarding.

Out of interest, what does GOM stand for? I keep wondering. Guestimation Of Mileage?

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”