WattCat - InControl remote app for Android early access

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
fantonsen

Re: WattCat - InControl remote app for Android early access

Post by fantonsen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 am

ardevd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:22 am
I have little experience with 15.2 but I suspect it has the same issue with charging control as 14.2 does. However, there's only one way to find out :) Try to pause charging in the app and see if it stays paused. If it resumes charging within a few minutes again then you're affected by the issue that is seemingly fixed in 16.2
It still resumes charging shortly after I pause it.
So this is fixed in 16.2? If you pause it from the app, it will stay off permanently (until next command or plugin)?

If so, I guess I then have one good reason for persuading my dealer to upgrade my TCU again.
(Since they are reluctant to upgrading any thing outside campaigns without it fixing spesific bugs...)
🇳🇴 Norway
8-) I-Pace S | Firenze red | September 2018
:arrow: InControl: S18C_18.37.1-222737 | Telematics: 15.2

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am

fantonsen wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 am
ardevd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:22 am
I have little experience with 15.2 but I suspect it has the same issue with charging control as 14.2 does. However, there's only one way to find out :) Try to pause charging in the app and see if it stays paused. If it resumes charging within a few minutes again then you're affected by the issue that is seemingly fixed in 16.2
It still resumes charging shortly after I pause it.
So this is fixed in 16.2? If you pause it from the app, it will stay off permanently (until next command or plugin)?

If so, I guess I then have one good reason for persuading my dealer to upgrade my TCU again.
(Since they are reluctant to upgrading any thing outside campaigns without it fixing spesific bugs...)
That indeed seems to be the case, thought I must admit that I havent tested this extensively. I did a quick test two days ago and the charging stayed paused for several hours. Now that the max soc functionality in WattCat seems to be working (I'm sure there are still bugs that I will have to iron out) I guess I'll find out how well the vehicle respects the charging state.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy | I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: N/A | InControl: S19A_19.11.4-330884

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Also, if anyone can test the max SOC mechanism now and tell me how it works that would be awesome. I don't drive enough to drain the battery below 80% in a day so I will have to wait a few days ^^

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

That's exactly what I've just downloaded the app for, so I'll test it overnight and report back.

As a matter of interest, how does your app deal with preconditioning? If the app has forced charging to stop when a SOC maximum is reached, when a preset preconditioning time is reached, will the car still draw on the charger or will the app keep preventing this?

e.g. car is plugged in overnight with a departure time of 0800hrs set. Car reaches set maximum of 80% SOC at 0400hrs so app forces it to stop charging. When preconditioning starts at perhaps 0730hrs, will this still be powered from the mains, or from the car battery?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

NightFox wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm
That's exactly what I've just downloaded the app for, so I'll test it overnight and report back.

As a matter of interest, how does your app deal with preconditioning? If the app has forced charging to stop when a SOC maximum is reached, when a preset preconditioning time is reached, will the car still draw on the charger or will the app keep preventing this?

e.g. car is plugged in overnight with a departure time of 0800hrs set. Car reaches set maximum of 80% SOC at 0400hrs so app forces it to stop charging. When preconditioning starts at perhaps 0730hrs, will this still be powered from the mains, or from the car battery?
That's currently unclear. It's actually unclear whether preconditioning draws from the mains at all. Tests we've conducted with jlrpy indicates that is not the case. I've reported our findings to JLR who have forwarded it to their engineers guys. Awaiting feedback from them.

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm

OK, so it may be that if you're plugged in and preconditioning, then the draw is still on the battery, but this is being replenished immediately from the mains? If this is the case then I guess it would depend on how accurate the SOC is reported in the API, and whether the very slight reduction in it would actually be visible to the app for it to allow charging again.

Actually, thinking as I type this, if the app stops a charge due to max SOC being reached, can that charge only be restarted again manually (i.e. from the official app, or by unplugging/plugging in again)?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:04 pm

NightFox wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm
Actually, thinking as I type this, if the app stops a charge due to max SOC being reached, can that charge only be restarted again manually (i.e. from the official app, or by unplugging/plugging in again)?
The current implementation means you'll have to manually resume charging after it has been paused. You can resume it right from WattCat though so no need to use the official app. There is no way for the app to know at any given moment whether the charging is paused because it at some point reached the maximum SOC or if the user manually paused it, hence it doesn't make sense I think for the app to then resume charging again.

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 pm

I did a test now. I set Max SOC to 88%. Half an hour later charging was paused and Soc was 88%. Happy times.

ghost

Post by ghost » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 pm

ardevd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

That's currently unclear. It's actually unclear whether preconditioning draws from the mains at all. Tests we've conducted with jlrpy indicates that is not the case. I've reported our findings to JLR who have forwarded it to their engineers guys. Awaiting feedback from them.
Do you suggest that the energy consumed in preconditioning might be drawn from the 12V battery ?

Highly unlikely I think. Even a modest 2 kW draw would mean 167 Amps. Possible, but I would be surprised. Probably not good for the longevity of the 12 V battery because of the many cycles it would go through.

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm

You can read more about the testing and results here

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”