Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
JSN
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:18 am
Location: Scotland

Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by JSN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 am

Has anyone succesfully charged an IPACE in the UK from a Tesla Destiantion charger. Allegedly, they have type 2 connectors, but I'm wondering if the protocol is compatible ? (I aslo know the Tesla type-2 has a notch in it for preventing Supercharger use by non-Teslas)


Volkswarren
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 pm
Location: Uk

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by Volkswarren » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am

Give it a go and let us know, I haven even seen a tesla chargerin my travels yet.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. All here :)


pedro1664
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by pedro1664 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 am

JSN wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone succesfully charged an IPACE in the UK from a Tesla Destiantion charger. Allegedly, they have type 2 connectors, but I'm wondering if the protocol is compatible ? (I aslo know the Tesla type-2 has a notch in it for preventing Supercharger use by non-Teslas)
I have at teh Belfry, worked great.....
I-Pace HSE, Silicon Silver, 22" 5056 Black Pack


Pcheaven
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by Pcheaven » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 am

The rule of thumb is :
If the Tesla sign is in red. Then it shouldnt work
If the Tesla sign is in white. It should work.

No sign. Then ask the destination owners. Often they will work.
2019 First Edition.
Photon Red


IanT
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 pm
Location: uk

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by IanT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm

My understanding is Tesla destination is typically 11kw which is effectively a domestic 3pin 3.2kw plug but three phase. Given that the i-pace has only a single phase the charge rate will be effectively 3.2kw max - same as using the 'granny' lead
i-Pace SE, MY19, Firenze red, panoramic roof, surround sound and various others that took my fancy. Ordered Oct18, Build March 1st, collection 12th April 2019!


Chewy
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: Forest of Dean. UK.

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by Chewy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 pm

IanT wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm
My understanding is Tesla destination is typically 11kw which is effectively a domestic 3pin 3.2kw plug but three phase. Given that the i-pace has only a single phase the charge rate will be effectively 3.2kw max - same as using the 'granny' lead
My Tesla MS didn't have 3 off 3.2kW AC to DC converters. Be very surprised if any did. @TeslaDriver may be able to clarify

I had one active 7kW module. There was a second fitted to my car, but Tesla wanted silly money to activate are it.

More modern Tesla EVs have higher AC capability available.
Last edited by Chewy on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, 15.2


TeslaDriver
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by TeslaDriver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Chewy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 pm
IanT wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm
My understanding is Tesla destination is typically 11kw which is effectively a domestic 3pin 3.2kw plug but three phase. Given that the i-pace has only a single phase the charge rate will be effectively 3.2kw max - same as using the 'granny' lead
My Tesla MS didn't have 3 off 3.2kW AC to DC converters. Be very surprised if any did.
I don't have reliable information, it has changed from time to time, within a model even, and by territory, but "in general"

Model-S/X and Model-3 Long Range 11.5kW (48 amp)
Model-3 Short Range 7.7kW (32 amp)


IanT
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 pm
Location: uk

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by IanT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:50 am

Chewy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 pm
IanT wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm
My understanding is Tesla destination is typically 11kw which is effectively a domestic 3pin 3.2kw plug but three phase. Given that the i-pace has only a single phase the charge rate will be effectively 3.2kw max - same as using the 'granny' lead
My Tesla MS didn't have 3 off 3.2kW AC to DC converters. Be very surprised if any did. @TeslaDriver may be able to clarify

I had one active 7kW module. There was a second fitted to my car, but Tesla wanted silly money to activate are it.

More modern Tesla EVs have higher AC capability available.
Isn't Tesla capable of 3phase charging on type 2 then? My experience of destination 11kw is that on an i-pace you get 3kw ish which would follow that it is just using one phase... if Tesla was also only single phase charging then 11kw would perform the same for them and be pointless right? I'm I missing something? Curious!
i-Pace SE, MY19, Firenze red, panoramic roof, surround sound and various others that took my fancy. Ordered Oct18, Build March 1st, collection 12th April 2019!


Grifmike
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by Grifmike » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi All,

I installed a few Tesla chargers at my businesses- generally the agreement is 3 Tesla “only” chargers + 1 general purpose Type 2 “all EV” charger.

I get full 7kwh connection on the “all EV” charger - but the Tesla only chargers will not handshake with the Ipace. My brother has Etron and he gets 11kwh from the “all EV” charger and my buddy’s MX pulls approx 16kws from the Tesla only chargers.

Overall the Tesla branded “all EV” is very reliable - have had zero issues with it.

So just make sure it’s the Tesla “All EV” destination charger and you will have no problem

Mike


Captain.Plummet
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Charging an IPACE from Tesla Destination charger?

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Grifmike wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 pm
Hi All,

I installed a few Tesla chargers at my businesses- generally the agreement is 3 Tesla “only” chargers + 1 general purpose Type 2 “all EV” charger.

I get full 7kwh connection on the “all EV” charger - but the Tesla only chargers will not handshake with the Ipace. My brother has Etron and he gets 11kwh from the “all EV” charger and my buddy’s MX pulls approx 16kws from the Tesla only chargers.

Overall the Tesla branded “all EV” is very reliable - have had zero issues with it.

So just make sure it’s the Tesla “All EV” destination charger and you will have no problem

Mike
It didn’t for me at Carlyon Bay Hotel but it could have been that someone had flipped the DIP switch on the ‘all EV’ chargepoint.


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”