Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
qqiao
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by qqiao » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm

51mes wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 pm
After living with earlier versions of ictpro for the past few years with my XE, the most important thing they can give us infotainment related is a solid android auto/apple car play integration. Though this may be tainted with an ICE View of the world, I rarely use any Jag native function bar DAB.

S.
That is actually what I thought, and had been doing. But, when it's hardware limited, it's not just the navigation and media player, there are lot more things that are bogged down by the overall MCU limitation. Many of them we actually use on a fairly frequent basis.

1. The reverse camera delay may or may not be caused by the slow hardware
2. Even AA/CarPlay itself experiences sporadic stutters and cracks when the car is performing something that's gfx intensive, for example switching between day/night mode. I had to work around this by having the car in night mode the whole time, but even then it still stutters from time to time
3. HVAC controls are laggy too. It's hard to change the temperature because it's way to easy to overshoot the desired temperature.
4. Dashboard display is also laggy, speedo, power meter etc.
2019 IPace FE. Corris grey exterior. Oyster white interior.
S19A_19.24.2-375121/14.2


ardevd
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:30 am
Location: Norway

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by ardevd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 pm

qqiao wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm
51mes wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 pm
After living with earlier versions of ictpro for the past few years with my XE, the most important thing they can give us infotainment related is a solid android auto/apple car play integration. Though this may be tainted with an ICE View of the world, I rarely use any Jag native function bar DAB.

S.
That is actually what I thought, and had been doing. But, when it's hardware limited, it's not just the navigation and media player, there are lot more things that are bogged down by the overall MCU limitation. Many of them we actually use on a fairly frequent basis.

1. The reverse camera delay may or may not be caused by the slow hardware
2. Even AA/CarPlay itself experiences sporadic stutters and cracks when the car is performing something that's gfx intensive, for example switching between day/night mode. I had to work around this by having the car in night mode the whole time, but even then it still stutters from time to time
3. HVAC controls are laggy too. It's hard to change the temperature because it's way to easy to overshoot the desired temperature.
4. Dashboard display is also laggy, speedo, power meter etc.
There are some really weird quirks too in regards to performance. Like how the speedo gauge is pretty smooth and responsive while the power meter is super laggy.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy | I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: N/A | InControl: S19A_19.11.4-330884


User avatar
NightFox
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by NightFox » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm

With CarPlay on iOS 13 now supporting multiple screens, if Jaguar choose to support this with a software upgrade it will be interesting to see if the CarPlay experience in the I-Pace also becomes laggy across multiple screens/HUD.


elbocko
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:49 pm
Location: Fareham, Hampshire

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by elbocko » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 pm

qqiao wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:19 am
I think they are genuinely surprised by the fact that so many of us are younger and more technically interested than the typical Jaguar customer in the past.
Thank you for that. :D
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19
Infotainment S19A_19.24.2-375121, Telematics 16.2, Battery Shh, it won't say.


Goshdarnit
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm

I agree with Nightfox. We all knew what we were getting into with the infotainment. I do think they should fix the reversing camera bug (if it’s possible with the current hardware, which I’m sure it is). But the rest of it? If there is new hardware I am 100% sure it will go in the next version of the car. Not a retrofit. And I don’t think it should be. SOTA will absolutely improve our systems. We’ve already seen that (with some mixed results) and we know they will continue. I don’t expect huge new features but I do expect to see improvements continue to be made. My system is already much more responsive than it was when I bought the car. Some new bugs were introduced but nothing that big. I fully understand the frustration of those who use creep though!
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands


User avatar
malakai
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:38 am
Location: United States

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by malakai » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm
I agree with Nightfox. We all knew what we were getting into with the infotainment.
I ordered mine from the factory after a 15 minute test drive in a car that had "PROTOTYPE VEHICLE" painted on the back, was sporting "Vehicle Mfr" plates, and had an "infotainment system unavailable" message on the center screen. I didn't know what I was getting into with the infotainment, I never got to try it until my car showed up. I was just taking it on faith that it'd be working by delivery time. *shrug*

That said, I wasn't really disappointed in the infotainment pre 19A-24, and I'm comfortable with it now on the most current software. Granted, that's six months after delivery... but still not terrible. I feel like I'm one SOTA update away from being a happy infotainment customer.
😸 ⚡ 2019 I-Pace HSE EV400 / Silicon Silver, Black / Siena Tan, Ebony, Oyster / 20" 5068's
🇺🇸 ✋ Detroit Michigan


Goshdarnit
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:39 pm

malakai wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm
I agree with Nightfox. We all knew what we were getting into with the infotainment.
I ordered mine from the factory after a 15 minute test drive in a car that had "PROTOTYPE VEHICLE" painted on the back, was sporting "Vehicle Mfr" plates, and had an "infotainment system unavailable" message on the center screen. I didn't know what I was getting into with the infotainment, I never got to try it until my car showed up. I was just taking it on faith that it'd be working by delivery time. *shrug*

That said, I wasn't really disappointed in the infotainment pre 19A-24, and I'm comfortable with it now on the most current software. Granted, that's six months after delivery... but still not terrible. I feel like I'm one SOTA update away from being a happy infotainment customer.
I also ordered mine on launch day, before I had driven it but I made sure I got a proper test drive before the cut off date. But point taken, there may be a very few people in who took delivery without using the infotainment. However, I’d be surprised if you hadn’t heard about its issues as it was very well publicised in pretty much every review I watched and read.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands


qqiao
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by qqiao » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:02 pm

I get the point that if I ordered the car knowing the infotainment sucks, I am the one to blame, and I even agree with it.

Our point is that having an uncompetitive infotainment serves Jaguar no good in a competitive market.

The other point is that how much the infotainment really suck is highly subjective. Some consider a 500ms lag acceptable, and some don't. But still, bearable doesn't mean good. Lag is lag, no lag is better than lag.

We are not saying this to bash Jaguar, we are providing the feedback, even negative, so that Jaguar can succeed in their future models.
2019 IPace FE. Corris grey exterior. Oyster white interior.
S19A_19.24.2-375121/14.2


qqiao
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by qqiao » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:39 pm
malakai wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm
I agree with Nightfox. We all knew what we were getting into with the infotainment.
I ordered mine from the factory after a 15 minute test drive in a car that had "PROTOTYPE VEHICLE" painted on the back, was sporting "Vehicle Mfr" plates, and had an "infotainment system unavailable" message on the center screen. I didn't know what I was getting into with the infotainment, I never got to try it until my car showed up. I was just taking it on faith that it'd be working by delivery time. *shrug*

That said, I wasn't really disappointed in the infotainment pre 19A-24, and I'm comfortable with it now on the most current software. Granted, that's six months after delivery... but still not terrible. I feel like I'm one SOTA update away from being a happy infotainment customer.
I also ordered mine on launch day, before I had driven it but I made sure I got a proper test drive before the cut off date. But point taken, there may be a very few people in who took delivery without using the infotainment. However, I’d be surprised if you hadn’t heard about its issues as it was very well publicised in pretty much every review I watched and read.
Yes, the lag was well publicised, but, and this is a huge but, at the time, we were promised SOTA that would address the issue, and at the time the MCU limitation was not public knowledge, it isn't even well known now, even to Jags own dealers.

The issue isn't the fact that we didn't know about the lag, we knew about it, was given hope that it might get addressed, and that promise they are failing to deliver on.
2019 IPace FE. Corris grey exterior. Oyster white interior.
S19A_19.24.2-375121/14.2


Goshdarnit
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: Meeting with I-Pace Engineering. Give me your questions!

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 pm

I never saw any “promise” from Jag saying they would fix lag via SOTA, or even acknowledging that system is laggy at all. Sorry but that just never happened. I’m not being an apologist here but the simple fact is that any improved systems will be for new cars only.

If you can point me towards any statements that contradict me and back up what you say then I will happily admit that I’m wrong.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”