Home Charging in UK

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
TeslaDriver
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by TeslaDriver » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 am

badgb21 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 am
it''ll be on a single tariff electricity and I'll charge it when I need to.
No argument with that :) however if you are able to charge "overnight" at times it will help the planet by soaking up excess power generation.


fa147
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by fa147 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am

badgb21 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 am
it''ll be on a single tariff electricity and I'll charge it when I need to.
I think reducing hassle is a good thing, after all we are saving significantly by not using petrol, so is the extra pound/pence worth the headache every month?

However, I decided to go for EDF Go Electric tariff which is 8p from 9pm-7am every day and the whole of the weekend. The reason for that is because of EV charging and also because in general we can/would use more electricity during those periods. It’s not as cheap as maybe Octupus Go, but so much less hassle for a greater period of time.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.99.155


badgb21
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by badgb21 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Yes, I'll be generally charging overnight, that will be convenient for me and help the daytime power generation as you say.

I don't mean to get pedantic over utility companies and tariffs, I have spent way too much time looking at them for my power and gas requirements lately (I enjoy it secretly). But quoting one aspect of the tariff without the whole day rate and standing charge and in my case the gas tariff/S. Charge, it is falling short of the full picture.

I have tried to be generous with my E7 profile and assume all car charging at night rate and 5% of home power at night too. I have added gas for dual energy supply as this tends to help pricing;
Now, I can't get E7 to beat a the best single Elec tariff deal, I'm comparing all companies not just green ones.

This whole thread has got to think more about green elec energy plans and I think I'll be heading that direction, if the difference is sensible.

Never thought it, I'm turning GREEN! My wife will be pleased!


User avatar
Terry60
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm
Location: Wilts UK

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by Terry60 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:46 pm

TeslaDriver wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 am
badgb21 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 am
it''ll be on a single tariff electricity and I'll charge it when I need to.
No argument with that :) however if you are able to charge "overnight" at times it will help the planet by soaking up excess power generation.
Not only are you saving money, but being responsibly green in overnight charging. Soaking up surplus capacity overnight and not contributing to daytime peaks which necessitate firing up extra gas plants.

In future, rather than being part of a problem of "inadequate supply to meet EV demand breaking the grid" put about by doom-mongering oil lobbyists, you'll be part of the solution instead.
V2G technology will eventually use your vehicle and the 90% of vehicles parked 90% of their lives as a massive resource to draw on to meet morning and evening peak demand.
Effectively your tariff will pay you when it sucks power from your parked car, then put it back at cheap-rate when demand falls (or even at zero cost if dumping renewable surplus on a windy night)
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S19A_19.24 Tele 16.2 Maps 99.0155
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)


fa147
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by fa147 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 pm

V2G is effectively crowd-sourced battery storage, and as we know, whenever anything is crowd-sourced, it's because 1 company/entity can't justify the spend to achieve the same goal. However the fact that they are willing to crowd-source, means it must be the right thing to do.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.99.155


Quakered
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 am
Location: London

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by Quakered » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Well I think the key to controlling your energy costs is just to use less of the stuff. Over the last 15 years have had external insulation installed on our solid wall house, fitted PV panels and because so much of the generation was feeding into the grid, also got a Tesla Powerwall. While we have always generated more electricity than we consume, the battery means we can actually use most of it ourselves - last year we were 74% self sufficient and we only imported 600 kWh (and exported 1,000!). With the I Pace I hope to grab a large chunk of the export to deliver free miles. Today I have harvested 24 miles of free electricity and hope for the same tomorrow and Sunday. I accept my fuel bills will rise with the I Pace but this will be small in comparison with the saving on petrol. We also get the FiT subsidy for our PV that delivers about £1,700 pa. With domestic gas and electricity costing around £600 pa we should still be well in credit even with the I Pace’s demands for juice.

I like the flexibility of the EDF Go tariff aa most of our domestic demand comes in the evening after cloudy days so a start at 21:30 and all weekend should mean we use very little peak power.

Please dot think I am some green loon! I see “manmade climate change” as a daft cult to exploit the gullible with precious little science behind it but if you can make your own electricity for a very modest price and drive a car that doesn’t poison the very old and very young, why wouldn’t you?
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19


User avatar
Terry60
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm
Location: Wilts UK

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by Terry60 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Quakered wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

... I see “manmade climate change” as a daft cult to exploit the gullible with precious little science behind it ...
Then you've not been paying attention
Or else reading the Daily Mail
Take a look at who pays for the tiny percentage of contrary opinion.
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S19A_19.24 Tele 16.2 Maps 99.0155
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)


Goshdarnit
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Terry60 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Then you've not been paying attention
Or else reading the Daily Mail
Take a look at who pays for the tiny percentage of contrary opinion.
Wow. Can’t believe there are still people spouting the myth that man made climate change doesn’t exist. Incredible. Well said Terry.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands


scm
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by scm » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:26 pm
Wow. Can’t believe there are still people spouting the myth that man made climate change doesn’t exist. Incredible. Well said Terry.
Well, some people still believe the Earth is flat, and dinosaurs lived when man was around. And that god exists. ;)


Volkswarren
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 pm
Location: Uk

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by Volkswarren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm

You mean he doesn’t 😮
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19A_19.24.2-375121


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”