Home Charging in UK

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
davidp40

Re: Home Charging in UK

Post by davidp40 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:10 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks for the replies again, they have proved valuable.
I re-consulted with my electrician and he agreed 50 amps would be ok and will upgrade components accordingly. He mentioned ‘diversity’ and I looked it up on the net. I could feel the life sucking away from me, so 50 Amps it is, come what may.
Good. I didn't want to say, but I think 50A is the correct answer. Diversity doesn't apply to car chargers, so you simply have 50A less 30A equals 20A to use for other stuff. it's perfectly OK to have a 20A ring circuit for sockets, as long as it's properly protected.

Can't comment on your energy supplier conclusions since you don't show the actual calculations. I would just reiterate that at 8p/unit after 9pm and all weekend, EDF Go Electric is pretty good as you can manually put the car on charge after 9pm if needed, which isn't too demanding. They come along and install the smart meter free of charge, and since it's the latest "SMETS 2" type, it will work for all energy suppliers if you swap in future.
SE, Corris Grey, Pan roof, 20" diamond cut, delivered April 2019. Warwickshire.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 am

As far as my timed charging video goes, I no longer need to do that. Since h228 I haven’t had to bother with it. However, some others are still having to use that technique. If yours is like mine, then you could just set your charger up to charge during your off peak period (00:30 to 04:30 in the case of Octopus) and then just plug the car in every day when you get home. It will then start charging at midnight thirty and charge for four hours before shutting off. Then it’s as simple as just plugging in every day when you get home. No messing around with departure times etc. Just plug and go.

However, as I said, not everyone’s works like this. I believe though that you’d need a charger which allows for timed charging to qualify as “smart” for the OLEV grant. So you could wait until you have your car, then try it out with timed charging. If it works, then you could start the switch to a cheap off peak energy supplier.
Last edited by Goshdarnit on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

starlir

Post by starlir » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 am

I took delivery of my I-Pace on September 1st and thought it might be worth sharing a couple of issues related to Home Charging. I selected BP Chargemaster to do a 7Kw charger install, sent in all the photos and other required information and the install was booked in the last week of August. Some 5 minutes after arrival the installer told me he could not do the install as I was on a looped supply (commonly referred to as a shared supply) and that I would need to seek approval from the DNO (in this Northern Powergrid) to authorise the install on the existing supply or pay for a new dedicated mains supply to the house. This was quite a shock as I had no idea that the mains on my house was configured in this way. The photos did not show the issue as the main fuse cover was almost tight to the bottom of the electricity wallbox.

Contacted Northen Powergrid who sent out a highly technical 'Customer Questionnaire' which Chargemaster completed on their own paperwork and sent directly to Northern Powergrid. In essence this questionnaire seeks to do a load survey on your home electrical items and what the earthing arrangements are. NP allocated a technical contact to me who I spoke to and then came out to review my infrastructure. He was excellent, down to earth and very knowledgeable. Looped supplies are very common in Yorkshire, I have a cable that comes in from the roadway to a 'cutout', with a second cable going out from the other side of the cutout to the neighbours house. On my side of the cutout it leads to the main 80A fuse (even though the cover is labelled 100A) and then on to the meter. So, the incoming cable needs to be capable of handing 160A (mine plus neighbour) and in my case that was deemed to be the case and I subsequently received an 'Authorisation to Install on Existing' from Northern Powergrid which Chargemaster needed to carry on with the install. This letter specifies a maximum load of 80A, so for others in this thread who are taking feeds to external garages I think it's important that the property's maximum load is not exceeded. I had never thought of mains electricity being 'limited' in this way but of course, it is.

The install was rebooked for yesterday. My charger is installed just inside the garage immediately adjacent to the consumer unit. Now the next surprise was revealed. The installers first task is to install the metre long earth rod in to the garage floor and then check the quality of the provided earth which has to have a reading below a set level (don't know if this is defined in the electrical regs or if it is a Chargemaster determined value that they are happy with). Luckily mine passed with no issues but the quality of the earth will depend on the substrate below the concrete base, shale apparently is likely to be a problem, I have clay which is good). The installer told me that the reason Earth Rods were added to the regs in January this year is that a certain type of fault could result in the car chassis becoming live, not good! He said that even though my charger is inside the garage, the car is sat on the driveway outside and so the earthing requirement still stands. I was led to believe that the only way it can be ignored is if the car is completely in the garage. Be aware that if the earth reading cannot be reached then the installation will have to be aborted. At the end of the process I was issued with a NICEIC Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate which will be important for anyone selling their house later.

Having said all of the above the install is really tidy and very happy with it, first top up charge completed with no issue. There is, however a remaining question. The Jaguar manual says to connect the charge cable to the charger first and then the car, the installer said that their advice from Chargemaster, certainly for the smart charger I had installed, it was car first and then charger. I don't know if it's really important or not but wondered if anyone had any views on this?
I-Pace HSE Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension, 22” 5066 Wheels
S19A_19.24.2-375121
Telematics 16.2

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm

starlir wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 am

Having said all of the above the install is really tidy and very happy with it, first top up charge completed with no issue. There is, however a remaining question. The Jaguar manual says to connect the charge cable to the charger first and then the car, the installer said that their advice from Chargemaster, certainly for the smart charger I had installed, it was car first and then charger. I don't know if it's really important or not but wondered if anyone had any views on this?
What a palava, but at least its all sorted, safe and working now.

Most chargers I have visited that don't have tethered cables, ACC, so you use your own supplied with the car, state plug the cable into the charger first, then the car. These will be ACC chargers, Podpoint, Rolex, Polar etc etc, so that is the way I have always done it and they have worked, in fact I used a Podpoint ACC this morning and that was the same.

Also, those of us that have home chargers ACC, and have the tethered cables, obviously have them connected to the charger before plugging into the car, so I would assume that is the correct procedure as per the JLR manual.
Last edited by ChrisMc on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 Uodated again 20.09.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 pm

I have a non tethered home charger, which I bought so that I could use a longer cable than the one that came with the tethered version. The cable is permanently plugged in to the charger in my garage, so charger end effectively always connected first. Works fine.
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:41 pm

This looks like a good read (not had time yet though!)

https://fullycharged.show/blog/electric ... rge-point/

badgb21

Post by badgb21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

The info so far has been quite eye opening!
Elbocko – Nice set up! You do well getting the car in the garage!
Goshdarnit – We need a new video then! Please one with your current set up (Vid star, you!)
Starlir – Thank you for sharing and well done for sorting it out. I don’t have a shared or looped supply, but I will be asking my electrician to ensure the earthing meets standard, but I’m just not sure who’s!
Night Fox – Good info in that link, my research didn’t find significant savings using a timed charge, but I guess this will be user specific and you certainly need more than 2000kW for 8000 miles in an iPace.

Any more UK charging experiences would be very welcome.
I’ll post up my garage feed work once it’s been done and then the charge box install in the coming weeks/months.
I will also try to summarise all the points at the very end of my project and maybe the mods can add to the start summary thread.
Thanks to all.

scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Choosing an energy provider isn’t t easy.

Differences between standing charges (£0.20 to £0.30 per day), more expensive standard rates but cheaper off-peak rates. Off-peak rates that are more expensive but available for a longer period of time etc etc.

Hard to work out which one will provide the best value.

I know that I roughly use 3400kwh per year before the iPace, but I don’t know when I use it. I don’t plan to charge the car at home that much (free charging at work) but when I do it would be better to do this at night (cost and environmental - more clean energy is available at night apparently).

How do you work it out?

Bulb looks like a good value standard tariff.
Octopus Go - higher standard charge and ver slightly more expensive standard rate, but 4 hours at 5p.
EDF Go - even more expensive standing charge, higher standard rate, higher off-peak rate that Octopus but available for a far longer period (9pm to 7am and all weekend).

Anyone done some work on this?

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 pm

It depends on your lifestyle. I moved to Octopus Go when I got my car as 4 hours a night at 5p/KWh is usually ample for me and is much cheaper than my previous supplier. There is a thread on here about Octopus if interested.

All others can do is give you the basic information then apply whatever is best to suit your requirements and lifestyle and make your mind up.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 Uodated again 20.09.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks.

Done a bit of a rough assessment (bored on a train home and access to Excel)

Based on my current (pre-car) consumption of 3400 kWh per year, and an assumed 3000 miles car charging at 3.5 miles per kWH (with the remaining charging done elsewhere).

I have assumed that all my car charging will be done off-peak no matter what the tariff (ie the Octopus smaller window would still be sufficient).

I have assumed that 10% of my non-car consumption would be in the Octopus off-tariff period / and 40% would be in the EDF off-period period.

I have then done a comparison between EDF and Octopus EV tarrifs and the Bulb regular tariff.

Outputs are that EDF / Octopus are pretty much even, and Bulb is about 15% more expensive. Without the car, EDF is cheaper (the 5p per kWH for the car makes a difference), but not by much (c.5%).

Think might go with EDF as it gives more flexibility on when you can charge the car.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”