To Air is Human?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Hutch

To Air is Human?

Post by Hutch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie just selecting my car. I've had a good search around but haven't really got the facts on Electronic Air Suspension and I'm hoping to get some info please...

a) Does the option add sufficient weight to impact range materially?

b) Is there some loss of usable luggage space if so roughly how much?

c) How will I notice the benefits when driving?

Thanks in anticipation.

elbocko

Re: To Air is Human?

Post by elbocko » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Difficult questions to answer; easy one first
2) there is no loss of the designed luggage space. There is a space underneath the boot floor storage which in my car holds the compressor and compressed air storage. Others have reported that they can get to it but it is not straight forward.
1) I cannot comment on range because I have always had the 'kit' installed and drive it the way I enjoy so cannot give a comparison.
3) I have Air suspension on 18" wheels and I love it. The only place where the car is noisy is on a concrete section of the M25, between the A3 junction and the A30, but I understand that there are BMW drivers who have lost their fillings in that area. :lol:
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18"
InControl Touch Pro S19B_19.40.4-436082. Vehicle Connectivity 17.2, Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say.

ELray

Post by ELray » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 pm

A) there is added weight, but not much so range won’t get impacted.
B) there is no loss of luggage room. However, the space used for the compressor can be used on a spring car, with modifications, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2270&hilit=Air+compressor+space
C) Yes you will. However I only got springs with 20” wheels, and the ride feels fine on normal road.
Last edited by ELray on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:19.10.22): S19B_19.40.4-436082
⚙️ Maps(upd:19.10.31): 08.030.0101.0156

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm

If you opt for Air Suspension you will get either 20" or 22" wheels. Both of these will have an adverse affect on range.

The additional mass of the suspension system will have a small but negligible affect. It is the rotational mass of the wheels and the additional rolling resistance of the tyres that cause the problem.

If you have anything other than 18" wheels you will have a hard ride if you don't opt for Air Suspension - hence the reason for it.

18" Wheels on spring suspension provide a very comfortable ride and also have the added advantage of protecting themselves from being curbed.

It is also mentioned that the steering is also slightly lighter with the smaller wheels.

Unless you plan to race your I-Pace, I can offer no technical advantage to having Air Suspension over the normal spring suspension if fitted with 18" wheels.

22" wheels will make the car look "prettier" than 18" wheels.

When you come to replace the tyres, the ones on the 18" wheels will be substantially less expensive.

eyvind

Post by eyvind » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm

I’d agree with Chewy except to add that air suspension gives the option to raise the car, which can be handy if you ever find yourself driving in the rough. You can also have it automatically lower when you park to make it easier to get in and out of (works particularly well for kids).

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:17 pm

I would try to arrange a test drive of a car with air suspension and one without. Personally I'm very happy with the comfort and handling of the SE with 20" wheels on springs.
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D

timbray

Post by timbray » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 am

I got the air suspension and really appreciate it. In a rutted back alley in an urban snowstorm it's super helpful to hoist the car up a few cm.
S, Caesium Blue, 20" Gloss Black, red Windsor leather, see https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/What/The% ... r%20Diary/

emgf

Post by emgf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 am

shadwellal wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:17 pm
I would try to arrange a test drive of a car with air suspension and one without. Personally I'm very happy with the comfort and handling of the SE with 20" wheels on springs.
So do i
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018 , IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 Telematics 16.2

I-Pace

Post by I-Pace » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm

I have 20” on springs and don’t regret it:

- Some journalist (Whatcar?) claims that the spring suspension is more comfortable than the air suspension.
- Last week someone on this forum went from air suspension to spring suspension (courtesy car) and felt the second one was faster (less weight?).
- Having 3 kids, I can really do with the extra storage space by not having the compressor (can add two medium size bags).

Springs save money, space, weight, are more reliable and don’t impact the comfort much but tesdrive both if you can (if you can also do a drag race with both I will want to know the result :-))

Basil Fawlty

Post by Basil Fawlty » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 pm

by I-Pace » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm

I have 20” on springs and don’t regret it:

- Some journalist (Whatcar?) claims that the spring suspension is more comfortable than the air suspension.
- Last week someone on this forum went from air suspension to spring suspension (courtesy car) and felt the second one was faster (less weight?).
- Having 3 kids, I can really do with the extra storage space by not having the compressor (can add two medium size bags).

Springs save money, space, weight, are more reliable and don’t impact the comfort much but tesdrive both if you can (if you can also do a drag race with both I will want to know the result :-))
Same here - 20" and standard suspension works for me, 100% better than my previous F Pace.
Delivered March2019. MY19 I Pace SE Corris Grey, black pack, privacy glass, black wheels, pano roof, 0-60 4.5secs - No spare wheel due to the ridiculous storage solution.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”