Ignition turns off when driver door is opened?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
KevinPeters

Ignition turns off when driver door is opened?

Post by KevinPeters » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:51 am

Imagine this situation: You're getting ready to drive to work in the morning. You've started your car, put all the heating on, set your destination and started your music. You start to reverse out of your driveway (reversing camera is on) and you realise you need to put the bins out. So you put the car in park, open the door...

...and the ignition switches off.

Once you jump back in, you have to start it again, wait 10 seconds for the infotainment to come back on, wait another 10 seconds for the reversing camera to come back on, turn on the screen heating, steering wheel heating...

What am I doing wrong here (apart from forgetting to put the bins out)? How can I stop the car from turning itself off?
MY20 SE with heated seats and panoramic roof

LarrieH

Re: Ignition turns off when driver door is opened?

Post by LarrieH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 am

Its the nanny state! Select N and apply the Electronic Parking Brake and the ignition will stay on.
Photon Red FE, 22" 5 spoke + carbon inserts, 19Oct18

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 am

If you don't fasten your seat belt the car won't turn of if you stop and open the door. Of course I'm not telling you to drive without fastening the seatbelts, only to fasten them when you are leaving the driveway.
MY20 Yulong White SE, 20", air suspension, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs

KevinPeters

Post by KevinPeters » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks, good to know, although I guess 25 years of habit of putting my seatbelt on before starting the 'engine' will be heard to break. ;-)

I like the neutral trick - will try it out.
MY20 SE with heated seats and panoramic roof

Mr P

Post by Mr P » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 pm

there is a post on this on facebook, it is so annoying it was suggested that putting your foot on the brake before opening the door whilst in park but that still will not work

malakai

Post by malakai » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Yeah, the "put it in neutral and apply the parking brake" thing is a workaround- but it is annoying too, because I can never remember if pushing the brake button or pulling it turns it on, and there is a lag before it applies, so I have to fight with it for a little bit every time.

The poweroff thing is a super annoying misfeature of the car, and I wish it had a user selectable preference, or at least had a message like "car will shut of if you don't acknowledge in 5... 4... 3..."

The good news is that my IPace is stable enough now on the current software that I have time to be annoyed by this. :)
😸 ⚡ 2019 I-Pace HSE EV400 / Silicon Silver, Black / Siena Tan, Ebony, Oyster / 20" 5068's
🇺🇸 ✋ Detroit Michigan

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 am

This is also one of my pet hates, along with the fact that the alarm engages if you leave the car and don't lock the door. I've often left the kids in the car for 5 minutes whilst jumping into the shop for 5 minutes only for them to trip the alarm. JLR, If I want the car to do something, I'll push a button for it - don't try to figure it out for me as most of the time, you'll do something I didn't want you to do!

This was the same in my RR Sport. What's worse, I had the rear-seat entertainment which was a bit of work to get both screens synched and playing for the kids in the back. Typical story would be, we set off on a long drive. I get the kids settled with headphones synched properly, the DVD playing properly after 10 times hearing "it's not working" at 10 second intervals. After 10 minutes, I then pull into the petrol station to fill up for the ride, the car switches off (RRS did it when unbuckling the seatbelt), then we had to go through the process again! Again, JLR, if I want the car to do something, I'll push a button, otherwise, leave the car alone!
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19B|| Telematics: Version 16.2

Jaggy_Luss

Post by Jaggy_Luss » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am

mclarenpaul wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 am
This is also one of my pet hates, along with the fact that the alarm engages if you leave the car and don't lock the door. I've often left the kids in the car for 5 minutes whilst jumping into the shop for 5 minutes only for them to trip the alarm.
I have read somewhere that the JLR -dealer can do a config-change. So the I-Pace don't lock it self. to be searched in the I-Guide.
I found it.

Passive arming can be enabled or disabled by a retailer/authorised repairer.

If the passive arming feature is enabled, it automatically arms the perimetric alarm system 60 seconds after the driver's door is closed. All of the doors, the bonnet, and the tailgate must also be closed. The vehicle’s electrical system must be switched off and no valid smart key should be left inside the vehicle.

Passive arming does not lock the vehicle, although access to the luggage compartment, via the interior or exterior release buttons, is prevented. A charging flap always locks.
Caesium Blue, S, MY2019,
S19B_19.40.4-436082,
TCU ??? after H228,
Activ air suspension, HUD, drive assist 1&2
18 inch rims with 4 season tyres

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”