Adaptive CC & sign recognition questions

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Aus_ipace

Adaptive CC & sign recognition questions

Post by Aus_ipace » Fri May 18, 2018 6:03 am

Hi,

Really excited about some of the tech included in the I-Pace although I do have concerns / questions on a couple of components.

The road sign recognition concern I have is specific to Australia, so most of you European folk won't have this concern, but according to the Australian literature road sign recognition is not available in Australia. I was looking forward to this feature, more specifically the ability for the cruise control feature to automatically adjust to the speed limit based on the signs. Hopefully this is a feature that will be enabled via OTA updates in the future, but I know it is also not available in other Jags here that have this capability.

The second one surrounds adaptive cruise control which I have in my current car and love this feature. However there seems to be a discrepancy between the UK and Australian websites on an important feature. The Aus website here (https://www.jaguar.com.au/jaguar-range/ ... afety.html) specifies the following for both Adaptive cruise control and standard cruise control capability: "Does not include gradient auto-braking function, the vehicle may exceed the set speed when travelling downhill." However the same page on the UK site does not stipulate this.

Now I will be quite disappointed if this feature is not available, as it is available on my current car and would seem a backward step if this capability was not available in a brand new luxury car with this level of technology. I have posted the question to my dealer but have not heard back yet - it seems strange that this feature would be region specific, so one of the websites must be wrong? Does anyone know any info on this?

Thanks.

Gdank

Re: Adaptive CC & sign recognition questions

Post by Gdank » Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

You'll have to ask an Australian Jag dealership to know 100% or ask under the Jag Relationship section here.

I doubt very much that it won't auto-break, the car has AEB even down-under, and generally if it can auto-break then it will slow down when driving with ACC on. It's probably an Australian legal a$$e covering disclaimer.

Aus_ipace

Post by Aus_ipace » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am

Response from Jaguar Australia:

Unlike some other Brands, Jaguar's cruise control system does not include an auto-braking feature that incorporates the brakes. Instead, the Cruise Control system uses the throttle to manage the speed.

It is possible, in some cases, to exceed the target speed, such as when travelling down a steep hill.

This is not to say that the vehicle will be unable to control the speed when travelling downhill. In many cases the speed can be managed effectively through the throttle control.

However, since it is possible (given the right conditions) to exceed the target speed, we want to manage expectations on the operation of this feature.

Additional note -
Having said all that, because of regen-braking, EVs operate very differently to ICE vehicles when it comes to throttle control. With the regen-braking on I-PACE, as soon as you lift off the 'throttle', the car will start to harvest kinetic energy through the regen-braking system - resulting in a braking effect. It is entirely possible that this regen-braking will control the speed sufficiently to prevent an overspeed situation. When I drove the I-PACE, I didn’t use the cruise so I cannot be certain regen-braking will work to slow down the car sufficiently in every possible scenario.

Tophe74

Post by Tophe74 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

Yes i think the I-Pace will maintain speed with regen braking and its far enough braking even in high downhill. That's how my A3 E-tron does and never exceded the speed i set with cruise control.
Its far more easy to achieve for manufacturers with electric regen brakes than with standard brakes on ice cars.
45 000 kms with my A3 and brakes are like 40% worm out.

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Fri May 18, 2018 5:45 pm

One small point .... I’m not sure how the I-Pace will work, but the F-Pace with sign recognition and ACC didn’t auto slow you downer speed you up. It would only work with intelligent speed limiter.

It did have a system that it would warn you if you was over / +5mph / +10mph over

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”