Using Tesla Home Charger

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Dreadcat

Using Tesla Home Charger

Post by Dreadcat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a home Tesla charger and wondered if it can be used to charge the I-Pace? I went to a Tesla Destination Charger today (ie NOT a supercharger) and it fits and charges. Wondered if anyone has had experience of this?

Evo&FPGone

Re: Using Tesla Home Charger

Post by Evo&FPGone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:06 pm

I had a holiday at Loch Tay Highland Lodges for a week last September. One of the attractions was that they advertised EV charging was available.
They were in fact Tesla destination units at which all three units looked exactly the same but with"Tesla" labels on the first two but "EV" on the identical third one, all were fitted with type2 plugs and cables. I can definitely say that only the one labelled "EV" worked with my I-Pace at 7Kw rate. The "Tesla" labelled would not charge or proceed from "initialisation" showing in the car. Hope this helps!
MY20 HSE delivered 13th May 2019. InControl : ( SOTA 17/12/19) 19 C_19.46.4-458817, Telematics: 16.2
Fuji White, HUD, Black Pack 20", Privacy, Pano, Air+Dynamic Suspension.

mariopaol

Post by mariopaol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Dreadcat, I have a Tesla wall connector v2 and using it to charge my Tesla MS and my wife Jaguar I-Pace without problems since one year.

IRace

Post by IRace » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm

There is actually a jumper inside the charger (dip switch 2) that is undocumented and switches between Tesla only or any type 2 car. I believe Tesla cannot sell these chargers in EU to consumers with the 'Tesla only' setting enabled due to legal constraints. The manual says to leave it in its'up' position.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”