Suspension questions from potential new owner

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
stevelup

Suspension questions from potential new owner

Post by stevelup » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 am

Hi Folks,

I'm strongly considering an I-Pace for my next car.

Does anyone have any opinion on the various dynamics options?

I'd be particularly keen to hear from drivers who perhaps have one or more of the dynamics options on their own car and have driven other cars without it so a first hand comparison can be made.

Sorry for such a needy first post ;)

Cheers!

RichT

Re: Suspension questions from potential new owner

Post by RichT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 am

There have been quite a few threads on this subject.

Search for "Adaptive Surface Response (ADSR)" as a start.
And "Air Suspension & Adaptive Dynamics".

In brief if you specify Air Suspension you do need "Adaptive Dynamics" to get the
adaptive suspension dampers (so the suspension can stiffen-up in Dynamic mode).
But the actual configurable settings (Configurable Dynamics) are disappointingly binary.

If you have AS without Adaptive Dynamics the fixed damper setting is perhaps closer
to Dynamic mode than Comfort mode. Similar to the steel sprung car (non-AS) fixed settings in fact.
Some people prefer the feel of the car without Air Suspension - I have tried it and is very good.

And you don't really need AdSR unless you drive off road or on snow a lot.

51mes

Post by 51mes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am

First off Welcome,

I've had a 2016 XE-S with all the trimmings (active suspension, driving dynamics) on 19"s (and 18"s in the winter) and now an IPace SE with 18" and air. The biggest change for me is the switch between the saloon and the SUV.

I used to set the XE dynamics mode to improve everything except suspension and pretty much left it like that. The standard cars still have snow/ice, eco,comfort and sport, which adjusts things to set parameters what you miss is the ability to customise. If you have air suspension these settings are supposed to change the settings on the air (I've not noticed) as well as throttle response . The XE also changed thee way the gearbox responded (not present on the IPace of course).

At road sensible levels I find the IPace to be more comfortable and ride better than the XE, the air suspension certainly helps, as does the fact I went for 18" wheels, does it corner as well as the XE no, but it's damn good for a 2.3 tonne SUV & I have other cars for sports fun,. Setting the mode to dynamic certainly wakes the car up compared to eco. Do I miss driving dynamics - In the round no - I'd rather have spent the money on something like the HUD (but my priorities went oyster leather (so SE) ,pan roof,air and then HUD - and the budget didn't make the HUD (which I had on the XE and liked).

S.
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats|F/R Splash Guards I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 19C + Telematics 16.2 + H264 | Home podpoint 7Kw+ Rpi/jlrpy for timed charging.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21 am

One thing to beat in mind which people often miss is that adaptive dynamics does not just allow you to set up what you want the suspension etc to act like in Dynamic mode. It’s a lot more than that. It also changes the way the suspension reacts to road surfaces in every driving mode. Normal air suspension is pretty much passive. Adaptive dynamics makes it an active air suspension system which makes many small adjustments as the car drives. A lot of people think it just means you can select comfort suspension in dynamic mode. It’s a lot more than that.

AGT

Post by AGT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:44 am

ADD - I have air suspension and adaptive dynamics.

I have tried and failed to find a way of adjusting the suspension settings within the driving modes.

Given the range benefits post 264 of using ECO mode I would like to be able to pair ECO mode to a firmer suspension set up. The car defaulting to Comfort for the broken city roads is good for me but I now switch to ECO on motorway drives where firmer suspension would be good. Is this possible? What hidden menu am I failing to find?

Andrew

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

AGT wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:44 am
ADD - I have air suspension and adaptive dynamics.

I have tried and failed to find a way of adjusting the suspension settings within the driving modes.

Given the range benefits post 264 of using ECO mode I would like to be able to pair ECO mode to a firmer suspension set up. The car defaulting to Comfort for the broken city roads is good for me but I now switch to ECO on motorway drives where firmer suspension would be good. Is this possible? What hidden menu am I failing to find?

Andrew
Hi Andrew. You can only alter the settings for Dynamic mode unfortunately, so you wouldn’t be able to adjust the Eco suspension setting in the way that you describe.

stevelup

Post by stevelup » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone. I come from seven previous BMWs all of which have had some form or other of adaptive suspension. I've definitely noticed its absence when I've had loan cars without it.

I think I'll probably tick the 'Adaptive Dynamics' box. Quite an expensive option though...

I have my test drive on Saturday - I'll be sure to find out which suspension setup the demo car has.

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:59 pm

I ticked all the boxes but only use the offroad feature of the air suspension. There is a difference between need and want.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, H264, H280, TCU 18.2, BECM: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

LowOnCash

Post by LowOnCash » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:36 am

For the most part all the dynamic settings are limited and more for sale-ability then actual racing or going off road. At least for myself and a few friends who own I-Pace's, the air suspension primary use is for an improved ride. A secondary use is for dealing with uneven surfaces, speed-bumps and steep driveway entrances. While the Ipace is pretty quick from the stand point of being electric, I don't think you'll see too many on the track. Overall its a great luxury car with good looks and good performance.

Mike

LowOnCash

Post by LowOnCash » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:36 am

I did want to also mention then the suspension is altered either up or down it will affect the ride and handling greatly - which is why it will cancel your setting after a period of time or speed.

Mike