I Pace Driving Charging & Mile Discrepancies - Mike Mas

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
LowOnCash

I Pace Driving Charging & Mile Discrepancies - Mike Mas

Post by LowOnCash » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 am

Hello All - In an attempt to wrap my head around I Pace’s miles verses kw, I decided to take another short “Test-Ride” this morning to check some usage and charging numbers since the temperature was near 70 today.

I live in North Georgia where our terrain is somewhat hilly, so I selected low regen to avoid regen (braking) on the downgrades to enable the car to coast freely. I also used the throttle to keep the needle centered on downgrades so the car would accelerate freely. There were no pre-heating prior to the trip and no accessories or heat was used. The car is Pre-H244.

The car & battery temperature (garaged) this morning was about 69 degrees. I drove a total of 52 miles, 25 miles at 55-60 mph on a 4 lane, and 27 miles at 35-45 mph on a 2 lane. The car was running a total of 91 minutes.

After a full charge the night before, the GOM showed 275 miles when I first opened the door. As usual, by the time I got down my driveway, I started the trip with 265 miles showing.

I drove about half way and had breakfast, then drove to a park then traveled home (3 legs). The trip totaled 52 miles total. The trip decreased my 265 miles, to only 159 miles. This means it required 106 miles of GOM to travel only 52 miles, or about 2 miles of GOM for each 1 mile traveled.

Charging
- After being parked for an hour, I plugged in my Level 2 JuiceBox to top off the battery.

WattCat showed the battery capacity at 51 kw when I began charging. After a full charge, it showed 81.75 kw, or 30.75 kw to fully charge. This figure is not correct since the JuiceBox showed it only delivered 21 kw to fully charge. (with loses)

In retrospect, the IPace showed the battery at 64% w/ 159 miles remaining. After a full charge, JuiceBox shows it delivered 21kw. When I take the 21 kw and divide it by the 52 miles traveled, it shows my consumption at 2.47 miles per Kw. Even more confusing, my IPace journeys logged the 52 miles on three legs @ 3.21/2.58/ 3.72 mi/kw average, far from my true milage.

In conclusion - nothing makes any sense or coincides with any other measurements. The cars actual mileage, GOM, I Pace journeys, WattCatt, are all totally off from each other. Of all the many electric cars I’ve owned, my I Pace is by far the most unpredictable when it comes to achieving projected milage and re-charging.

Regards - Mike

Captain.Plummet

Re: I Pace Driving Charging & Mile Discrepancies - Mike Mas

Post by Captain.Plummet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:02 am

275 miles is almost the maximum I have ever seen on my GoM after reset in 70deg temperatures, so you must have a new car or have reset. After a while the GoM will settle to your driving style. If you do the same trip again you will see different results.
Post H264 the GoM is more accurate at an earlier stage in the process and range is improved, at least in the cold weather that we have in the UK at the moment.
Regen is important if you are in hilly terrain. On high setting, if the charge needle is showing full regen, the battery charge rate can be as high as 100KWh.

LowOnCash

Post by LowOnCash » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:09 am

Captain thanks for the reply - yeah were pretty hilly here in North Georgia as well which does have an effect on mileage. However, just for the test there is additional range if you prevent the regen from slowing the car down on the decline, some guys move it to neutral however I prefer to just use my throttle as long as the needle is in center its just like coasting.

Any thought why the GOM wattcat and the Journeys are all reading incorrect?

Thanks Mike

GoneNuts

Post by GoneNuts » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 am

The inaccuracy of the GoM and the car/InControl Remote app's energy consumption numbers are totally inaccurate. Don't trust either number. I've kept track of WattCat and the car's reported consumption and the car underestimates energy used by an average of 15%.

I don't know why Juicebox and WattCat number are so different. A level 2 charger will add about 6.3-6.5 kWh per hour so check on the length of the charging session.

To best determine range I divide the miles travelled by the change in SoC and multiply by 100. You travelled 52 miles and used 36% for 1.44 miles per 1% SoC - a range of 144 miles.

We've discussed this before and you did the right thing by downloading WattCat. Now you have evidence that your range is far too low and something is wrong with either the battery, battery management system, or something else. The only other explanation for such a low range is extensive use of the climate control.

GoneNuts

Post by GoneNuts » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 am

LowOnCash wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:09 am
Any thought why the GOM wattcat and the Journeys are all reading incorrect?

Thanks Mike
I'm more concerned about the difference between WattCat and Juicebox. WattCat reports from the API and Juicebox reports what came from the charger and put into the battery. Usually the charging system will report more than what really went into the battery due to some loss. WattCat showing 10 kWh more is concerning - again indicating a problem somewhere. Combine your 144 mile range (which perfectly mirrors your previous observations) with the discrepancy over how much energy went into the battery says there is a problem somewhere.

malakai

Post by malakai » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Do you know what is up with your juicebox charging rate only being 6.5kW? My juicebox has always fed the car a solid 7.51kW up until the tank is almost full and it starts doing its balancing thing.

I've never seen 275 on the GOM. I think 253 is the highest I've seen.

Whenever I do look at the efficiency of the car (which isn't often), I've divided the odometer by the lifetime output of the charger. I can do that because I never charge anywhere but at home, less the occasional top-off from when the car is at the dealer, 30 miles from here. I occasionally preheat the cabin with it plugged in. I never use eco mode. I drive the car like I'm being chased and don't want to be caught. High regen, no creep. I don't charge until the battery is below 80%, and then I always charge to 100% and leave it plugged in. I almost never see the GOM go into double digits.

Using the car the way I do, after almost a year to the day since purchase and 8900 miles, I've used 47 kWh/100miles measured with the charger and the odometer.
😸 ⚡ 2019 I-Pace HSE EV400 / Silicon Silver, Black / Siena Tan, Ebony, Oyster / 20" 5068's
🇺🇸 ✋ Detroit Michigan

MvM

Post by MvM » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 pm

malakai wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 pm
I drive the car like I'm being chased and don't want to be caught. High regen, no creep. I don't charge until the battery is below 80%, and then I always charge to 100% and leave it plugged in. I almost never see the GOM go into double digits.

Using the car the way I do, after almost a year to the day since purchase and 8900 miles, I've used 47 kWh/100miles measured with the charger and the odometer.
I think that if you are really driving the I-Pace like being chased :D :D an average use of 47 kWh/100 miles (29.4 kWh/100 km) is actually very decent.

LowOnCash

Post by LowOnCash » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I completed another mileage / battery test yesterday started off with a full charge showing 229 GOM miles. I drove a total of 117 miles with an average speed of 42 miles with no heat. Temperature was around 60 degrees. At the end of the trip, I drove 117 miles and had only 26 miles remaining (12%) showing so I lost around 86 miles.

When I put the I Pace back on charge with 26 miles / 12 % remaining, the battery took only 46 kw to top off the battery. this means there was still roughly 38kw remaining in the battery, so the pack was only discharged a bit over 50%. This is more than likely the missing 86 miles on the GOM.

When I divided my 117 miles into the 46 kw to recharge, it told me the cars drive train and motors are fine since my consumption is 2.54 miles per Kw, which is somewhat normal in cooler weather for the I Pace.

This might confirm the H264 update "More than Likely" just fixes the true bottom reading, so the battery can be depleted to the designed buffer space (3-4%). This might be the reason that many owners found they can run their Pre-H264 cars 20-30 miles after the GOM shows 0 miles. More than likely these cars are simply using the missing miles accumulated by the GOM's error to keep accurate readings.

Mike

GoneNuts

Post by GoneNuts » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 pm

This thread was closed by the moderator of the U.S. forum. No reason given but I suspect because of the many inaccurate statements of the previous post.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

That is just not how batteries work. Why come here for advice and then ignore literally every person’s advice? If you think your battery is still holding 40 kw when it shows empty (so unlikely it’s laughable) then just keep driving. Your car will go for another 80 miles and you’ll be right and everybody else will be wrong. Or it will stop and you’ll finally Just do what everyone on here and the US forum has suggested.

These tests are meaningless because you’re starting with the premise that the battery is showing zero when it’s really about 50% and then skewing your interpretation to reinforce it. It’s the definition of confirmation bias. You’re refusing to accept the possibility that your battery is only holding 46 kWh in the first place. This is a far more likely cause. Drive the car for 200 miles and prove us all wrong.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”