EV Myth Busted (Again)

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
SammyD

EV Myth Busted (Again)

Post by SammyD » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51977625

An article on the BBC talks about the myth that anti EV 'know it alls' keep on proclaiming. This is all about the amount of emissions an EV actually has over its useful life.

" The new research from the universities of Exeter, Nijmegen - in The Netherlands - and Cambridge shows that in 95% of the world, driving an electric car is better for the climate than a petrol car."

The exception is for places like Poland where Electricity is still largely generated by Coal Fired Power Stations.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19C_* Maps : whatever is current.

Norwegian Wood

Re: EV Myth Busted (Again)

Post by Norwegian Wood » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm

In addition, it is nice to know when you are driving I-Pace your contribution to Co2 emissions is Zero!
It doesn’t matter whatever country you buy electricity from under the EU Emission Trade Scheme (ETS). When people increasingly swap from ICEs to EVs the demand for electricity will increase, but electricity producers under EU ETS are not allowed to increase their emissions. There is a cap and increased demand therefore must be from (1) renewables, or (2) buying emission allowances which means other industries must reduce their emissions, (3) price increases so overall electricity demand is reduced. A mix of strategies will of cause be applied.

I-Pace S
MY 2020

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 am

Norwegian Wood wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm
In addition, it is nice to know when you are driving I-Pace your contribution to Co2 emissions is Zero!
It doesn’t matter whatever country you buy electricity from under the EU Emission Trade Scheme (ETS). When people increasingly swap from ICEs to EVs the demand for electricity will increase, but electricity producers under EU ETS are not allowed to increase their emissions. There is a cap and increased demand therefore must be from (1) renewables, or (2) buying emission allowances which means other industries must reduce their emissions, (3) price increases so overall electricity demand is reduced. A mix of strategies will of cause be applied.

I-Pace S
MY 2020
This is even better if you have some Solar at home. This past week has been pretty sunny here (makes a change from the Deluges we have seen in the last 6 months) and I've taken the charge on the I-Pace from 10% to 50% at zero cost in terms of units of leccy taken from the grid. Ok, using the granny charger is slooooooowwwww. But as we are all supposed to be staying at home it really does not matter that much.
My small PV system has generated close to 75kWh in the past week. Now if only I could capture that somehow...
If we ever get V2G working on CCS I could easily power my home and most car trips for 7 months a year without needing the grid at all.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19C_* Maps : whatever is current.

RodLaird

Post by RodLaird » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 am

In sunny Oz (Though "deep south" in Melbourne) we export about 6.5MWh/yr to the grid after consuming about 8MWh. (The utility pays us money...) With 20kWh of batteries to ensure we maximise self consumption we are expecting > 20,000km/yr in "free transport". The amortization of capital costs of vehicle and solar/battery is of course considerable.... But we feel good! (Greenwashing to be sure... :shock: ) At this stage unlikely to put that many kms...