Newbie charging questions

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Crazymind

Newbie charging questions

Post by Crazymind » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 am

Hi folks. Still quite confused about charging time and charge points on a long trip...
If I am correct our Ipace can take 22kwh on a DC charger. Meaning at home I can only get 7kwh on AC.
Are the charger points installed on public areas AC or DC?

Jelle v/d Meer

Re: Newbie charging questions

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 am
Hi folks. Still quite confused about charging time and charge points on a long trip...
If I am correct our Ipace can take 22kwh on a DC charger. Meaning at home I can only get 7kwh on AC.
No worries - let me try to explain it. Key to understand is that the speed you can charge is influenced by both the car and the charger.

Your question "Are the charger points installed on public areas AC or DC?"
Almost all home chargers are AC - the far majority of public chargers are AC - most fast chargers are DC and you tend to find them along the highway like Ionity, Fastned, etc.

Your question "If I am correct our Ipace can take 22kwh on a DC charger?"
You can charge faster on a DC charger - 22kW is an AC speed (3 phase 32 amps). DC speeds are 50kW or above.

Diving into more detail:
AC is called Type 2 and only uses the top part of the charging port plug.
DC is called CCS or Combo and uses both top & bottom part of charging port plug.

The MY2019-MY2020 I-pace has an 1 phase 32 amp onboards AC-DC converter which allows you to charge maximum gross 7.4kW per hour. If you connect to a 3 phase 16 amp charger (11kW charger) you will only charge with 3.7kW because the I-pace can't use the 2nd/3rd phase and the charge max aps is 16 so it is limited from both sides to 230 volt * 16 amps = 3.7kW. The new MY2021 I-pace can handle 3 phase 16 amps or 1 phase 32 amps NOT 3 phase 32 amps.

With DC charging there are more variables including outside temperature, SoC %, battery temperature, normal or liquid cooled cables and the DC charger max amps. So far the amps the I-pace DC charger can take is 250 and the voltage runs between 380-450 volt.
At a 50kW charger (125 amp * 400 volt) - the I-pace can maximum charge 50kW. Colder weather, multiple cars charging at that location, high SoC % will result in slow charge rates.
At HPC chargers the I-pace in theory could charge with 100kW but in real world it barely ever does and when it does usually only for short period (2-5 minutes). At some HPC chargers it is impossible - there are 100-160kW DC chargers with max 200 amps (200amps * 800 volt = 160kW) so on these the charger limited the amps to 200 and the I-pace limites the volts so max charge rate is 78-84kW if you SoC % is below 50%.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 56.718km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 am
You’ll find both, but what you need for fast charging en route is a CCS DC charger. There are many of them giving 50kw or faster. A lot of chargers currently installed have three connections: 50kw DC (Chademo) which can’t be used with the I-Pace, 50 kw DC CCS which is the one you want, and an AC connection - can be anywhere for 11 to 43kw but 22kw is common on these chargers (with the MY19 & 20 you’ll get maximum 7kw from this and with MY21 you’ll get a maximum of 11kw from this). Chargers that are faster than 50kw are cropping up and becoming more common, but bear in mind your absolute Max charge rate will be 100 kw, so not worth choosing a 375kw Ionity over a 150kw BP charger as both will only give the I-Pace 100kw at best (it will actually more likely be around 80kw for most of the charge).

I know it’s all a bit confusing but you soon get used to it! A Better Route Planner will help if you download their app. You just put in your car and it will only show you chargers you can use and will stick to fast chargers.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm
but bear in mind your absolute Max charge rate will be 100 kw, so not worth choosing a 375kw Ionity over a 150kw BP charger as both will only give the I-Pace 100kw at best (it will actually more likely be around 80kw for most of the charge).
Be aware that there are actually 2 main groups of 100kw-160kw DC chargers and sadly in most cases it is impossible to know in advance which one is which.
A) High voltage - lower amps (500-800 volt * 200 amps)
B) Lower voltage - higher amps (400 volt * 250-400 amps)

On type A - the I-pace is limited to 80kW-84kW as peak charging rates.
On type B - the I-pace in theory could charge 100kW at peak but in most cases is limited to 80kW.

From 175kW and up the amps of the charger will always be equal or higher than what the I-pace can handle so charging speed is not limited by the charger only by the I-pace.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 56.718km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Thanks. Answer Little bit more complex than expected... :) I will definitely need to learn something more about electricity. I am stack at switch on/off.

ElectricEm

Post by ElectricEm » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello, more newbie charging questions if I may ... I took delivery of my new iPace today and am very excited although apprehensive about public charging. I’ve downloaded various apps and read many posts on this forum, and am really looking (I think) for some specific direction ...

If the iPace is limited on AC power to 7kWh but I want a faster charge, how can I search on Zap Map or similar for a 22kWh or 50kWh DC charger? Are there certain networks, or what determines it? When I had the demo car, I thought I’d charge it while I had dinner and a pint but was most disappointed to have added just 10 miles after over an hours charging! Thanks!

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:16 pm

ElectricEm wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Hello, more newbie charging questions if I may ... I took delivery of my new iPace today and am very excited although apprehensive about public charging. I’ve downloaded various apps and read many posts on this forum, and am really looking (I think) for some specific direction ...

If the iPace is limited on AC power to 7kWh but I want a faster charge, how can I search on Zap Map or similar for a 22kWh or 50kWh DC charger? Are there certain networks, or what determines it? When I had the demo car, I thought I’d charge it while I had dinner and a pint but was most disappointed to have added just 10 miles after over an hours charging! Thanks!
Zap-Map provides a filter for the type of connection so you can filter on CCS connector and 50kWh. The filter button looks like a capital 'Y' in the top right hand corner -> Connector Types -> Rapid -> . You can also add CCS 150kW and CCS 350kW though the I-Pace will normally only go to a maximum of about 80 kW despite Jaguar's claims. You can then Save your filters if you wish. Finally touch Apply on the top row.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm

You cannot charge an IPace at present on 22kw that is 3 phase, so it’s single phase AC 7kw or DC 50KW. If the charger says 150kw or 300kw your IPace will decide how fast to charge depending on temperature and state of charge, Jaguar seem to be very conservative on charge rate allowed.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm
You cannot charge an IPace at present on 22kw that is 3 phase, so it’s single phase AC 7kw or DC 50KW. If the charger says 150kw or 300kw your IPace will decide how fast to charge depending on temperature and state of charge, Jaguar seem to be very conservative on charge rate allowed.
There are a few (not many) 22kw DC chargers around. The I-Pace will charge fine on those at 22 kw. On AC the best you will get is 7 kw.

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Crazymind, if you're planning a trip then you'll also want to consider which network runs the chargers that you're most likely to stop at. This is a whole thread in itself, but I had some very frustrating and stressful experiences in my first month or two of ownership as I realised I needed to join 10 different suppliers - for me in UK that was Ubitricity, ESB, Polar, SourceLondon, ecotricity, SWARCO, ChargeYourCar, ChargePoint, Shell Recharge. You may find others in Scotland.

Some need you to join first then get an RfID card, others are pay-as-you-go, most have apps, some use web still, most will want a profile & your card details added, etc etc.... you really don't want to be trying to set that all up at 10pm outside Hull, in the rain, while the family talks about how easy diesel was.
First Edition, Photon red, 22" wheels.