I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jelle v/d Meer

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:47 am

mclarenpaul wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 am
:D . I'll have one charge on the trip anyway, so will be very conservative. My next big one will be to the Ardeche where I'll probably need to charge 3 times. Shame that this heavily used route from NL through BE, LU and FR all the way to the South of France isn't covered by Ionity or one of the other big players with >100kW charging and multiple charging bays :( .
Indeed odd and a shame - this weekend I am driving more than a 100km extra due to similar absence of HPC Infrastructure in Czech as well as uncertainty on reliability. So instead of driving from SK through CZ into Germany, I am taking the long route via Austria,

I will be driving approx 3,000km (1,250km trip, 200km trip, 1,450km trip and some local driving) during Eastern weekend whereby approx a 1,000km I have to 50kW chargers (Eastern Austria and all of SK). The newly loaded battery software will have no effect there but hopefully with have an effect on the chargers between home and west Austria.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

emgf

Post by emgf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Take care and enjoy
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018

anorak

Post by anorak » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 am
So we have Bjorn achieving 217 mile range in cold conditions and Chewy reporting 286 miles with his HVAC on at speeds up to 70mph. I cannot get better than 240 miles driving at 56mph with every ounce of conservation of momentum. I detect some disdain for IAM in the responses but the IAM teaches driving at legal speeds using absolute minimal braking, taking the shortest path in bends and roundabouts, applying smooth power inputs and making use of the momentum of the vehicle to get the best possible fuel consumption, albeit using ICE vehicles. Chewy says that a range test on a flat, smooth race track won’t prove anything because he has a driving technique on the road that is not comparable and he’s consistently driving 50 miles further on a charge than any other I-Pace owner. I think it’s time we held a properly moderated group test rather than argue in the forum.
Er, no.

Bjorn's 217 mile range test was carried out at a temperature of -5C. Chewy's data is recorded at +10 to +12C. There is a significant difference in battery efficiency between these temperatures. Jaguar's range calculator, which I've found to be spot on with my own figures, suggests a 15% increase which would put Bjorn's range at 250 miles at 10C.

I haven't seen Chewy reporting a 286 mile range at up to 70mph anywhere? His constant speed runs and long trip averages equate to around 270 miles at 55mph and 230 miles at 65mph.

Over the last 3 months my own consumption has been around 8 to 10% higher than Chewy's. So maybe a 20 or 25 mile difference. And I don't drive economically and haven't been anywhere near the ECO button.

Are you really saying his efficiency screenshots have been (expertly) Photoshopped?

Perhaps it is just the case that, as with any ICE vehicle, not all examples of the i-Pace achieve exactly the same efficiency. Likewise with the driver.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels, MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19A_19.20.4-363281 || Telematics: 14.2

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Chewy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am
elbocko wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 am
Well reported, Chewy. Please ignore the keyboard warrior. I am an IAM member and agree with everything you have written and have no cause to doubt you. PS Also enjoy your other posts.
Thank you sir :-)

By the way, I have nothing against IAM drivers, but anyone who deliberately drives on the wrong side of the road “to get a better line”, should only be driving a car with the blue light flashing.
IAM drivers do not offside. They do take the most efficient legal and safe line through bends.

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm

I have not accused anyone of lying, but Chewy said in his post that he was confident that he would achieve 300 mile range when the temperature increased, and I don't think that is possible. I made a trip to Huntingdon today and had plenty of time in hand, so I tried an economy run in both directions. I drove with extreme care well within legal limits, mostly between 50 and 65mph on the A14 and only touched the brake pedal when coming to a stop. I switched off the HVAC but I did listen to the radio. My car has been ceramic coated so it's as slippery as an I-Pace is going to get. Temperature on the outbound trip was 13degC and on the inbound 20degC. There was virtually no wind. The car was pre-conditioned before departure and stood in direct sunlight in Huntingdon for about 3 hours before the return trip. The slight difference in distance was down to the one-way system in Huntingdon. I do not believe that it would be possible to conserve energy more effectively but if it were then the difference would have been minuscule, especially as most of the trip is relatively flat. I reset the GOM before departing. I've summarised the result in the attached table.
On the basis that I would want to leave at least fifteen miles (real, not indicated) range in the battery for safety the maximum usable range on this test would be 258.97 miles, although the GOM would have been at zero long before that occurred and I doubt that I would have had the courage to explore the limit. I included the extrapolated regeneration for the entire range however I have no idea whether indicated regeneration converts to actual battery charge, but for the purpose of this calculation I've assumed that it has.
I could not normally drive at these pedestrian speeds as it brought me into conflict with slower traffic and it was very boring, in fact I'd go as far as to say that it was borderline dangerous at times as faster vehicles cut in or tailgated waiting to overtake.
Regarding the GOM, it may be representative if one's driving style is very consistent but I take a view depending upon the range I need. If I want all of the range capacity within the day I'll take it easy but if I don't I like to use the car's potential. That will obviously result in an inaccurate range calculation, so resets are closer to reality than the accumulated range coefficient would be.
Relative to Chewy's anticipated 300 miles I would have to extend my range by 41 miles, equivalent to almost 14kWh at the average consumption rate displayed by my car over 133.5 miles. I would also have to rely on the regen indicated turning into real capacity without any losses. Unless higher temperatures seriously improve the battery performance 300 miles remains, in my view, unattainable.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 16.49.28.png

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm
I have not accused anyone of lying,
Um..... Ya did.
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 pm
Chewy’s route is all motorway with a fair amount of 50mph road works but there are some long uphill stretches too. I drive the same route very often (I live in Nuneaton) and I am quite sure that whatever he’s doing he’s not getting the range he’s claiming. I don’t believe that he’s not resetting his GOM either, otherwise he wouldn’t be displaying exactly what the default range of the I-Pace gives you on reset at 100% charge.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Sorry guys the only way you can reliably extrapolate range from a trip is to drive X miles, starting at A SoC, ending at B SoC, somewhere between 25% and 85% SoC where the SoC estimate is linear, and then calculating as follows:

Range = X miles / (A - B)
For example
Range = 100 miles driven / (80% start SoC - 30% end SoC) = 200 miles.

That's going to be the most reliable estimate of range. It avoids the idiosyncrasies at low SoC and high SoC.

The GoM will vary (not much, but it's a confounding variable), which is why you don't use GoM for this. And at the risk of repeating myself, the car's consumption figures in the Trip display are *incorrect*, systematically giving lower estimates than actual consumption.

To control for local conditions you want to drive half of that going from here to there and then immediately turn around and going from there to here. Otherwise your consumption is systematically biased by local conditions such as elevation or wind. And yeah obviously temperature matters a great deal.

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Um..... Ya did.
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Chewy’s route is all motorway with a fair amount of 50mph road works but there are some long uphill stretches too. I drive the same route very often (I live in Nuneaton) and I am quite sure that whatever he’s doing he’s not getting the range he’s claiming. I don’t believe that he’s not resetting his GOM either, otherwise he wouldn’t be displaying exactly what the default range of the I-Pace gives you on reset at 100% charge.
If you say so, but lying is a strong word and I'm saying that he may be genuine in his belief that he's going to crack 300 mile range but it does not compute unless he has a longer range I-Pace than I.

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:10 pm

sciencegeek wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm
Sorry guys the only way you can reliably extrapolate range from a trip is to drive X miles, starting at A SoC, ending at B SoC, somewhere between 25% and 85% SoC where the SoC estimate is linear, and then calculating as follows:

Range = X miles / (A - B)
For example
Range = 100 miles driven / (80% start SoC - 30% end SoC) = 200 miles.

That's going to be the most reliable estimate of range. It avoids the idiosyncrasies at low SoC and high SoC.

The GoM will vary (not much, but it's a confounding variable), which is why you don't use GoM for this. And at the risk of repeating myself, the car's consumption figures in the Trip display are *incorrect*, systematically giving lower estimates than actual consumption.

To control for local conditions you want to drive half of that going from here to there and then immediately turn around and going from there to here. Otherwise your consumption is systematically biased by local conditions such as elevation or wind. And yeah obviously temperature matters a great deal.
I calculated a there and back trip in calm wind conditions for that very reason. Of course the SoC is variable, but that makes the numbers even worse that the linear calculation I provided ( I don't want to be accused of making it look any worse than it is). I have yet to do a trip using any driving style where I did not reach battery low indication within 220 miles.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Um..... Ya did.
Captain.Plummet wrote:
If you say so, but lying is a strong word and I'm saying that he may be genuine in his belief that he's going to crack 300 mile range but it does not compute unless he has a longer range I-Pace than I.
No. You accused him, in black and white, of resetting his GoM and denying it. And said you do not believe he is getting the range he is claiming. It's not a case of "if I say so". Those are your words above, quoted verbatim. So yes, you did.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”