All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ChrisSB

Re: MY21 2.0.8a update

Post by ChrisSB » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:51 am

rad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
electric beagle wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm

All MY21s have 2 internal eSIMs. In fact you can't fit a conventional SIM card (unless the 320 is radically different). The internal Comms eSIM for Nav and SOTA as well as location services doesn't ever show its presence you don't even see a signal strength for it but logically it should be identical to the second connection for media etc.
In my previous Jaguar F-Pace, I fitted a pre-paid SIM card. Is this no longer the case for the MY21 I-Pace? (I am still awaiting delivery of the new car, so am interested in knowing if I should get a new 3rd party pre-paid SIM). Thanks!
I only had a quick look but there was certainly no SIM slot in the cabin area.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 pm

ChrisSB wrote:
electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am
ChrisSB wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:33 am

My car doesn't have the Wi-Fi hotspot and I see 4G and signal strength on the display. I assume this must be for the inbuilt SIM for SOTA and NAV etc.
And associated services from Pivi, like Spotify etc. The Hotspot just gets you more data for connecting additional devices but you can get this data more cheaply on better mobile networks so its somewhat redundant. All MY21 iPaces (certainly in the UK) come with 3 years of connected services using the eSIM.
Yes I get that, but I was just saying you said that that the internal SIM doesn't show it's presence. On mine it seems to unless that's something different?

Online pack with Data plan is only 1 year.
It behaves a little differently when a phone is connected though then it doesn't show signal strength just 4g. And yes my bad the online pack is one year.

So the question for the person who said they don't have a SIM added is whether it shows its presence as an eSIm which is fairly subtle. Fundamentally though the car has to be connected it just doesn't function fully without connectivity.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm

rad wrote:
electric beagle wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm

All MY21s have 2 internal eSIMs. In fact you can't fit a conventional SIM card (unless the 320 is radically different). The internal Comms eSIM for Nav and SOTA as well as location services doesn't ever show its presence you don't even see a signal strength for it but logically it should be identical to the second connection for media etc.
In my previous Jaguar F-Pace, I fitted a pre-paid SIM card. Is this no longer the case for the MY21 I-Pace? (I am still awaiting delivery of the new car, so am interested in knowing if I should get a new 3rd party pre-paid SIM). Thanks!
There is no conventional SIM slot no (despite what the pretty useless iGuide says), so a third party SIM is a non starter in theory it should be possible to upload a new eSIM as you can on the latest phones (physical Sims are yesterday's technology) but Jaguar currently offer no means to do this.

I assume the latest FPace with Pivi is exactly the same.

It feels to.me as of the car uses phone data when it is connected but it's hard to show this, so that may be one way around it but that remains to be seen. However as above you get a year of data bundled with the new car.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:06 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 pm
ChrisSB wrote:
electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am

And associated services from Pivi, like Spotify etc. The Hotspot just gets you more data for connecting additional devices but you can get this data more cheaply on better mobile networks so its somewhat redundant. All MY21 iPaces (certainly in the UK) come with 3 years of connected services using the eSIM.
Yes I get that, but I was just saying you said that that the internal SIM doesn't show it's presence. On mine it seems to unless that's something different?

Online pack with Data plan is only 1 year.
It behaves a little differently when a phone is connected though then it doesn't show signal strength just 4g. And yes my bad the online pack is one year.

So the question for the person who said they don't have a SIM added is whether it shows its presence as an eSIm which is fairly subtle. Fundamentally though the car has to be connected it just doesn't function fully without connectivity.

My car does not have a Sim of any kind fitted as it's not permitted on JLR cars delivered in Gibraltar.
From the dealer's car configurator:

Due to telecoms license restrictions all telematics features are CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE for
cars supplied via Gibraltar. This affects options such as:

- InControl Apps, Traffic Sign Recognition
- Adaptive Speed Limiter
- Blind Spot Assist (restriction applies to F-Pace only)

Please note that these restrictions apply even if the configurator shows that the option is available.

Unquote

However, I do have wifi, Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Cruise Control but as there is no sim fitted I do not have an InControl account so cannot set up a profile that probably wouldn't work anyway :lol:
MY21HSE, Eiger Grey, Oyster interior, Black pack, Privacy glass, Panoramic sunroof, Clearsight mirror.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:35 pm

That's interesting I wonder if it's an issue with JLRs supplier of choice O2/Telefonica

The WiFi connection does persist though while the car is parked that's the whole point of it to enable SOTA updates as it's pretty useless for anything else (the documentation says something like it is only used for SOTA updates if I recall correctly) and that won't make sense if it only works while the car is turned on.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18 am

electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:35 pm
That's interesting I wonder if it's an issue with JLRs supplier of choice O2/Telefonica

The WiFi connection does persist though while the car is parked that's the whole point of it to enable SOTA updates as it's pretty useless for anything else (the documentation says something like it is only used for SOTA updates if I recall correctly) and that won't make sense if it only works while the car is turned on.
I can confirm the WIFI does persist when the car is locked. I checked to make sure the car was connected to my home network then locked it. The car stayed connected for at least 15 minutes after which I stopped monitoring. The car showed as InControlDevice and manufacturer LgElectr.

IMG_1880.PNG

MY21HSE, Eiger Grey, Oyster interior, Black pack, Privacy glass, Panoramic sunroof, Clearsight mirror.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:51 am

electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm
There is no conventional SIM slot no (despite what the pretty useless iGuide says), so a third party SIM is a non starter in theory it should be possible to upload a new eSIM as you can on the latest phones (physical Sims are yesterday's technology) but Jaguar currently offer no means to do this.

It feels to.me as of the car uses phone data when it is connected but it's hard to show this, so that may be one way around it but that remains to be seen. However as above you get a year of data bundled with the new car.
I just got my new MY21 and I discovered that there is no slot for a phisical SIM: I was fooled too by IGuide but consdiering that it has the instruction for automatic parking (!!!!!) I guess it's hopless.
That being said, does anybody has understood if in MY21 the traffic data is made using a connected phone ? Other question, is there a way to enable the Wifi hotspot in the car ?
I'm already missing my "old" MY20 from this point of view :D
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 am

kermit68 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:51 am
electric beagle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm

I just got my new MY21 and I discovered that there is no slot for a phisical SIM: I was fooled too by IGuide but consdiering that it has the instruction for automatic parking (!!!!!) I guess it's hopless.
That being said, does anybody has understood if in MY21 the traffic data is made using a connected phone ? Other question, is there a way to enable the Wifi hotspot in the car ?
I'm already missing my "old" MY20 from this point of view :D
This isn't documented anywhere but I am pretty sure that the car uses the phone data for all data when a data enabled phone is connected. The giveaway for me is that the car signal strength disappears whenever a phone is connected, you still see the 4G lit but the signal strength is suppressed until the phone is unplugged. The data flow is far better and faster when my phone is plugged in too.

The wifi hotspot is easily enabled using the connectivity setting menu in the car BUT you are limited to 500Mb a month in total and its worse than using your phone data so wonder why anyone would bother.

To be fair I think the sales literature does document the eSIM rather than physical SIM slot so this is not a steer/assist or park assist level problem.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:43 am

electric beagle wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 am

This isn't documented anywhere but I am pretty sure that the car uses the phone data for all data when a data enabled phone is connected. The giveaway for me is that the car signal strength disappears whenever a phone is connected, you still see the 4G lit but the signal strength is suppressed until the phone is unplugged. The data flow is far better and faster when my phone is plugged in too.

The wifi hotspot is easily enabled using the connectivity setting menu in the car BUT you are limited to 500Mb a month in total and its worse than using your phone data so wonder why anyone would bother.

To be fair I think the sales literature does document the eSIM rather than physical SIM slot so this is not a steer/assist or park assist level problem.
Thanks, I'll experiment a little bit as soon as I can then.
On the MY21 I-Giude (at least the italian version) there is a picture of the physical SIM slot under the arm rest that actually does not exist in reality. I wonder how it's possible. Maybe is not as bad as the steering assit or park assist problem but still it's heavily misleading.
And what bothers me is that with the physical sim in the MY20 the signal strengh was far better then my phone because of the external antenna.
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:06 pm

kermit68 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:43 am
electric beagle wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 am

Thanks, I'll experiment a little bit as soon as I can then.
On the MY21 I-Giude (at least the italian version) there is a picture of the physical SIM slot under the arm rest that actually does not exist in reality. I wonder how it's possible. Maybe is not as bad as the steering assit or park assist problem but still it's heavily misleading.
And what bothers me is that with the physical sim in the MY20 the signal strengh was far better then my phone because of the external antenna.
Yes the iGuide is just crap, so many errors I gave up when I saw the erroneous reference to a SIM Slot and parking assist. They have clearly just copied the previous version, made minor changes but not done a full check of points of difference.