Reverse lights flashing

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
MartijnEV

Reverse lights flashing

Post by MartijnEV » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Anyone else have the issue with the reverse lights that they randomly flash off and on, most often two times off-on?

It appears to me that it happens especially when I brake a bit firmer while driving in reverse, or drive over a bump etc.

Must be something like a loose contact.

i-Pace has a service appointment next week, will certainly ask them to repair this.
The Netherlands
i-Pace S, Fuji White, panorama roof, 18” wheels, heated seats, interior ioniser, front fog lights
Build date: 7 Nov 2018 | Delivery: 3 Dec 2018 |Telematics: 15.2 | InControl: S18D | Maps: 8.30.92.153

Tophe74

Re: Reverse lights flashing

Post by Tophe74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 pm

I noticed it. I think the light only turn on when the car moves and turn off when car stop.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 am

I noticed today that the reversing lights don’t seem to come on until you actually start moving. Not sure that’s a great idea as pedestrians and other drivers would probably like to know before you start moving.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

MartijnEV

Post by MartijnEV » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 pm

No I’m sure this is not intended behaviour.
The reverse lights go off and on in an absolute random manner. See this video:

What I noticed is that it happens mostly when I brake more firmly. When braking very lightly the lights stay on. So it must be something like a loose contact, loose connector or loose or bad ground connection. The other lights in the tailgate seem to stay on and also the reverse audio signal is not interrupted, so really only the reverse lights are affected it seems.
The Netherlands
i-Pace S, Fuji White, panorama roof, 18” wheels, heated seats, interior ioniser, front fog lights
Build date: 7 Nov 2018 | Delivery: 3 Dec 2018 |Telematics: 15.2 | InControl: S18D | Maps: 8.30.92.153

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 pm

I suspect it’s more to do with when the vehicle comes to a stop in all honesty. I’ve noticed on mine that the reverse lights come on once the car is in reverse and there is some downward pressure on the accelerator. Looking at the brake lights it looks to me like the reverse lights flicker a bit just after the vehicle stops while your foot is on the brake almost like it is deciding whether or not you are reversing now. They come on when you start to press the accelerator but before you start moving. I may be wrong but that’s how it appears. I think it’s down to the fact that the reversing lights don’t come on as soon as reverse is selected but only once pressure is applied to the accelerator. More confusing if you are start/stop reversing. Personally I don’t think that’s the best way for them to configure the reverse lights but I feel that’s how they’re set up. Maybe it’s something to do with the reversing “beeps” and then not wanting them to make a noise unless the car is moving. Just a guess.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

Tophe74

Post by Tophe74 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 pm

No the car is beeping as soon u engage reverse even if don't move. So ppl know u ll move backward but the light only turn on when u move. A bit annoying because if their is something behind u don't see it before u move ... Strange implementation of backward lights ..
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am

Yeah I honestly don’t understand why the lights don’t come on as soon as you select “R”.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am
Yeah I honestly don’t understand why the lights don’t come on as soon as you select “R”.
That will be down to the Indian software engineers that programmed it .... Based upon a specification they are given by some management geek from the UK who probably rides a pushbike and has never been near a car in his/her life.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up.

npritchard

Post by npritchard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am

Chewy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am
Goshdarnit wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am
That will be down to the Indian software engineers that programmed it .... Based upon a specification they are given by some management geek from the UK who probably rides a pushbike and has never been near a car in his/her life.
:lol: So true.
First Edition Corris Grey - Originally October delivery, then delayed until January but delivered Christmas Eve!

MartijnEV

Post by MartijnEV » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Could this be caused by the insufficient ground-earth issue rear part of vehicle/tailgate that is referred to in TOPIx service bulletin SSM74195 ? VIN's up to F67830 can be affected by this issue. My i-Pace's VIN is within this range.

Probleem:
Onvoldoende contact met massa aan de achterkant van de hemelbekleding - diverse symptomen of foutcodes als gevolg van een slechte massa-aansluiting bij de volgende massapunten -
Massa's achterklepkabelboom: G4D476, G4D180XT en G4D149EA, G4D149E (zie afbeelding 1 en 2)
Verder:
Massa's kabelboom spoiler: G9D132, G9D116
Massapunt voor RF-filter in het midden van de hemelbekleding achter (zie afbeelding 1)
De klant kan de volgende symptomen opmerken op auto's tot en met VIN F67830. Elektrisch bediende achterklep werkt niet
Vergrendelen/ontgrendelen achterklep werkt niet
Mogelijke ontlading extra accu 12 V (B19)
Achterruitverwarming werkt niet
Waarschuwing van verminderd rempedaalgevoel
Andere mogelijke storingen kunnen verband houden met het probleem met de massa
Oorzaak:
Er is sprake van overtollige lak op de kogelgewrichten van de massa, wat zorgt voor een slecht contact met de massa.
The Netherlands

Return to “Faults & Technical”