Article in Dutch press

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
EDi99

Re: Article in Dutch press

Post by EDi99 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Range is influenced by speed, weather conditions and height differences. All the other factors are minimal.
Picture show impact off avg speed (on the same day, 5 charge moments - trip form Amsterdam to Berlin (850km)

usage.jpg

Chimpils

Post by Chimpils » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:45 pm

And rim size. 13 percent difference between 22 inches and 18 according to jaguar. Probably even higher. Should never been 22 inches as an option:)

Same with tesla
https://insideevs.com/wheel-size-impact ... fficiency/

EDi99

Post by EDi99 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

You're very right - never considered anything else except 19 inch. Too much noise as well otherwise.

M@rkie78

Post by M@rkie78 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I am one of those "idiots" who chose 22" on the I-Pace, however I cannot agree on the noise and comfort opinion. I really do love the smooth and quiet ride plus the car handles even better.

If really so, 13% loss on range is a petty though.

But I don't understand how a bigger rim size can have such an impact; the total diameter of the wheel stays the same, it's just the width that increases (235-255). Please enlighten me :)
HSE, Farallon black, 22" 5 Split Spoke, Carbon Fibre Exterior, Mars Red interior, almost full option 8-)

Chimpils

Post by Chimpils » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I dont think you are an idiot, but I think jaguar should have told us about the issue before selling the car. The 22inches look awesome but rangewise I cannot afford them. I think many would have chosen 20/18 if they knew, and the range problems would have been drastically reduced.

I think we need a technical person to explain the difference. To my knowledge it is weight factors, width factors and a gravity factor. The more centered the gravity is, the better for acceleration and efficiency. Bigger rims have more weight distributed away from the center, making the gravity move away from the ideal = more power needed to accelerate and maintain speed.
I am no math professor so this needs verification

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Yes, I don’t understand either. The limited information I have managed to find on Google indicates that low profile tyres have LOWER rolling resistance than “normal” tyres. Which makes sense, as RR mostly comes from hysteresis losses in the rubber, and LP tyres deflect less, so should have less hysteresis...

But there is lots of empirical evidence out there that LP tyres have a significant negative impact on range, so some other factors must be dominant. The increased aero drag I would think was small. Perhaps it is the much higher cornering losses from the scrubbing of a wider contact patch? Permanent scrubbing losses from toe-in on front wheels? Do the LP tyres have a different tread pattern or rubber compound? Or a lower recommended pressure? Does anyone out there have any info on this? (Chimpils, If LP tyres & rims are significantly heavier, that may indeed be a factor, but are they?)

The reasons may be a mystery, but the effect seems to be real and significant. I’ve always been “anti” LP tyres as having a harsher ride, but thought the 20s looked so much better than 18s on the I-Pace that I went for them. I’m not unhappy with my decision, but I do feel JLR should have pointed out the range impact, especially as Ian Callum is always harping on about how good it looks with 22s...
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

d111112

Post by d111112 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Maybe it's the combination of increased air drag, more rolling resistance and more weight (unsprung masses => might have a big impact, too).
I Pace EV400 S, fuji white, air susp, 18“/20“, 02/2019
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 || Telematics: 14.2
... :arrow: Didi

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 pm

https://www.ecalc.ch/evcalc.php

According to this site, wintertires and all weather tires have very negative impact on range (more than 15 percent)

The S (18 inch) has all weather tires so not sure if this is helping..

Tophe74

Post by Tophe74 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm

That's why it's better to put smaller wheels for winter. U can negate the winter's tires malus.
I did with my FE and didn't notice a change in range.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18

Jacques-Noir

Post by Jacques-Noir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am

Why don’t they have wheels like the i3. High but small. Still looks good.
An I-PACE is a Tesla for people with good taste

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”