RESOLVED :‘Unbalanced’ front motor (drive unit) sound between 80-95 km/h

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
MartijnEV

Re: ‘Unbalanced’ front motor (drive unit) sound between 80-95 km/h

Post by MartijnEV » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Mine is going in for service end of this month, hopefully they can now fix it fully, including the root cause of the issue.
The Netherlands
i-Pace S, Fuji White, panorama roof, 18” wheels, heated seats, interior ioniser, front fog lights
Build date: 7 Nov 2018 | Delivery: 3 Dec 2018 |Telematics: 15.2 | InControl: S18D | Maps: 8.30.95.153

MartijnEV

RESOLVED: ‘Unbalanced’ front motor (drive unit) sound between 80-95 km/h

Post by MartijnEV » Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Great news after all!
The root cause is finally found: one of the two front drive shafts was stuck in the joint. A production fault. So the shaft stayed straight where it should have bent. This caused - due to the wrong angles of the shaft coupling on the gears - a high tension on the differential/gear box in the EDU. Hence the annoying unbalanced sounds, the unusual vibrations, and the extremely high wear of the gear box/EDU.
The dealer replaced both drive shafts ánd the EDU this week, so my I-Pace now has a completely brand new front drive system. I picked up my I-Pace today and....: I am a very happy man now. All annoying sounds and vibrations have disappeared. The I-Pace now drives silently and perfectly, as perfect as never before. Excellent service by JLR in the end.

One additional comment: I understood that this issue could only occur on I-Paces with steel springs, due to the fixed height. So if you have air suspension this might not be applicable to your car. But I’m not 100% sure abou that.
The Netherlands
i-Pace S, Fuji White, panorama roof, 18” wheels, heated seats, interior ioniser, front fog lights
Build date: 7 Nov 2018 | Delivery: 3 Dec 2018 |Telematics: 15.2 | InControl: S18D | Maps: 8.30.95.153

odogan

Re: RESOLVED :‘Unbalanced’ front motor (drive unit) sound between 80-95 km/h

Post by odogan » Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm curious about the sound you're mentioning. Sometimes when I hit the floor, I think my front engine is vibrating. Not clearly enough to say it's an unbalanced engine or something, but maybe it's an upcoming problem?
The Netherlands
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Panoramic roof, 20” wheels, Adaptive Dynamics with Air Suspension, Black Ext. Pack, HUD

gnuijen

Post by gnuijen » Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am

So question: how silent should the iPace drive? Because I can also hear the ringing (whirring?) of the engines quite well. Do you hear the engines at all?

I did notice in the model 3 and kona from my colleague's that those seem more silent then the iPace. And I think they should not be?

odogan

Post by odogan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 am

The engine sound is indeed noticable, but I'm talking about a light vibration-like sound. I'll compare mine with another car soon
The Netherlands
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Panoramic roof, 20” wheels, Adaptive Dynamics with Air Suspension, Black Ext. Pack, HUD

fantonsen

Post by fantonsen » Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm

I have also noticed a strange sound lately, and wonder if it could be something similar, or if this might be something else.

Hopefully you can hear my noise here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rmp8fet5nif6 ... e.wav?dl=0

Unfortunately there is a lot of wind-noise here since I am driving at a speed of 80-90 km/h, but if you use a headset and a somewhat high volume, you should be able to hear a faint klirrrrrrrrrr-ing noise in this clip. Not in the first few seconds, but a bit on and off during the rest.

Can you confirm if this is the same noise, or not?

To best describe my noise, it is more like a klirrrrr-ing noise that only appears when the car is driving with quite heavy load on the engine.
I feel it must come from the engine itself, or maybe the drivetrain?

Usually this only occurs when driving up a long steep hill with high speed, so the engine has to work hard and constantly upwards.
A perfect place (where I first noticed the noise) was up from a under-water tunnel, with a constant speed of 85 km/h.
Any other speed or power, and the noise dissapear. And also the same speed on a flat surface has no noise.
Only a high speed (80+ km/h), AND a high power output (to accelerate or keep up the speed uphill)
And it seems to only be there when the engine is warm as well. (but difficult to tell for sure since there are few hills nearby suitable to test this)

Anyone else heard something similar to this?
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S | Firenze red | Delivered September 2018

odogan

Post by odogan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 pm

fantonsen wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm
I have also noticed a strange sound lately, and wonder if it could be something similar, or if this might be something else.

Hopefully you can hear my noise here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rmp8fet5nif6 ... e.wav?dl=0

Unfortunately there is a lot of wind-noise here since I am driving at a speed of 80-90 km/h, but if you use a headset and a somewhat high volume, you should be able to hear a faint klirrrrrrrrrr-ing noise in this clip. Not in the first few seconds, but a bit on and off during the rest.

Can you confirm if this is the same noise, or not?

To best describe my noise, it is more like a klirrrrr-ing noise that only appears when the car is driving with quite heavy load on the engine.
I feel it must come from the engine itself, or maybe the drivetrain?

Usually this only occurs when driving up a long steep hill with high speed, so the engine has to work hard and constantly upwards.
A perfect place (where I first noticed the noise) was up from a under-water tunnel, with a constant speed of 85 km/h.
Any other speed or power, and the noise dissapear. And also the same speed on a flat surface has no noise.
Only a high speed (80+ km/h), AND a high power output (to accelerate or keep up the speed uphill)
And it seems to only be there when the engine is warm as well. (but difficult to tell for sure since there are few hills nearby suitable to test this)

Anyone else heard something similar to this?
It's very hard to hear like you said, but I really think mine sounds the same as yours. @martijnev did your "shaft"-issue also sound like this?
The Netherlands

MartijnEV

Post by MartijnEV » Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm

It is very hard to hear from this audio recording, but I can confirm that 'normal' engine sound is still a kind of whirring sound.

Before the repair to my front drive unit, the sound was much louder and much more an 'unbalanced' sound, and when accelerating there was quite a lot of vibration in the front of the car. After the repair the whirring sound is still there, but much quieter and more 'smooth', more 'round' kind of sound, and the heavy vibrations are gone now. Sorry for the wording but describing a noise/sound in words is kind of almost impossible :-D
The Netherlands

odogan

Post by odogan » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Ok, so you are saying this normal. I'll compare it with another car soon.
The Netherlands

Return to “Faults & Technical”